Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:42:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My scifi projects. (updated 30-01-2020)  (Read 32754 times)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 3-March-18)
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2018, 08:32:59 PM »
Nice stuff there!

The Engineer is indeed a Star Wars "bendy plastic" figure from WotC.  They're the little engineers on Utapau in RotS who start to work on Obi-Wan's fighter when he lands, just before he fights Grievous.

And a fine paint job too, if I may say so!

Love your Asterian Marionette droids, I think I painted mine exactly the same way!  Cracking models too - restored my faith in Mantic.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2018, 12:27:27 PM »
Part of the issue may have been that the decals are indeed old while another part may have been my inexperience with decal fix.

The problems were with the ones placed on the shoulders. They were lifting a bit because of the curved surface and one edge seemed to "bead up" and I had to work it a lot with the brush to finally get it to lay flat.

Can someone explain the difference between decal fix and decal medium?

I've heard of micro set and micro sol and I'm not adverse to switching to those products. Is there a tutorial on their use you would recommend?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2018, 08:13:44 PM »
I used this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pFcTb2lJWw

I don't use a lot of traditional waterslide transfers (LBMS 'stickers' work in a different way), but am currently prepping some Warlord Games (ex Immortal) plastic hoplites for which waterslide shield transfers are supplied in the box, so I expect to pay around with Micro Set and Micro Sol when they are painted.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2018, 01:45:56 PM »
And here's another one, about decals on shoulderpads using Micro Set and Sol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQiDs9nI7P4

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I think I'm going to buy some Micro set and sol.  Do you need to put a layer of gloss varnish on the model before using those products for a better seal?  It didn't look like it in the video.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2018, 01:43:28 PM »
I usually use a coat of gloss varnish before putting any decals on.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2018, 08:27:11 PM »
It is recommended, yes.

I don't remember if the video says so, but it is also a good idea to seal the transfer with varnish after it is dry (but you probably knew that).

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2018, 01:55:23 PM »
Just finished my "Dogs of War" squad.  I received the leader and two heavys for Christmas and had a chance to paint them up. Easy and fun to do. I forget where my beloved wife purchased them, I'd be interested in adding a few more to the squad.

Anyone know who made them?

The bases are from Fenris.

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
Anyone know who made them?

I bet my money on "Ar-men Command 2" from Black Hat Miniatures. Sadly I cannot find them on their website anymore.
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2018, 08:46:33 PM »
I bet my money on "Ar-men Command 2" from Black Hat Miniatures. Sadly I cannot find them on their website anymore.

Thanks, Von der Tann,

I found them here: https://www.blackhat.co.uk/

It looks like they have sold a lot of their 25/28mm range including their sci-fi range to Bridge Miniatures.

From Black Hat Twitter Feed:
25/28mm Ranges Sold

We have today sold the majority of our 25/28mm ranges to another company.

This does NOT include the 28mm Chinese Fantasy range Tales of the Dragon Kings which we are still producing but does include the following ranges:

Samurai
3 Musketeers
Gladiators
Robin Hood
Shattered Isles Fantasy
Cobalt-1 Science Fiction
Mutants and Madmen SF / Superheroes

The new owner is in the process of setting up a new company and will be using these ranges as a basis for this new venture. As soon as the ranges are available again we will add the information to our website. As of today all the ranges are marked as out of stock and we can no longer accept orders for them.

This is part of a small change of direction for Black Hat and myself. I have been running a new Toy Soldier company Imperial Miniatures alongside Black Hat for a while now and am finding that I have been so busy with both ventures that I simply do not have the time to develop new products which is the fun, interesting side of the business.

This has meant that Black Hat has suffered as I have not been able to expand ranges.

I will now have more time to release the new figures that have been sculpted and moulded for Martian Empires and it will also enable me to have the time to concentrate on and give proper attention to the 15mm ranges, the 54mm Toy Soldiers and the Coat D’arms paint range.

Many thanks
Mike Lewis

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 11-April-18)
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »
The start of a new project... the armed citizens of Sulfur Slag Oasis.

The premise is that Sulfer Slag Oasis is an area where the civilians are able to produce (mostly) pure water and they guard their resource and the equipment that produces it vigilantly.

The heart of the system are some ancient semi-portable fusion generators that keep the community "off the grid" and powered.

One of final stage purifying towers.

The first two citizens of Sulfer Slag Oasis. Old Amos and his half-eldari daughter Spring. When asked about his daughter Old Amos just smiles and gets a far-away look in his eyes. People that ask Spring about her heritage often get shot.

Old Amos is an EM4 ganger with the heavy weapons option. The lead parts are kinda neat and have nice detail. Spring is an EM4 ganger with an old GW las-pistol and a hasslefree head swap. I didn't notice that they don't have ears and my feeble attempt at making ears led to pointly ones...

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 23-June-18)
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2018, 03:56:03 PM »
Two more members of the Sulfur Slag Oasis community are done.  Please meet Slick and Sly. Slick is sporting a jaunty red beret and a surprisingly modern (if large) laser pistol while Sly is wielding an older model bolt gun. The addition of a foregrip helps make the recoil a bit more manageable and the homemade ammunition makes the reduces the firepower considerably compared to military loads. Nevertheless, they stand ready to welcome honest traders and defend their home from bandits.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 23-June-18
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2018, 12:55:07 PM »
Furiously trying to finish my armed civilians before the weekend (camp starts next Monday and we usually have time for a few games).

Grace and Carlos bring a bit of style to the community as well as a bit of extra firepower. Carlos and his light machine gun help keep the traders visiting the Oasis honest.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 12:57:16 PM by Bahir »

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 28-June-18)
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2018, 09:04:39 AM »
In one of my games next week the players have to rescue Belle.  What I won't tell them (until they are in Line of Sight) is that Belle is the planetary governors favorite cow.

If Belle is hurt, there will be dire consequences  lol

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
Re: My scifi projects. (updated 11-April-18)
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »
The start of a new project... the armed citizens of Sulfur Slag Oasis.

The premise is that Sulfer Slag Oasis is an area where the civilians are able to produce (mostly) pure water and they guard their resource and the equipment that produces it vigilantly.

The heart of the system are some ancient semi-portable fusion generators that keep the community "off the grid" and powered.

_fqu2EbYH9PWqY8NwglILHS7rn_l2zVf3sLZLumc0NId6Xl6mf0jA2gyV_Mh_lCWVbLxIydjYsxjJ6Y1Dv3m6785sCCc02IR5dBj=w832-h624-no[/img]

Brilliant use of printer cartridge packages there!

The scenario sounds pretty good too!