Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:34:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sculpting Fur  (Read 3885 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Sculpting Fur
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »
Hi folks,

I have a conversion in mind that involves a sort-of "barbarian belt", which is an irregular fur pelt banded around the figure's waist with a large belt and belly-plate. Something like this belt, over the fur waistband on this figure. Maybe something close to this?

I googled a bit, but a lot of hits came up with old forum posts that led to dead links. Does anyone have any good suggestions for sculpting nice Scibor-like fur? I'll probably be using greenstuff, since that's what I have, but I'm open to other materials if need be.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Sculpting Fur
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »
Those are very nice, but oof, A bit pricey at 20 EUR a pop.  :?

Offline mondria

• Librarian
    • midnight greys
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »
large blunt needle, put it in the putty then pull down softly in the direction you want, it will take a lot of practice

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »
You could make a mold (using greenstuff or Oyumaru/Instant Mold or silicon or whatever) of some fur on an existing model that you like, then after it cures just press some greenstuff into it for instant fur. Like using those Micro Art molds, but much cheaper. 

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »
I use greenstuff and a blunt scalpel blade.
For a smooth pelt (fur innermost) I use a sculpting tool to create the smooth or wrinkled area of the skin and them scribe a small line around the edges. Then using a scaplel blade I use short strokes to pull out the edge to create points to simulate fur sticking out. These can be teased to create a rippled effect.
For a furry pelt I start on the bottom edge, pulling a little greenstuff down with small strokes of the blade. I then start a bit further up and repeat the process so the strands overhang in much the same way you'd sculpt thatch. By changing direction slightly you can achieve a passable shaggy fur effect.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 08:08:28 PM »
This link may help - http://xenite.wordpress.com/modeling-painting-and-hobby-articles/how-to-sculpt-fur/

Though this video is for 40K it gives a rough idea

Andrew

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 08:34:52 PM »
Is the conversion for gaming of reproduction. The reason I ask is because if it's a personal project a fur effect can be painted on a flat surface. That said if you want a kind of drybrush or wash technique when painting then you'll have to do the texture, but like sukhe described ( nice putty work btw) good fur texture can be created quite easily.

In terms of the full belt with large metal buckel you just have to think of the whole thing like layers,so sculpt the fur but sculpt in the depression made by the heavier metal bucket so when you sculpt that it sits right on the whole thing.

Looking at scribors fur if you have a figure to hand just copy the fur on a blank (which could be a biro pen etc) or plasticeen

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 08:52:17 AM »
The video gives a very stylised fur effect, but rather than tugging down triangles of greenstuff, if you actually use a blunt blade right side up the greenstuff is sufficiently sticky to be dragged downwards by the edges of the blade into finer points and get a more natural effect imho. I used this technique to sculpt a Westeros Giant from a Moria Troll

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 09:20:57 AM »
With the gs, start at the bottom making vertical wav strokes downwards, work around the miniature. Then move to a higher position and carry on the same process. After you have done that tidy up the ends of the fur and it should look good. I use a clothes pin stuck firmly into the end of an old paintbrush and that works really well.

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »
For my fur I use these, and yes one of those tools is 3 pins in a lump of milliput!

Much like everyone else, pulling the points through the putty gives quite a nice effect, and using the 3pin I can overlap the marks pull them longer and get a reasonable effect quite quickly. I am no expert but it comes out a little like this (sorry for the blur).
Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!