Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:01:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691478
  • Total Topics: 118393
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Recommendations for British officer types - I have chosen (25th Jan)  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Recommendations for British officer types?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »
God, I am a bleeding idiot. I have that RAFM Brit officer in a Glengarry. Hell, I have even painted it, and it never crossed my mind during this discussion. I completely forgot I had him. lol

In addition to being part of that British Infantry set he was sold in the VSF pack of adventurers that were the player characters from the Space 1889 boardgame "Temple of the Beastmen" (one of my all-time favourite games). He was Lieutenant Arthur.

(paint job is a bit rubbish, my excuse is that it was a last-minute rush-job for Round 10 of LPL3  ;))

He dates from the late 80s, and scale creep means he has been a little left behind by most modern figures.

Here he is beside a couple of Foundry Darkest Africa fellows. A little shorter, but whether he passes muster or not is purely a matter of personal taste I guess.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »
Oh, damn, he looks quite spiffing painted up, doesn't he? Looks fine to me as far as scale goes too. Oh, decisions decisions...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 11:30:39 PM »
Seeing Monsieur Plynkes figure reminded me of this chap I have:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2307

I believe he is from the Baker Company Zulu Wars range. He comes in an officer pack with four or five other figures and is compatible in scale to Foudry, Artizan, Perry etc.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »
He's also a fine figure of a British Chap, isn't he? Perhaps 'decisions, decisions, decisions' is more like it then. I've lloked at the site, £9 for 8 figs is pretty good value, an the 'senior' officer looks good for a group or army commander...  what are they like as minis? The pic on the site is a little naff.

Nice Venusian lizard-y thing, by the way.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
A mixed bag of figures, this chap is the only one I have that is painted. They are nice enough and definitely larger than the RAFM ones.  :)

One of the NCOs I am sure looks likemNigel Greene as CSM Bourne from ZULU. :D

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »
Well, looking at them, there's obviously a few nice things - getting a Colour Sergeant and a Bugler would be nice, and there's a  'spare' Ensign in their Victorian Characters range who looks like he might be handy... and a few more NCOs are rarely going to go to waste. Some of them just look a bit clunky in that photo. But I'll take your word they're OK.

I think I've persuaded myself here...

Nice to see their Rifle Brigade painted pretty much the same as my UNIT troopers as well - though of course, they're wearing khaki pith-helmets rather than caps.

Thanks to all who contributed - and Plynkes, awesome painting on your DA chaps there, I was so excited by the Officer fig I forgot to mention it at the time. Ta for the troop photo too! Very interesting.