Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:16:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post Apocalyptic 1800's  (Read 3066 times)

Offline FalloutLeader

• Assistant
  • Law Enforcement
    • http://thefalloutleader.blogspot.com/
Post Apocalyptic 1800's
« on: January 02, 2013, 03:28:19 AM »
Allright I come up with an idea of having an apocalyptic type game set in the late 1800's with it starting off in the War Between the States lasting longer with the British trying to break the blockade entering with the Franco-Prussian war and Russia and Germany coming in on the U.S. side an Japanese striking at the Russians.Where I'm left at is where the apocalyptic version comes in either natural disasters or meteors striking.Because I need the radiation zones somewhere,cause I need troopers in radiation zones with gas masks so maybe thinking steampunk technology with airships and such,any ideas
Get there first with the most men,
                    Nathan Bedford Forrest

Offline FalloutLeader

• Assistant
  • Law Enforcement
Re: Post Apocalyptic 1800's
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:32:15 AM »
Because I need ghouls somewhere in here

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:16:17 AM »
Brigade Games do Brits and Prussians at the moment, with more to follow.

'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:27:24 AM »
Have you checked out the book. Pashawar lancers?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 10:07:59 AM »
... or any of the books by Cherie Priest? They are set during an alternate and somewhat long steampunk ACW, which is actually the back story, rather than the main event. It's zombies rather than ghouls, but the 'contaminated zone' is due to a natural and persistent 'blight gas' released by tunneling.

Other than there being no radiation, it's almost exactly what you are describing...

:)

Offline FalloutLeader

• Assistant
  • Law Enforcement
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 09:26:56 PM »
Yeah it's hard finding an idea for like radiation when you don't have the bombs even though I know deadlands did it with monsters I don't want that but maybe some greasy that crashed at some point and I'm not a zombie fan but like the fallout ghoul idea but thought it might be neat in an ruined city more than what it was during the war an a fallout based twilight 2000 theme

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 02:07:02 AM »
Well in "The Peshawar Lancers", most of the plants northern hemisphere was struck by meteor showers. This caused a the north to become to cold to sustain crops. So mass starvation and most of the societies to degenerate into cannibalistic bands of savages.
The book takes place about  100 years after the great fall, but nothing says you cant steal the idea of massive meteor showers devastating lots of the industrially world. Turning once fertile places into devastated wastelands of dust and ash. You can even say that the meteors were the transporters of lots of the Radiation, sowing more ruination upon the land around the impact zones.
In order to move across the ruined land with any semblance of safety, the nations. Started to use hot air balloons, blimps, Zeplans and other airships help avoid the most effected zones.

Offline FalloutLeader

• Assistant
  • Law Enforcement
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »
Dang son you want to write it for me,that's about the idea I kinda had in mind you get this picture in your head of what the armies and people would look like without going to modern.But that sounds good that would push some into some kind of underground vaults but don't want to fast forward like fallout 3 a hundred years cause I still want the war to go on but do want mutants and ghouls in different army outfits,now if I only had the funds for a sculptor.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »
I'm still thinking this is sort of what you're looking for, just swap out zombies for ghouls, there isn't much difference in these books actually.

I'll stop banging on about them now.  ;)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 11:51:08 PM »
I'm normally into fantasy stuff but your thread title caught my eye and reminded me of this -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Victoria's_Bomb

I remember seeing it in one of my Mum's bookshelves somewhere (retired English Lit teacher!) when I was over visiting a while back and thought it looked like an interesting read. Wish I'd borrowed it as I can't find it for love nor money now - she has a lot of bookcases!

Offline FalloutLeader

• Assistant
  • Law Enforcement
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 12:30:37 AM »
That's interesting have to get that find out how they invented.

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 04:22:46 AM »
I've spent the last twelve months collecting. designing and building for a very similar thing.

I call it the Duruga Project and it's based on a fictitious New South Wales coastal town called...Duruga.

Nine scenarios based around the same town and how it rebuilds and adapts after two meteorites strike the Northern Hemisphere in 1900 causing massive global winter and wiping out most of Western Europe and the Eastern seaboard of the US. Population levels have plummeted, there's the possible beginning of a new Ice Age and the possibility that the impacts weren't a coincidence. The Gulf Stream has been disrupted.

It starts several years after the impacts in twenty year episodes.   

You don't need mutants and other stuff. Humans are horrible enough in a world that doesn't care if they live or die.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline al will

• Schoolboy
  • Nil illegitimi carborundum.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 06:02:40 PM »
Have you thought about a mega solar storm. While still a theory, solar storms causes space quakes and can cause Earth’s magnetosphere to shake and consequently the planet. Sunspots contain very dense magnetic fields and it is theoretically hypothesized that entanglements can occur with Earth’s magnetic field. High seismic activity also seems to coincide with seismic activity and weather events on planet Earth. For instance, the 1859 Carrington super flare solar event was followed by the 1862 flooding event in California, the worst such disaster in the state’s history. It bankrupted California. A solar storm could explain large area of radiation ridden land and ghouls.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 06:28:29 PM »
In the Priest novels there is a gas released from digging up certain yellow rocks found in the earth. It turns people into zombies.

Offline FalloutLeader

• Assistant
  • Law Enforcement
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 04:49:21 AM »
I like it I see many ideas with this kinda got the idea well cause of being a big history nut and the fact in Fallout 3 when your in the DC area and the trenchworks around the Capitol I imagined that well what if the CS during this time made a move against Washington and still fighting in the trenchworks downtown.