Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:09:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689622
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Return of Prometheus Game Overview  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Mad-eddy13

• Assistant
Return of Prometheus Game Overview
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:22:44 AM »
I have an overview of a game concept I've been working on, any thoughts/ideas on what I have and what I should include?

The Titan Prometheus made three races of man.
First came the men of clay... They were weak and perished.
Next came the men of Bronze... They were stronger, yet in time they too perished.
Last came the men of iron... They survived to this day.

Now the next generation of man is being created.

In the massive utopia of the Alliance eugenics, genetic engineering and medical science have created a new kind of army.

To the south the despotic Coalition leads a massive attack with experimental powered armor and chemical weapons.

I am planning to make a table top war-game, in 28mm scale, I currently have four factions on the table, two national armies and two mercenary forces.

The list of armies and main units:
The Alliance:
Troopers, unarmored, but equipped with high powered rifles, poor defense, good long range attack, decent in close quarters.

Zombies, mind washed, steroid enhanced troopers, better defense than standard troopers, powerful close quarter attacks, heavy weapons.

The Coalition:
XM Group, powered armor equipped soldiers with very heavy weapons, a excellent defense and lots of modification options.

Loaders, ammo carriers for XM Group, mediocre defense, good medium range attack, gives extra attacks to XM Group.

Phoenix Nanotech, Merc Division:
Stealth Suit, enemy units must role a "discovery" die before attacking Stealth Suits, very weak defense, attack depends on weapons.

Tesla Rifle, a high powered weapon that fires lighting bolts with mixed results, however it can jump between units and cause an EMP.

Black Caps: (they wear black ball caps as a means of identification)
Jihadists, fast, weak and cheap infantry with several special attacks (suicide bomb, Molotov cocktail... etc...)

Genocide Team, a cheap way to flesh out an army. 

So far I am just figuring out armies and basic rules, would love feed back/suggestions.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Return of Prometheus Game Overview
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:48:50 AM »
Hmmm...

You didn't really give us a lot to go on as far as feedback.  Who are the men of iron?  What does the clay/bronze/iron have to do with?  Who is the Alliance and why do they exist?  This seems to be taking place on Earth - no?  If not, skip things like Jihadists and baseball caps and other blatantly Earth-reminiscent stuff.  I feel the same way when sci-fi universes magically have Samurai but no link to our Earth was we know it.  It ruins the "sci fi" for me.

Why are the two main factions at war?  What's the source of conflict?  You say it's 2045 which is incredibly near future to me.  That means you can even use vehicles/aircraft from today (F22's and F35's and most new current vehicles will be expected to have a 20-30 year service life).

Return of Prometheus - what and who are Prometheus?  Gods?  In essence would this be an entirely different alternate history to Earth?  Give us some meat and potatoes.  Your thread just gave me a hundred questions.   :-X :D
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Scorpio

• Scientist
  • justice wears a mask
    • Metal Skirmish
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »
Yeah, need a little more to go on to formulate good questions. I will note the Black Caps seem a little... stereotypical.
PMMDJ
http://metal-skirmish.blogspot.com/

"Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved."

Offline Mad-eddy13

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 06:57:41 PM »
Hmmm...

You didn't really give us a lot to go on as far as feedback.  Who are the men of iron?  What does the clay/bronze/iron have to do with?  Who is the Alliance and why do they exist?  This seems to be taking place on Earth - no?  If not, skip things like Jihadists and baseball caps and other blatantly Earth-reminiscent stuff.  I feel the same way when sci-fi universes magically have Samurai but no link to our Earth was we know it.  It ruins the "sci fi" for me.

Why are the two main factions at war?  What's the source of conflict?  You say it's 2045 which is incredibly near future to me.  That means you can even use vehicles/aircraft from today (F22's and F35's and most new current vehicles will be expected to have a 20-30 year service life).

Return of Prometheus - what and who are Prometheus?  Gods?  In essence would this be an entirely different alternate history to Earth?  Give us some meat and potatoes.  Your thread just gave me a hundred questions.   :-X :D

The little opening bit is from Ancient Greek mythology, Prometheus joined Zeus and helped defeat the other titans. After Zeus defeated the titans Prometheus began to make human beings from various materials. Supposedly the last race of man he made was made of iron, the ancestors of all humans. After a time Prometheus looked into the well being of man and found that they were cold and hungry, so he went to Olympias and stole an ember from the hearth of the gods and gave it to man.

Soon after giving fire to man Prometheus taught the young race to burn offerings in order to appease the gods, however he soon overstepped Zeus's patience. Prometheus taught man how to cheat the gods of their offerings, so Zeus chained Prometheus to a mountain top and sent an eagle to rip out Prometheus's liver, every day, for all of eternity.

That's the story behind the name, I'm a fan of conceptual sci fi and mythology and was having a time finding a name and the story worked. Return of Prometheus refers to the sudden advancement of mankind that is occurring in the stories timeline.  

The story of the game is very loose, but the Alliance hit first, but now the conflict has dissolved into a stalemate, with both sides hiring mercenaries and deploying new equipment. I really like the idea of having a near future conflict with some advances but most of the gear is modern.

The title refers to the further improvement of humans, the "men of iron" is a term for modern man, taken from Greek mythology. There are no gods in the actual game, but mythology has a lot to do with inspiration for story.

The world is loosely based on earth but its still very open at this stage, the Alliance is based off soviet Russia and the fictional city in the Appleseed series.

The Coalition is basically a sci fi NATO, mixed with pre-Aparthide South Africa.

Phoenix Nanotech is a industrial company that supplies trained soldiers with its weapons and is largely original, I can't remember were the idea came from.

The Black Caps are you typical African PMCs, real original, I know.

I hope this clears some of the questions up, I do want to leave some unexplained aspects though.