Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Grant's Liberators (Pulp Alley League) - Updated League Photo added!  (Read 5776 times)

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
We will be playing our inaugural game of PULP ALLEY this weekend. Tenz and I are probably the two most dedicated Chaos In Carpathia players in the world but, when I got my hands on the play-test rules for Pulp Alley I knew we had to try them. Anyway, the models I ordered from Artizan arrived a couple of weeks ago and I just finished them tonight.

Capt. Grant is a mysterious figure. His full name, nationality, and base of operations are unknown. However, it is clear that he is independently wealthy and has a personal mission to seek out and eradicate evil doers and criminal masterminds. To help him toward this end are the Liberators - a ragtag band of freedom fighters who have left their homes and pasts behind them. They all have inner demons to exorcise as they risk their lives at the Captain's side, battling evil across the globe.

The final two slots will be spent on the Network of Supporters perk.

To my knowledge, Tenz has three models complete and is plugging away at the last couple. He is going with an ex-Nazi mad scientist complete with goons and robots. He is taking the Bastion of Science perk and will use any Gear points to represent robotic upgrades on his skelebots.

Our story will begin somewhere in Eastern Europe as the Liberators embark in search of a Classified Blueprint that went missing from a British army base...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:49:09 AM by jet »

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
Re: Captain Grant's Liberators (Pulp Alley League)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:16:51 AM »
Wow Jet great paint jobs on the minis and the scenery is fantastic - look forward to reading the action report soon. Gregarious Grant is going to be tough to beat with those abilities!

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 04:30:45 AM »
Great choice of figures and even better paint job.

As always, your scenery is outstanding too.

Hope you find PULP ALLEY as fun to play as we do.

Best wishes.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 04:46:08 AM »
off to a groovey start!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 05:01:47 AM »
Outstanding paint job, Jet!  :-* :-*

Looks like they're ready for some action!

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 07:40:22 AM »
Very nice painting, looking forward to the game report!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 07:46:39 AM »
Don't forget to post these nice toys on the PA Forum..... 8)
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 08:36:13 AM »
A great beginning, Jet, this will be a great fun for sure. Looking forward to your report!

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 02:04:25 PM »
Those are awesome. I have at least one other guy at my local game club talked into starting a campaign game of some sort. Should be quite fun.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »
Thanks for the kind remarks.

Gregarious Grant is going to be tough to beat with those abilities!

Well, I'm hoping. I imagine he has a background in boxing and fencing, not to mention his years of study in the Orient  :D

Hope you find PULP ALLEY as fun to play as we do.

I feel confident it's going to be a hit. I like that (a) you don't have to be concerned with what models are armed with and (b) you can dream up ANY type of league and represent it on the table.

Very nice painting, looking forward to the game report!

We are playing Saturday. Photos will be up by Sunday or Monday.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »
Those are FANTASTIC! GREAT brushwork & basing...VERY WELL DONE!

By the way, who makes Churchill? I've been on the lookout for a goat.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »
We finally had a chance to play a couple of test games last night. I lost both but still had a blast! That sneaky Dr. Vrex and his associates - let's just say Capt Grant has his work cut out for him.

We rolled on the tables for Plot Points and came up with:
Major: Coded Map (Inside the small cabin)
Minor: Camouflaged Munitions (Inside turnip barrel)
Minor: Stygian Idol
Minor: Foreign Agent
Minor: Power Coil (Inside Old Tree Trunk)

Thanks to the Network of Supporters perk, I rolled Grant's Finesse of 3D10 and scored 3 successes! I spent them on Rumors and Gossip, and Savoir Faire. Tenz used his Bastion of Science Perk along with the Dr.'s Wealthy ability to gain 3 points of Gear. He spent it all on a Gas Microgrenades. He only used it once but, as I read the description now, I realize he could use them throughout the game. Won't he be annoyed  ;D

The major plot point was inside this building. Grant chose not to search for the Munitions in the barrel. Instead, he tried to make it through the window to head of Dr. Vrex, who was practically standing on the major Plot Point.

One of the Dr.'s Skelebots stands nearby, guarding the door for his creator.

Capt Grant tried to go through the window but failed the Peril that Tenz played. Obviously, the devious Dr. Vrex had set a tripwire at the window before heading down in search of the Map. To add injury to injury, The Dr.'s Sidekick Boris threw a Microgrenade and caught Grant and Churchill in its blast.

Meanwhile, Yuri was trying to get to the Foreign Agent but Boris' hound and a Skelebot intercepted him. He fended them off for most of the game but eventually had to make a quick escape back to the rendez vous point in the forest.

Lester had made his way through two Perils and was lucky enough to draw a simple Finesse Challenge. It seemed certain that he would find the Power Coil inside the tree trunk. Obviously, the thief had hidden it very well. By the end of the game, Lester came under heavy Skelebot fire and had to retreat into the bushes in order to save himself.

The real action was taking place in and around the abandoned cabin. Dr. Vrex ran down to the hidden study but, just before he was able to claim the map, Grant flew down the stairs and gave him a fine thrashing. Monique wasn't far behind and soon joined in. The Dr. was in a tight corner. However, his faithful Sidekick Boris appeared at the top of the stairs and knocked Monique unconscious. Although the map wasn't found, Boris did manage to take a rubbing of the runes on the Stygian Idol. Perhaps this ancient language is linked to the cipher of the map? Time will tell...

Well, not to jump on the bandwagon, but Pulp Alley is certainly a major contender for those wanting to game Pulp action. We actually played a learning game before this one and, by the time we started the second game, we mostly knew what we were doing. (Of course, it helped that Dave was answering our questions over on the forum as we were playing. How's that for customer support?)

Now that we have a better understanding of the Abilities, we may make some changes to our Leagues and Characters. For one, I will drop Capt. Grant's Lucky Devil ability and replace it with Rugged. Lucky Devil is great, it's just that, with the Network of Supporters perk I can often get the ability by rolling on the Contact table. I'm also planning on making Yuri my Sidekick (as I played, he just seemed like a Sidekick to me), and downgrading Monique to an Ally. I have another mercenary to paint (American GI type) and I think he'll also be an Ally. Finally, Lester (who has a bumbling look to him) will be downgraded to Follower and Churchill will be released to a pleasant and peaceful field to live out his retirement. I'll post a photo and roster of the updated league when the remaining ally is painted.

Of course, as we did (and are still doing) with Chaos in Carpathia, we're already discussing the next league we'll be painting.  ;)

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
Re: Captain Grant's Liberators (Pulp Alley League) - First AAR added!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 07:50:48 PM »
ooh shiny  ;D

great stuff
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 08:14:29 PM »
Anyone know where there might be a synopsis of how the Plot generator works?
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »
Thanks Paul. We had a ton of fun. I've been watching your reports with interest as well.

By the way, who makes Churchill? I've been on the lookout for a goat.

Sorry I missed this earlier. I bought him from the Hovels website the same time I bought the buildings - http://www.hovelsltd.co.uk/animals_25mm.htm

I think that I bought pack C25 "Nanny Goat and Two Kids." I wonder what the Billy Goat looks like...