Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:27:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Low powered characters in Supersytem  (Read 1607 times)

Offline carlosyc

• Bookworm
Low powered characters in Supersytem
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »
Hello

Iīm in trouble with low power characters.

The problem is that you have to play characters with the same number of points, not bands with the same number of points.
I usually proof with three characters with 80-85 building points and one character with 100 building points
Itīs difficult to me make low power characters, they are about 60-65 building points and if i want use them in my bands i have to add points (powers and atributes) that are not trasfondistic

I try to add objects: jet-pack, health potion, etc...but i donīt like too much

My question is: Could i play an equilibrated game with character with two bands of 65-85-85-100-115 points? or character with 65 will be ridicolous?

Thanks a lot

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
Re: Low powered characters in Supersytem
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:14:58 PM »
Try bulking out your low power guys with some henchmen?  I can't remember the power (i'm at work so I can't look it up) that allows copies of himself, but with different abilities.  Or there is another that allows a sidekick, that sidekick could be a henchmen group? or TWO if you really need to boost the points?

workerBee

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:44:41 PM »
IIRC, roughly 2 x 85 = 1 x 100; 2 x 65 = 1 x 85; 2 x 50 = 1 x 65.

Not a guarantee but an good rough estimate for relative power.

Henchmen are a whole different kettle of fish.

Yes sidekicks are available - they are built from the points of a standard character.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:53 PM »
Yup, that's what I meant Glenn.  Take a 65pt hero, throw on 15-20 points of sidekick, taking him to 80-85pts.  Then buy up the henchmen to help him out.

Offline carlosyc

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:12:35 AM »
Very original aswers Fergal: sidekick or extra form

But if Glenn declares than "rule of 15" works itīs clear. Itīs a strange system of points

Offline soapy

• Librarian
  • I sculpt therefore I eat.
    • My blog, sometimes work, sometimes play.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:52:45 AM »
If you look in the scenario section it states the size of team you get to play (in points) which just happens to equate to 5x85BP characters for the medium sized game. There is no reason why you should not play with a range of different heroes at different BP. The rule of 15 is more of a guide line to let you know how likely your guys are to suck against higher points characters but the fact that you are asking about 'low powered heroes' tells me that you already know they are going to have a tough time. ;)

Don't get too caught up on the 85 point character thing especially of you are intending to go for lower pointed heroes. Opponents tend not to object to their guys being better than yours. If people get funny about you playing a 115BP character why not try creating one who shares the same dice pool cap as an 85BP hero (9D). You will get a greater selection of powers and a few more bells and whistles but you won't have dice pools that the other guy can complain about not being able to beat.

workerBee

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:05:36 PM »
I have been toying with the idea that heroes "earlier" then the "standard" timeline (say Zorro or Monastario in 1800) run closer to 60 points for the 1800-1820 time frame.  If you pit Zorro and a few henchmen versus Monstario and a few "normal lancers" (mostly 2's with a 3 to reflect shooting or sword skill above the normal civilian level) can you recreate the kinds of adventures you got on the Disney TV series?  Does it work better to make the lancers henchmen?  Is Sgt. Garcia a sidekick or a 60 point level hero?  Basically what makes a fun game that is balanced in play.

Alternatively do you make a solo Zorro 85 points and Monastario 60 points, Garcia a 60 point character, and the lancers henchmen or a group of "normal lancers"
 as depicted above?

Okay, rambling over.

Gracias,

Glenn

workerBee

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »
Hello

Iīm in trouble with low power characters.

The problem is that you have to play characters with the same number of points, not bands with the same number of points.
<snip>

Well, it's you game.  As long as everyone is agreed you don't need to have every character at 85 points IMTO.

Gracias,

Glenn

In My Trouble-maker Opinion

workerBee

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »
Very original aswers Fergal: sidekick or extra form

But if Glenn declares than "rule of 15" works itīs clear. Itīs a strange system of points

It's a guideline more than a formula to me.

I guess you can think of it as  geometric or logarithmic progression.  Heroes get "better" "faster" as you move in 15 point jumps.

Think 60 points is a "street sweeper" vigilante, 85 points is standard Comic Book hero, and 100 points as supreme super.  Someone suggested on "some forum" (old age) that the DC Superman might be in the 115 or more (lots more IMO) range.

Gracias,

Glenn

workerBee

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »
I can guarantee  ::) you that 4 x 60 point characters would be a challenge to a 100 point character but that the 100 point character (dice running normal) should in theory be victorious in most cases.  Kind of like 4 Shermans against a Tiger/Panther perhaps.

Never tried it out personally - now you have me wondering how that would play out.   :o   lol

Of course any custom built team could possibly defeat a specific single character they were designed to fight but a different 100 point character conversely should stomp the custom built team (think knife to gun fight.)  You don't always get the Evil Overlord you want...   :)

Gracias,

Glenn