Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:44:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SOBH - Fantasy Adventure [Giving it a try]  (Read 6722 times)

Offline southheaven

• Librarian
SOBH - Fantasy Adventure [Giving it a try]
« on: January 18, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »
Iīve read through the rules and they seem to be alright for a beer'n'prezel kind of game. The focus seems to be more on the story telling point, than the actual simulation of a battle.

The good guys i did some time ago. They were a quick paint job since they are only intended for roleplaying needs. They are plastic miniatures from some board game. I donīt know wether they are from GW or The Dark Eye. The house i build years ago and never finished it. :( I might use some other fences since i build them at the same time as the house and they are pretty simple constructed.

A slightly better picture of the miniatures. As a group thing they all have some green part on them.

So hereīs what iīm working on right now. Mantic zombies and the elves you got with the LotR magazine from GW.

To try the game i will play three scenarios. In the first, the good guys will have to get a magic item from the woods which is protected by elves(high quality). In the second they will have to protect a village from the hordes of zombies(low quality) and skeletons. And in the third one they will have to go to the cemetary, where they will face the evil magician himself and his minions .
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:27:46 PM by southheaven »
http://nftu.wordpress.com/ (german language)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: SOBH - Fantasy Adventure [Giving it a try]
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:27:51 PM »
That sounds like a fun series of games to me!
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 09:56:58 PM »
SoBH is a great ruleset, with some major bugs though. How do you manage with the effect of arrows? and the whole point system is quite not working, since in the official army lists there are some pieces that are incredibly more powerful than others.

You pieces, anyway, are very nice and inspiring. i'm shure you'll have great games, expecially with a proper storytelling! ^_^

Offline southheaven

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:15:40 PM »
So, following this thread: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=49989.0 i started to build the following three houses for the second scenario.

For the first building i used styrofoam glue, but then i got the glue gun out and every thing moved faster(although i burned a finger like every time i get the glue gun out. :P )
The right house in the first picture will have a balcony and the left one a part of the roof for the miniatures to stand on.

I might build 2 or 3 more using this technique, once i have finished those till next friday. :P

Oh, and here is a crappy picture of some skeletons.

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:45:36 PM »
This looks very promissing , looking forward to more :)

My Vintage Dwarfs: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42987.0

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:11:19 PM »
This looks very promissing , looking forward to more :)

I agree: this is a Project with TREMENDOUS potential...& a lot of VERY COOL minis. I too will be following your progress. Keep up the FINE WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »
my only concern: there's no inside. That might not be a problem for a usual WH scenery, but for a skirmish... that's a loss! On the other hand, working this way allows you to sculpt at least the double in the same time!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 07:08:01 AM »
Pretty easy to abstract the fighting in houses and to use tokens to indicate someone is in a house and what level of the house they are in.

for skirmish? Not really convinced. Maybe it's better just to consider the houses as "closed"... ^^

Offline southheaven

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 07:33:14 PM »
my only concern: there's no inside. That might not be a problem for a usual WH scenery, but for a skirmish... that's a loss! On the other hand, working this way allows you to sculpt at least the double in the same time!
I totally agree with you that a terrain piece that is just impassable terrain is a waste of opportunities. On the other hand from my personal experience houses with insides are overrated. Thatīs why i allways try too give the terrain pieces more than one level like the balcony or the climbable roof, which in my opinion will find more use in a game so that all the time spend fully decorating a house is not justified.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »
I totally agree with you that a terrain piece that is just impassable terrain is a waste of opportunities. On the other hand from my personal experience houses with insides are overrated. Thatīs why i allways try too give the terrain pieces more than one level like the balcony or the climbable roof, which in my opinion will find more use in a game so that all the time spend fully decorating a house is not justified.

a good point, actually. Probably that is more valid for fantasy than modern (i mean, gun fighting), because a complex house inside is just a place like another to melee.
When you have short-range shotguns, grenades, overwatches, counter actions and such the value of the insides grows pretty much.

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
I like the house with the platform in the top pic, I have a very similar house ( also unfinished) with a first story floor leading out to nothing.
I think I am
Going to copy your platform. I think your pic might just have given my the kick up the bum to finish mine  :D cheers.
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline southheaven

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 09:21:55 PM »
I was in a Murnauesque Mood :D

The picture could have been awesome, if i had finished the buildings allready. ;) Today i only managed to get the Lich done. Will post a better group pic of all the undead later.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:27:59 PM by southheaven »

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 09:31:53 PM »
Interesting,the games should be fun,never been disappointed with any sobh games we have played

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 11:50:29 PM »
The way I see it is the person inside the house would either be at a window or door or defending a set of stairs as they are the most effective positions to be in re house to house fighting. I have played skirmish games where the people in a house were abstracted and it worked pretty well.

The other option is to make a few interior maps of the houses and have the figures in buildings transfer to the interior map when they enter the building. Those starwars clicky figure game maps in style would be more than sufficent.

the abstracted way of gaming is shurely a good one, i've used it myself most of the times. But it lacks some of the spirit of the skirmish. But probably it is more for a gunfighting game than a melee one.

Using the maps separately is pretty clean for gaming, but there's some losses on the modellistic part. Still better than build a whole city with the insides. (which is probably the way i'd follow! Definitely not the most pratical one!)

Offline southheaven

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 06:55:51 AM »
Is there a way to play SoBH with multiple players say one GM and a bunch of players, each controlling a small warband? The rules fit well for One-on_One or solo play, but i couldnīt find any hint on such a combination.