Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:38:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Aquatic stuff [some scenery added, page2]  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
Aquatic stuff [some scenery added, page2]
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:04:21 PM »
I've been meaning to post stuff up here for so long and never got around to it, so tonight I have bitten the bullet and will post a few piccies of my work so far.

It began with stumbling across the Reaper Pearl Mermaid model (which I still haven't finished!) and wanting to make some sort of a game around her. I looked at my collection of unmade lead and plastic, and found some GW Dryads. With a little bit of work I've turned them into water-dwelling gribblies. I also found myself a Reaper Sea Creature as well, and is also nearly finished. The sharks are from MegaMiniatures.
Anyway, without further ado, a couple of very poor photos of my project thus far:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vabptil3gyvxunk/IMAG0179.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7c6e9a0ck8vmysf/IMAG0180.jpg

They look better in real life. Promise :)
Next on the list - Sea Elves, and a Lizardfolk Shaman.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:09:01 AM by Estarriol »

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
Re: Aquatic stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:07:37 PM »
It's terribly vexing. I can't insert the images using the button above (I just just need to copy the links into them, right?). Any tips?

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:29:11 PM »
EDIT - ok, my idea didn't work. Perhaps you should host them in ImageShack or Photobucket, rather than Dropbox. I did notice that both your links are to https locations which may be the problem  ???
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:30:50 PM by Mister Rab »

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 10:35:25 PM »
It likes Photobucket apparently!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:55:07 PM »
Nice use of those dryads here.  8)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:13:05 AM by white knight »

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:41:39 AM »
Looking good: can't wait to see 'em in the flesh! Have you settled on a rules set yet? Also, I have a tonne of aquarium plants in my attic for a jungle project that-never-was. Remind me and I'll sling them your way.

PS. I use Photobucket, too. This link is also invaluable!

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:47:47 AM »
Thats a very creative use of GW dryads!  I never would have thought of that. That's why I love LAF so much, so many great ideas that never would have crossed my mind.

Good job! 
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:19:26 AM »
Thank you! The Dryads are beautiful models and I fear I have done them little justice with this picture.

I haven't found anything really suitable for rules yet. I've bought Deepwars which will do for actually getting the figures on the table, but I'd still like to write my own. Knowing my project management capabilities, it'll be June before anything gets sorted in that regard!

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »
If you're so inclined you can check out my Brink of Battle rules.  We're releasing a fantasy supplement next year and I think you'll get the type of results you're looking for.

www.brinkofbattle.com

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:42:32 AM »
There are a lot of rule systems out there that have general categories or point build systems that might fit your miniatures. The big question is what kind of game do you want.

Songs of blades and heroes would fit a small skirmish game. Deep wars might actually be written in this engine, iirc.

Then there is savage worlds show down, which is free and also has a unit builder. Its more focused on small groups lead by spectacular individuals.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
Great to see underwater fantasy themed figures, more detailed pictures of how you made the dryads watery might be helpful.

It is strange that there seems to be a lack of rules covering underwater fantasy battles and while there are a number of sea type creature figures available from various manufacturers they are often seemingly portrayed as having come to the surface. I have likewise had the idea to thus create some underwater rules and or underwater house rules for existing systems but this has taken a back burner to other projects. Certainly I think GW Seekers and Slaanesh would make good conversions as merfolk (just add fishy tails) and mean looking seahorses.

One crazy idea would be to have a wargame table with a sheet of glass above the table on which one can have ships battling it out while under the glass is the underwater battle.  Please do keep us posted therefore on your rules. One important consideration would need to be depth and thus might play out similar to aerial combat with altitude. Also vision, so line of sight would be short, but then powers such as sonar can come into play. Said rules would certainly need to be skirmish based with loose formations and generic enough to convert stats for any mini. The possibilities for terrain are fantastic.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »
Great work!  I am getting into DeepWars myself, and I could see this fitting in nicely.

DeepWars is indeed based on the SoBaH ruleset, just with some more stuff added.  I would place DeepWars more as steampunk than pure fantasy due to some of the technology but I like some of what they have done for the underwater rules.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 07:05:33 PM »
Great work!  I am getting into DeepWars myself, and I could see this fitting in nicely.

DeepWars is indeed based on the SoBaH ruleset, just with some more stuff added.  I would place DeepWars more as steampunk than pure fantasy due to some of the technology but I like some of what they have done for the underwater rules.

Could you give me a impression of what they have done to simulate the whole underwater aspect? SoBaH is always a very easy system to hack into a different genre, but I really cant think how best to represent underwater combat so I am very curious.

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 01:50:42 PM »
Very nice work. I'm very impressed with the creative use of GW's dryads.  :)

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »
Could you give me a impression of what they have done to simulate the whole underwater aspect? SoBaH is always a very easy system to hack into a different genre, but I really cant think how best to represent underwater combat so I am very curious.

Well, I have only played one game, and am still grasping the rules, but off the top of my head:

- They introduced depth levels.  You can spend activation to move up and down in the water column.  If you try and move between levels too quickly, you have to take a resistance test to avoid possibly dying from barotrauma

- Visibility can be reduced depending on the type of water.  Some models carry lamps to help them see farther, others have echolocation, etc.

- models can only see in their front 180' due to the difficulty of seeing through a dive suit

- some bigger models are slow and cumbersome to turn if they are attacked from the rear

- some models are amphibious, some are not

Those are the main things I can think of.  Not too complicated, but adds some nice flavour to the game.