Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:06:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battletech (N-scale) - large minis for a larger project  (Read 21051 times)

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
    • Small Scale Operations Blog, my wargaming blog
Re: Battletech (N-scale) - large minis for a larger project
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 06:36:14 PM »
Since my internet and phone line broke down last Friday evening I had a little time (read: no distraction) and spent it on the painting table, cleaning and priming 10 more 40k Space Marines and paint up the Mech shown below. Ok, the Mech really only has gotten a quick paintjob without too many details being available on the miniature to begin with - but I kind of like it anyways. Maybe because I am an Archer fan?!

Thank god f#+!ing Telekom fixed my phone line so I am back and connected to all of you! I missed the forums.   8)

House Kurita's ARC-2K Archer - another repainted action figure

Minor reposing to resemble the look of the CBT scale plastic Archer.

Two LRM-15 launchers in the torso and two Large Lasers mounted in its arms.

Sashimono Samurai back banner and cherry blossom on the lids for the missile bays.

The action figure lacks a lot of the detail that plastic kit has, but at least its closer in scale with my other heavy Mechs.

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »
looks awesome,as for the Lack of Details: my 1/72 Spartan Kit has fake Missile Pods too (although they're showed open on the Cover Artwork  >:D)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 12:06:24 AM »
Remember these were absolutely dirt cheap kits in Japan, in 1982...you can't expect too much.  I mean some of these were sold in vending machines... lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 04:29:10 AM »
Really nice. I love your painting on these mini's.
You mentioned using a hex map, is that necessary? Could you play without the hexes?
I haven't really played Battletech but have a couple old Fasa mechs and the rules and funny they are on display with my micro armour which is 1/285. I never thought of N scale for Battletech as it seemed to big to me. The Japanese N scale is 1/150? Is that smaller than N scale model railroading here in USA?

Anyways you have some great things happening here, I would love to play.
No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 05:19:16 AM »
Battletech has always been pretty suitable to larger scales actually (far moreso than say, Robotech).  The mechs are generally quite slow, and the weapons are rarely mentioned shooting super far (even in the novels).  So the idea of a game this scale actually works.  Even better if you're going more Battleforce style - a handful of mechs and infantry/armor (the most ignored elements of the Battletech universe).

If you judge the universe by the PC games also, you'd be at home engaging other mechs within 200-600 yards.  I think it's a nice adaptation.  The scale would also be fantastic for Solaris games - perfectly scaled actually.  That would be pretty cool, seeing a big Solaris mechadome or something.  :D  I always forget how much I really loved the Battletech universe (although I never enjoyed the game as it was produced).

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »
I posted a small game report with my recon class Mechs over on my BLOG for those interested. Here is a random pic...

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »
I've been waiting with baited breath for this! 

:o  ;D  ;D  ;D  o_o    :D

When will the next one be up?  ;)
"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »
I've been waiting with baited breath for this! 

:o  ;D  ;D  ;D  o_o    :D

When will the next one be up?  ;)

When my mediums are painted. We will increase the games by tonnage and vehicles/BA step by step. Finally, there will be a Clan invasion some time later this year.  8)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2013, 02:14:59 AM »
Why do I get the feeling the Mongoose pilot is saying "AWWW COME ON GUYS!? Really!?"  lol

Always loved the Mongoose, one of the few FASA designs I really took to.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 09:38:32 PM »
So, its done. Only one thing remains to do: decals for FRR and the 1st Tyr unit markings. Both are ordered but will take their time until they arrive at mine. I will post an updated picture once they are applied.

Free Rasalhague Republic's 1st TYR Rifleman 3N.

I love how the "glowing barrels" have turned out - I think I need to repeat that with some other Mechs!

The Rifleman's weak side with basicly non-existant amor *g

So, its done. I hope my best mate likes how it turned out. After all its going to be HIS Mech :-)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2013, 11:53:44 PM »
VERY nice - the colours choice and execution have tied the model together nicely.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »
I've been following your thread with a lot of interest, as I've been toying with this idea for years. The (for me and my collection) new scale has kept me back so far though.

One of the first miniature wargames I ever played (if not THE first), was Classic BatleTech (before it was even called Classic ;) ). I had the Battletech Compendium, a Revell Warhammer/Excalibur/Tomahawk model and some plastic soldiers. So me and a school buddy played a CityTech scenario on a map drawn on a large sheet of paper (A2 size).

He played the infantry and got completey annihilated. I especially enjoyed the moment I walked my Mech through a low building to get to some soldiers hiding in there. :D

Of course the roles were reversed next and I got my forces reduced to pink mist as well, but it was great, great fun. :)

So your idea of using larger scale mechs appeals to me a lot.

