Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:34:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Necromunda Scavvies  (Read 4072 times)

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
Necromunda Scavvies
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:13:56 PM »
I've recently started painting and gaming for the first time in nearly 15 years, and I've decided to dust off my old Scavvy gang (and add some new members)...Necromunda was always my favourite game, as it was the only one I can ever win at   :) For some reason, i've always loved Scavvies, and decided to turn my gang into a Scavvy collection.

Anyway, sorry about the poor photo work. My painting is still pretty rough after so long out of it, but let me know what you think

Hopefully I'll be able to borrow a better camera from work and take some steadier shots. I'll update this as the rest of them get finished.

Thanks for lookings

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
Re: Necromunda Scavvies
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:24:19 PM »
They look great to me - nice and scabby.  If these are the bad photos, I can't wait to see the 'good' ones.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
Looking great! I'd personally highlight them up a bit after the wash though.

But keep going, Scavvies are the best gang, obviously ;)

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:04:34 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out so far. I'm going to try and brave adding a little dirt and mud to the clothes and make the warts look a little more gruesome.

I think my camera flash has overpowered some of details as they have had a highlight layer after the washes. I'll see how it looks and go from there.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »
These look great; and I agree with rob_alderman that a bit of final-stage highlighting would help them look even better.  :)

Personally, I also think that they need a little brighter contrasting colour as a visual "lift" too, and I reckon this can be really easily done! A little orangey weathering powder dusted over the feet and onto some of the base (don't cover it all - we want the colour contrasts) would be just the thing. Alternatively, mix some orange and brown paint together, and thin it with water (say 1 part paint to 10 parts water) and apply a few very light (not sloppy) washes in the same manner, and ensuring that you only cover some of the base.

I also see that you've used some FW Renegade arms on the old Scavvy models - I bought some a while ago to do the exact same thing... Great minds think alike, eh? ;)

What Scalies do you have planned? Sadly the two generations of models don't really sit that well together IMO, but I do like both types. I also some somewhere (a while ago) that somebody had made some good-looking Scalies using old WarzonE Dark legion monsters; after a little work to their faces, they looked the part!

Offline consectari

• Librarian
  • Rat King
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:55:09 PM »
You've done a great job tying together the 3 generations of scavvies.

I recall someone did a good job tying together the 2 generations of scalies.  It might have been confusedad on the eastern fringe forum.  If done right, they work together quite nicely. 
All my best ideas are someone elses

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I was thinking of trying to dab a the dirt effect on with a little sponge, but not sure how that effect might turn out on such small minis. I've seen it work wonders on tanks though. I'll certainly look into weathering powders though when i get a little more confident with a brush.

I have three Scalies, the two Outlander ones and the newer one that comes with the box set (sadly, I can't find the newer Scaly with the spear gun anywhere). My plan for now is just to paint them all up at the same time, so they have the same skin tone and see how they turn out, although, I much prefer the older lizardy Scalies to the new "Conan with scales" ones.

This weekend I'm hoping to get one of my very old Confrontation Marauder Scavvies done. There were four done, designed off John Blanches work. I came across two recently (still looking for the other two), so I'm really interested to see four generations of Scavvies all painted up in the same gang.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 07:17:53 PM »
I noticed you have a nice mix of old and new Scavvies. I am pretty familiar with the differences between the two, and I noticed it looks like when you got your assortment of new Scavvies you got some different models from the ones I got!

It bums me out that GW essentially sells the customer a random assortment of 8 Scavvies, rather than letting you know exactly what you get. I would buy singles from them if I could.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:19:54 PM by fourcolorfigs »
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
Your figures look great.
Agree with others, maybe a little more contrast, on the guys.
Look forward to seeing more figures.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 12:08:18 PM »
I noticed you have a nice mix of old and new Scavvies. I am pretty familiar with the differences between the two, and I noticed it looks like when you got your assortment of new Scavvies you got some different models from the ones I got!

The ones I got were the ones on the pic from the GW website, it sucks if you got repeats of the same model. I'd maybe try calling them up, I've never had much of a problem with their customer service.

They did do a booster pack of a different Boss and Scaly with the last wave, I don't know if they're now part of the random selection. I know I've been looking for them, but dont want to risk buying a new pack only to find they're not in. These are the two I'm talking about.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=49978.0

Your figures look great.
Agree with others, maybe a little more contrast, on the guys.
Look forward to seeing more figures.

Thanks. I have to admit, I'm struggling a little on the highlighting the skin and the dark green. I don't want the highlights to be too light and obvious.

I'm currently painting up a few more to my current standard, and once they're done I'm going to try my hand with the highlighting and adding a little dirt to their clothes.

Any tips are more than welcome.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 12:53:41 PM »
The ones I got were the ones on the pic from the GW website, it sucks if you got repeats of the same model. I'd maybe try calling them up, I've never had much of a problem with their customer service.

They did do a booster pack of a different Boss and Scaly with the last wave, I don't know if they're now part of the random selection. I know I've been looking for them, but dont want to risk buying a new pack only to find they're not in. These are the two I'm talking about.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=49978.0

Thanks!  I also should have added that I do love your paint jobs!  It would be a pleasure to have my models killed by that band of ragamuffins!

Offline demi_morgana

• Mad Scientist
    • Miniatures, tutorials, gallery, swearing...
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
Yay, scavvies! :-*
Well done especially you painted WHOLE gang after such a long break!
There's a serious problem though: where is scaly? 8)

Offline meatpuppet7

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »
Yay, scavvies! :-*
Well done especially you painted WHOLE gang after such a long break!
There's a serious problem though: where is scaly? 8)
This was my thought exactly.  No Scavvy gang is complete without a scaly!
In hoc signo vinces

Offline demi_morgana

• Mad Scientist
    • Miniatures, tutorials, gallery, swearing...
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 05:41:20 PM »
Yeah!!!
And the only thing better than a scaly is 2 scalies!!! lol

*off to paint the second scaly btw*

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »
There's a serious problem though: where is scaly?

My scalies have not been forgotten about, but I've hit a snag and run out of the paint i want to use for it, so the weekends going to include a little wander into the city to stock up.

My original intention was to get the Scavvies out the way, then the Scalies, then the Zombies, but I think after i finish the few Scavvies i'm currently working on, I'm going to work on the Scalies, just to break things up.

I have over 30 Scavvy miniatures, not including Plague Zombies, so I think breaking things up is going to be necessary...It would of been so much simpler if Spyre Hunters were my thing!  ;D