Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:51:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Generic Middle East Village in 20mm (24-10-2015 Gift for a friend)  (Read 17504 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Re: 2013 Project - Afghanistan
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »
There are no more solid materials available locally, and I sure ain't buying stuff online for it when on a 0 euro budget.

There is a lot of flex in the material when in its sheet form, but once it has been cut, glued, based and given a few coats of Gesso (which is not a filler like material but stays flexible even after it dries, it is used as a good primer for bendy plastic figures in the 20mm scene) a few coats of acrylic paint will stay on with no problem, I'm pretty sure of that.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
Brummie: the Dutch models are S&S and converted Wartime models

Far from humble this time, rather large and posh even compared to the previous models. Length wise it is the max my cabinets will take (28 cm's) so if I start making compounds, they won't be wider then these unless I split them down the middle so they can be used at the edges of a board as well. Well, maybe...

A rather large 2 story building with lots of windows except on the side where I envisage the neighbours to be, with a wall, later expanded into a covered hallway, ending at the, what could be seen as, carpark.

The front of the building has the fancier wooden doors, and I'd love to make one of those iron doors with all of the metalwork I've seen in several documentaries now, but I'll leave that to it when I get to do a compound door (after a bit of practice). The top floor is just a piece of cloth, being blown in the wind so it moves a bit to the side, and the doors in the rear are either open (painted black) or a simple metal door. Windows are without framework this time, for the size of the building I assumed the owner could afford that.

Open courtyard, I'm not in the mood yet to have it all walled in, mostly cause I fear I won't be able to have proper acces to it to paint it all. Plus the open end makes for cramped alleyways when I slot it all together.

You can propably make out the lines on the building, thats done with a ruler and a toothpick. 1 coat of Gesso doens't fill it in, so I now have a way to make bits of brickwork visible in future models. For this one I won't do much to it, maybe some extra weathering to show there was a new addition made on top of the first floor. In a future one I will be adding square blocks with wire sticking out to represent a future expansion as you see all over the middle east.

Right, I've got a small village now.

An added benefit of the building material is the weight. Since it is so light, you can easily stack em, thus making better use of the room available for storage. Also very handy for transport, just line a box with some protective wadding and you can haul it everywhere without risk.

Cause everything is based on square shapes stacking is also very easy for these models.

But, adding concrete columns to the top with bits sticking out ruins this a bit. Solution? Simple, like every addition I make for the junkyard, they are all seperate bits you can just put on and off at your leasure. Bonus is that if anyone bumps into them they will just topple over and not break off.

Now, who makes a decent 1/72 wheelbarrow? :)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »
Quite impressive! I love your work and will keep an eye on it, as I would most probably end up doing myself some Afghanistan this year too ;)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »
Good looking stuff. The whole work-in-progress is handy too, it's such a good way to get folk to build their own.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »
High tower that will double as a tower (surprise!), a rural minaret (they are not all round, you know) or as a handy JDAM reference point. A good 17 cm's tall with a ornate large door a 28mm fig could fit through, with a smaller door for a 15mm/20mm, for a truly multifunctional tower.

Other then the ornate door it is a simple thing, no windows. Thinking about making a seperate tile to put on top that has speakers on all 4 sides. Also damaged it a bit, both intentional and unintentional. Tip for next time, keep your eye on the sanding stick.

That's all for the past 2 weeks, work has been very busy.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 12:54:03 AM »
promising, and quite huge. :)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 10:56:34 PM »
My biggest building to date, when cutting the board I was going to build an even bigger house, but after slaping myself with a ruler I reminded myself that a bigger house just won't fit my cabinets. And with bigger I actually mean wider, my cabinets are 28 cm's deep so that is the max.

So far, it has given me the following ideas:

- A Gouvernors or Mayors house

- A hotel

- A police or militia station

- A radio station

- A political parties office

...and if I think really hard (or have a beer) I'd propably come up with a dozen more. Lots of windows in this one, it really pays off to keep refreshing those blades. Lots of doors too, now with knobs....the tops of pins snipped off and stuck on. And a small rock line from kitty litter (unused).

The bit on top is actually part of my 6mm Van Der Valk hotel sign I just grabbed from the spares box, just to see if it fits. And it does.

Somewhere this week I wil have to find the time to sand the edges of the base and the building and give it a few coats of Gesso.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
Oh man! So nice! :o It's coming along in the most beautiful way :).

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 10:01:29 AM »
Really good looking buildings. And those intentional and unintentional damages to tower make it even better imho.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »
Really fine work... thought of building a mosque?

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 12:26:45 PM »
Oh, I do like these! :-*

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2015, 09:04:42 PM »
And then my wife got pregnant, the twins were born and we are now 2 years into the future!  lol

I was never happy with the coating I gave them, not enough depth, so I purchased a tub of filler and went to town. I tried to smooth it out with a wet finger but realised the stuff dried so quickly in thin coats, it was a waste of time. I will just sand down the rough bits when it is fully dried....in about 30 minutes or so :)

useless picture, but still. Buidling 6 stays the way it was, cause that will be concrete.

Now to get sanding.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2015, 07:04:46 AM »
Congrats on the twins first! And second, nice to see this thread re-animated :D

Did you try to put on the filler with some kind of spatula or a piece of a plasticard?

Are you aiming to have a smooth finish or rougher finish with the sanding?

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2015, 08:12:02 AM »
Thank you  :D

I applied it with the first thing I found, a lollypop stick, but a piece of plasticcard would have worked just as well I think. The stuff is gloopy but spreads out nicely with it, and I pulled it up, down, left, right, any which way to create structure. I then sanded the exposed tips and any thick bits with 60 grain sandpaper. The finish is rougher then it would be in reality in this scale but works for me, and gives a nice tough coat to the model. The stuff doesn't snap off, I've noticed it has a little bit of flex in it, which is even better.

For surface detail see these. My first 2 attempts are a big rough, but I get better at it as I tackled the rest.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2015, 11:17:56 AM »
Yes, I think you have nailed it, looks very convincing to me  8)