You mention using kits of different scales, and also Gashapon mechs. But to my eye, only going by Ebay and other internet pictures, those Gashapon are pretty small. Since you're working in N-scale, most Mechs should size up to approximately 7 centimeters, if we go with an average height of 10 or so meters. So do they match up?

I was thinking of going 15mm / 1/100 myself, making everything even larger, because, well, with Mechs, larger is always better. (My life's ambition would of course be fully functional Mechs in 1/1 scale ;) ). But I suppose in this scale, the Gashapons are out of the question.

Also, there's quite a discrepancy in scale, even within ranges of the same manufacturer. I've got a Quadluun Rau in 1/144, which I've converted to contain a 28mm sized cockpit, and it's still huge! Imagine its comparative size when matched with other 1/144 scaled stuff ::) (Ok; I know Zentraedi are supposed to be 10 meters tall themselves, but come on...)

So I think cherrypicking Mechs to match their BattleTech sizes might be best, from a range of scales like 1/200, 1/144, 1/100 and maybe even 1/76. But finding the actual sizes of the kits online is right chore at times. You'd say at least height would be stated, but only the box sizes are usually given (plus the fictional height of the Mech). So it's pretty hard to gauge the size of the kit you're looking at.

The fact they're usually photographed against a blank background does not help either.  :?

But for now, I'll round off my ramblings with a list of questions that popped up reading your thread:

- How do you do the size matching thing? Or do you simply end up with a lot of off-sized Mechs?

- Where's the Locust from? Not-anthropomorphic Mechs are not the easiest to find (exception is the Marauder/Glaug of course ;) ).

- How do the original metal Battletech infantry scale? Are they acceptable as 15mm, or are they smaller?

- How do the Clix infantry and vehicles scale? are they simply scaled to match their bases, or is there a standardisation? And what scale would that be? (This in regard to Elementals...)

- Have you considered playing without a hex-grid? It's about the only aspect of the game I'm not too fond of; the grid detracts from the overall terrain look IMHO...

And finally; please keep going; your project is very inspirational! 8)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:24:35 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2013, 05:52:25 PM »
But for now, I'll round off my ramblings with a list of questions that popped up reading your thread:

- How do you do the size matching thing? Or do you simply end up with a lot of off-sized Mechs?

A long time of try and error. I pick whatever comes closest to what I (personally) imagine the Mechs to look like. Do I have a Banshee that isn't as tall as my Warhammer although it is much heavier? Yes, I do. Does it matter? No. Not to me.

But of course I try to find scales that doesn't make them look too much off. Right now its a mix of 1/144, 1/200, 1/170 and roughly 3" tall action figures. Works for me.

- Where's the Locust from? Not-anthropomorphic Mechs are not the easiest to find (exception is the Marauder/Glaug of course ;) ).

It was built from scratch and casted in resin for more copies. AFAIK its no longer sold. When they were still around the web I bought four of them.

- How do the original metal Battletech infantry scale? Are they acceptable as 15mm, or are they smaller?

Do you mean Battletech or Mechwarrior clicky tech? The pewter are too small. The clicky tech ones individually based come close enough in size to fit the cockpits of the Mechs in my scale. NO, they aren't acceptable in 15mm. Clicky tech men without base are only 10mm tall.

- How do the Clix infantry and vehicles scale? are they simply scaled to match their bases, or is there a standardisation? And what scale would that be? (This in regard to Elementals...)

No scale whatsoever. Its gaming figures, they don't have a scale and it seems like they are made in totally different sizes to begin with. The infantry looks ok next to my Mechs, the vehicles are too small. They are looking especially out of scale when you place soldiers next to them. But I don't care - its about the look of the vehicles matching my Technical Readout's drawings, not about the size. In addition to that I put my vehicles onto bases, to increase the height.

- Have you considered playing without a hex-grid? It's about the only aspect of the game I'm not too fond of; the grid detracts from the overall terrain look IMHO...
And finally; please keep going; your project is very inspirational! 8)

I have played without hexgrid. I have the old Miniature-Rules and I also own the new Alphastrike Rules. I don't care about the hexfields. They are alright if there is 3D terrain on top. I just never liked the plain battle-maps where trees or so are just printed on top.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2013, 10:58:45 PM »
So, I spent some hours painting this Saturday:

SCP-1N Scorpion for my 1st Sword of Light.

Anderson Armaments PPC and Marvel Six-Load SRM launcher.

Some people hate Quad-Mechs - I have yet to field one to find out why. :-)

..and some random shots of the Kurita Whammy: