Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:06:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bulette cub  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Bulette cub
« on: December 26, 2012, 12:15:58 AM »
I am using these as steeds and herd animals on my VSF Mars, but I have run into a small problem.  Anyone have any ideas for something to use as a cub for these?  I really don't want to have to sculpt anything - I am already doing that for my Bantha herds for the Deep Desert Martians, and I am not that good at it.  I would rather convert something existing...

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Re: Bulette cub
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »
I think Reaper do a smaller one. I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

Offline blambi

• Schoolboy
    • Blambi's little workshop (blog)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
Angel barracks got something similar but in 6mm scale. I guess they could be a bit on the small side but as young/new born cubs maybe?

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 11:29:13 PM »
The original plastic toy the bulette was based on was only about an inch long and sort of cute with an ant eater snout, but good luck finding one.

The old Ral Partha Bulette would be smaller, but the head is somewhat different.

I know you said no sculpting, but a green stuff head and a few spine plates on a cheap plastic rhino or dinosaur might be the best way to go. After all their can quite a bit of age dimorphism.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:54:45 PM »
How big is that one? I think I have some of the plastic toy ones kicking around some where.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 02:49:00 AM »
Angel barracks got something similar but in 6mm scale. I guess they could be a bit on the small side but as young/new born cubs maybe?

These kind of work!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 08:16:25 AM »
How big is that one? I think I have some of the plastic toy ones kicking around some where.

It is about 3" long or so.  I think I found an option for a half size cub, but those 6mm ones are a definite find.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 11:28:27 PM »
These kind of work!

More than 'kind of'!

Many young start way smaller than the parents; dino's, especially. That's what I think of when looking at these, no matter what D&D fluffed them.

Doug

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 08:04:49 AM »
I decided that as well, and ordered a few sets.  I also have some resin nests with eggs around here somewhere, and I still have the figs I was going to use for half sized ones, even though I will have to sculpt the tail and head.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 03:11:14 PM »
Are the smaller hedgehog-anteater-faced ones maybe females, and the larger armour-faced ones males (that go in for competitive face-smashing to impress mates - be honest, we've all done it)?

What are the 'half sized ones', do you have a pic (I really like this excursion into xenobiology, by the way, I've been looking at images of bulettes and wondering...)

EDIT: ach, verdammt 'Martian fauna and flora' thread... just realised you want big brood-mothers.

Given that the smallest lizardy things have face-plates and the middle-sized ones don't and the big ones do, I guess it's sculpting new faces (if you're indeed using the anteater-types), rethinking the biology (perhaps these are immature non-breeding females), or they're another related species - 'swamp bulettes' that live in the slightly muddier ground near the canals, perhaps (and therefore don't have to chew through so much rock as their larger desert-dwelling cousins)?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:22:57 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »
Are the smaller hedgehog-anteater-faced ones maybe females, and the larger armour-faced ones males (that go in for competitive face-smashing to impress mates - be honest, we've all done it)?

What are the 'half sized ones', do you have a pic (I really like this excursion into xenobiology, by the way, I've been looking at images of bulettes and wondering...)

EDIT: ach, verdammt 'Martian fauna and flora' thread... just realised you want big brood-mothers.

Given that the smallest lizardy things have face-plates and the middle-sized ones don't and the big ones do, I guess it's sculpting new faces (if you're indeed using the anteater-types), rethinking the biology (perhaps these are immature non-breeding females), or they're another related species - 'swamp bulettes' that live in the slightly muddier ground near the canals, perhaps (and therefore don't have to chew through so much rock as their larger desert-dwelling cousins)?

This is what I found for the medium sized (about an inch long) bodies...

So, yeah, I'll need to sculpt a head and tail.  It isn't ideal, but it will do.  All I have to do is sculpt one well, and cast it.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »
Hmm, the armour on the stomach and back legs is quite different... in that it's there on this one, but not the others.

I'd love to see what you make of these!