Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:46:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 711
Total: 716

Recent

Author Topic: Raid on the Confederate River Port  (Read 2872 times)

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
Raid on the Confederate River Port
« on: November 26, 2012, 07:42:27 AM »
I am posting some photos from a recent game I offered to the group of fellows that I game with.  (Sorry, the photos did not get there.  I will work on getting them there  tomorrow.)

The scenario includes a Union (UN) attack on a Confederate (CSA) river town port, where a tin clad steamer, the Intrepid, and a large, river steamer, the Allegheny, are docked unloading vital arms and supplies for the nearby CSA army.  

The river runs north and south.  The Union is mounting an attack on the port from the western land side and from another steamer, the Edwin Stokes, which may arrive at some point (random) during the game on the river.  The CSA players are unaware of the steamer approach, until smoke on the river is reported.  CSA cavalry may also arrive at some (random/judge selected) turn in the game.

The first photo shows one of the UN players attacking east towards the landward side of the river town.   Most of the town can be seen, but there are several feet of playing area to the right of the photo with six to eight more buildings, not visible.  Also not visible beyond the player to the left is a CSA prison full of (revolting) slaves, another UN objective to liberate.  UN cavalry is attacking the prison camp outside of the photos.

The second photo is of the general town area, looking north through the town, showing the encampment of the CSA troops north of  town, and part of the (muddy) river in the distance.  In town one can see the CSA forces responding to the approaching UN attack from the west.  The river is to the east or left side of the photo.

The third photo shows the CSA tin clad Intrepid crewmen returning to board the vessel and generate steam to leave port before the UN can capture the ship and supplies.  

The fourth photo from later in the game shows the UN troops crossing the top of the hill to the west of the river town and attacking the CSA troops defending the Allegheny.  The UN troops have overrun two CSA field pieces, killing the crews.
The fifth photos shows casualties on the deck of the Allegheny as the UN forces press home.

The sixth photo shows some Old Glory CSA troops moving west, defending in the light woods to the west side of the town church.

The ships and many of the buildings are my creations.  The setup panels, many of the trees are home made in my shop.  The troops, etc., are all from my collection.  The figures are mostly Dixon with some Redoubt sailors, some Old Glory units and a few other brands represented.

The Intrepid escaped, the slaves were eventually freed and the Allegheny and most of the supplies and arms in town were captured.  The CSA suffered heavy losses and evacuated the town.  The UN steamer Edwin Stokes, was hit by shellfire down river and never arrived.  The CSA cavalry was engaged elsewhere and also did not make it to this battle.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:45:19 AM by ffrum »

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Re: Raid on the Confederate River Port
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 07:15:10 AM »
Unfortunately the pictures aren't opening at my end Curt, which is really frustrating as I know how great your scenic work is  :'(

Is there any way you can re-submit them?

Cheers,
Lance

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:24:46 AM »
No, I couldn't get them either...  :'(
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 02:07:14 PM »
Gentlemen - I am very sorry about the problems I am having getting the photos to the LAF.  They were taken with a D200 and the file size is very large (>1MB), even when I try to convert them to a different format using Corel Photopaint. 

Over the years I have taken many photos of my games but I am challenged to put them on this site by the size of the files.  When I took the photos, high resolution for printing and viewing them was my concern, so the camera was set to "Fine" detail.  The resulting picture files are simply too large for submission to this site in their native format.

Options or advice?
1. Print and scan the photos and use those file to display?
2. An electronic solution to reduce the resolution of the photo file?
3. Any others?

I will welcome any suggestions to help me display these photos for your review.  I really value suggestions you all can provide for different methods, etc., to make additional improvements to my games.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
I use imageshack uploaded which gives you the option to resize the images for forums. Another option would be to get a blog which will host the images for you.

Offline Mr Pommeroy

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 02:46:28 PM »
Alternatively "re-size" the pictures in Corel Photopaint; Select "image size" and enter a resolution of 72 dpi and an image width of about 1500 pixels. After that save the image as .jpg, voila.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:06:40 AM »
Sounds like a great scenario and I look forward to seeing the photos.

Cheers,
Barry
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 11:44:46 PM »
At long last here are the photographs from the raid on the Confederate river port.  Please forgive my delay in "sizing" them to fit on this site.

The first photo shows one of the UN players attacking East towards the landward side of the river town.   Most of the town can be seen, but there are several feet of table playing area to the right of the photo with six to eight more buildings in the town, not visible in this photograph.  Also not visible beyond the player to the left is a CSA prison stockade full of (revolting) slaves, another UN objective to liberate.  UN cavalry is attacking the prison camp from the West, outside of the photos.(1)

The second photo is of the general town area, looking North through the town, showing the encampment of the CSA troops North of town, and part of the (muddy) river in the distance.  In town one can see the CSA forces responding to the approaching UN attack from the West.  The river is seen along the table edge to the East or right side of the photo. (3)

The third photo shows the CSA tin clad Intrepid crewmen returning to board the vessel and generate steam to leave port before the UN can capture the ship and supplies. (5)

The fourth photo shows some Old Glory CSA troops moving West, defending in the light woods on the West side of the town church. (10)

The fifth photo from later in the game shows the UN troops
crossing the top of the hill to the West of the river town and attacking the CSA troops defending the Allegheny.  The UN troops have overrun two CSA field pieces, killing the crews. (23)

The sixth photos shows casualties on the deck of the Allegheny as the UN forces press home. (24)

The ships and many of the buildings are my home built projects.  There are a few commercial building present.  The terrain panels and many of the trees are home made.  The troops, etc., are all from my collection.  The figures are mostly Dixon with some Redoubt sailors, some Old Glory units and a few other brands represented.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:08:05 AM by ffrum »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 02:14:03 AM »
The photos were worth the wait.
Well done. Love the pics.
Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer