Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:39:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone playing WarGods (Aegyptus or otherwise)?  (Read 3207 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Anyone playing WarGods (Aegyptus or otherwise)?
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:40:36 PM »
Just before Christmas I picked up a rule book and decent sized Sebeki army. I'm been reading through the rule book and combing over the Crocodile Games website trying to decide which army (or two) to add to my collection. I may try making stats for my lizard dudes and then proxy in some Eaters of the Dead or something just to try things out in the interim, but I'd be interested to hear what other people think about the game and various armies, or just thoughts on the figures themselves.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Re: Anyone playing WarGods (Aegyptus or otherwise)?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 12:28:15 AM »
I like the figures (I've got some Asar and some Basti lying around), but I don't know how widespread the game is in terms of finding opponents. Rules-wise, it looks a lot like a cleaned up version of 4th edition Warhammer Fantasy Battle/WAB to me.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline angstpuppet

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:27:40 AM »
It is a good game that suffers from a lack of following.  I love the miniatures, the setting, the rules, and the game play.  That said I have had to basically convince people to even look at it.  Of course in my area most mini gaming with Warmachine and 40k based so things without a huge following don''t tend to get going without a strong push from someone that is local and prominent in the gaming community. 

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 05:54:22 AM »
Generally speaking if I bring in a game to my club I can get people to play a few games of it. It's unlikely that most of them would collect and paint, which is why I'm looking for a second army. I like the hobby part enough that I don't mind doing two army project and some terrain. Besides, most of those figure and terrain could be used for some fun EotD or Strange Aeons gaming too.

It's difficult to choose another army though.

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »
If I had the time ( and more importantly money ) I'd definately be owning and gaming with some of the Aegyptus figures. But I wouldn't worry about the game itself. Just use the figures with other rules if it comes to it.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 05:02:08 PM »
I just finished painting a lovely squad of Wargod Satyrs and think that the minis are amazing, for the most part. I just don't have  any desire to play the game.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »
I actually think the rules and setting are quite intriguing, so I'd like to at least give them a shot. I've received a few suggestions over on the Crocodile forums that have me revising some of my ideas for another army. Since I already have a squad of Archers, I could essentially buy the Asar starter box and be even up with the Sebeki. If I picked up another starter and one squad for that race, I could then mix and match things around for some nice variety.

Sadly upon further investigation, the Anubi don't seem to have a starter set. So I'm leaning toward one of the two Basti starter boxes.

Offline ducat

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 06:21:33 PM »
All the factions are pretty balanced against one another. Sebeki can be one of the hardest faction to face though if you are not careful keep your list more fluffy over power gamer.

I personally find the rule set is really good. The way the counters work is a very fun and tactical all on its own. It is one of my favourite systems. Underplayed but great if you can find a semi regular opponent.

Without knowing what sort of points size you are playing/have in Sebeki, I would perhaps suggest looking at the Typhon as an opposing force. The starter set for these is actually quite a good one too. add some Khemru slingers and a Packmaster with some animals (an elephant is cool and maybe helps balance against the Beloved that is a staple of the Sebeki force and you should have a good start point.

Offline Dr. Kevin Moon III esq.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 10:37:50 PM »
I'm currently putting the finishing touches to an Eater warband to match up against my Bast one in the hope of press-ganging someone from my club into a game (sounds like I'm in the same boat as you!).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:46:02 PM by Dr. Kevin Moon III esq. »

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:05:44 AM »
Last month, I placed a $ 215 order with Crocodile, but Belgian customs decided they wanted their slice too: 49 Euro, so that is - all in all - a bit steep.  Is there a (good) UK distributor around (one that holds proper stock)?

Thanks,

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline ducat

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 09:24:39 PM »
Black Pyramid hold Wargods stock in the UK -

http://www.blackpyramid.co.uk/

A very nice bunch of chaps. 

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »
I love the figures and pick them up wherever I can find them for a good price, usually at flea markets and Bring & Buys.  I particularly like the Anubi but have bits & pieces from a number of the factions.  I've never played the rules, just like the figures and the fluff.

My best buy recently was a regt of the Nekharu armed with man-cleavers (the Vulture dudes) for $3 unpainted and still in the plastic box.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:18:37 PM by Sterling Moose »
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 09:59:33 PM »
Last month, I placed a $ 215 order with Crocodile, but Belgian customs decided they wanted their slice too: 49 Euro, so that is - all in all - a bit steep.  Is there a (good) UK distributor around (one that holds proper stock)?

Thanks,

Rudi

Dave Thomas used to stock them and sold a lot off cheaply - he may still have some pieces.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 11:21:53 PM »
It seems I'm in the same boat as a lot of you. I like the miniatures and the game but, as far as I know, I'm the only player in the Netherlands so no opponent available. I have been to the Canterbury tournament 4 times so in all I have played 12 games, unfortunately the tournament has seen its last edition in 2011.
I'm still building my Khemru warband along with some Asar archers.

Asar heroes:

I have enough miniatures for 4 warbands; after the Khemru I am going to paint some Typhon.

DJ
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:29:04 PM by Drunkendwarf »

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 07:06:29 AM »
A shame none of us seem to live in the same place!