Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:24:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690899
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Penny Dreadful, TV GH!?  (Read 20974 times)

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
Re: Penny Dreadful, TV GH!?
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2014, 07:47:02 PM »
Ok, is it me, or every time that Billie Piper's character opens her mouth you just cringe at the awful, and I mean AWFUL attempt at an Irish accent? Why make her speak with an accent, or if she is that awful why not just get a real Irish actress? (ok, she has more of a namesake, but still).

Ok, rant over.  :)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2014, 07:23:53 AM »
To be fair it's not that bad, i'm Irish and I have heard other Irish people that sound like that, our accents often can sound like that, they run the gamut (when i've had a drink in me mine can sound pretty stereotypical/incomprehensible, a cliché I know), in Pipers case she's over egging it.

I like the show but I can't stand Dorian Grey or Eva Green for that matter.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2014, 12:54:12 AM »
No I have trouble listening and I like Billie. I like the Egyptian vampire tie in but the show is creeping along like a snail on the edge of a razor, painfully slow.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2014, 01:47:55 AM »
All in all, I enjoyed the first season. It wasn't absolutely brilliant, but it had its moments and its twists.

I think it succeeded in paying homage to the penny dreadful genre and has perhaps contributed some nice fodder for GH gaming.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2014, 02:46:58 AM »
Hoping for a strong second season. The first ended well enough I suppose but there were a lot of unanswered questions, hopefully that means they're writing for the long game.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline pinny

• Librarian
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2014, 02:50:07 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised with the ending, didn't see it coming at all

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2014, 08:33:45 AM »
Still need to watch the last two episodes. The thing that tempered our enthusiasm a bit was the fact that it seems to be all about setting moods and creating atmosphere while the story hardly moves at all. Of course, one might say this is faithful to the original victorian horror stories too.

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2014, 08:55:02 AM »
With SO many things left un-resolved, and as someone else pointed out, how slow the narrative is, you do wonder quite how many series the writer has planned! Could be 4 seasons + at this rate...
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
With SO many things left un-resolved, and as someone else pointed out, how slow the narrative is, you do wonder quite how many series the writer has planned! Could be 4 seasons + at this rate...

The whole series has felt like an introductory feature length episode, in that we have really only just got to know the characters. I have enjoyed it though.
"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2014, 07:02:23 AM »
Really enjoyed the show despite its sometimes glacial pace.

Without giving the ending away, in case someone has yet to see it, the last one minute made me think, "And now we have everybody aboard!"

Looking forward to next season.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2014, 05:31:36 PM »
I quite enjoy a nice big book if the story is well told and the setting is enjoyable.

So a TV show with slow pacing really is no problem as long as the production company actually has a story-arc and whoever controls the purse-strings gives the thing a fair chance to see the story told.

If it's well done, I don't mind waiting around until next year to see more of the story.

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »
I know I'm a bit late with this especially now the first seasons ended. But I really really need to build the tavern where Billy Pipper and the werewolf shacked up. I don't know why but the outside shot of the tavern even though it's CGI just screams build me.

Thought the bit we're the monster shacks up with Frankenstein was a little bit funny even though they want to kill each other.

P.S. The only bit that grabbed my attention from the online reviews was Psychosexual, can't remember what else it said or is it just me.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum. No wait I've just found another pack in my back pocket. Mmm tropical fruit bubblicious.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »
P.S. The only bit that grabbed my attention from the online reviews was Psychosexual, can't remember what else it said or is it just me.
You mean the new ad man term for there's a lot of shacking up?