Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:40:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686645
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting the DeepSpawn Reaver - DeepWars  (Read 3605 times)

Offline antimatter

• Scientist
Painting the DeepSpawn Reaver - DeepWars
« on: January 25, 2013, 05:40:49 AM »
Hi all,

This is a bit of a truncated painting guide but it does show some of the initial steps. The figure is another Bob Olley sculpt, crammed full of detail and with a lot of character. The idea is that this is a reanimated body of a human Fortune Hunter that has been made into a biomech construct by the Dark Mariners. But enough fluff, the first step as before is the zenith prime in black, then white. Some additional white was brushed on to fix missed spots and blend things a bit better. When dry, the basecoats were added all over. The armor was given a mix of Liquitex Burnt Umber ink + Golden Fluid Yellow Oxide (Ochre). The mechanical arm and joints were give a light coat of black paint + Burnt Umber. The flesh was given a glaze of Pthalo Blue + Matte Medium, with some section getting glazes of Deep Violet ink. These were kept thin to help retain the shading and highlighting from the zenith primer.

When the first coat all dried, the figure was painted with dark glazes to enhance the shadows. The armor was the focus for now, giving a black paint + Pthalo Blue ink + Burnt Umber ink. In some sections, more Burnt Umber was used and in others, more blue.

The skin was then built up with highlights of blue ink + white + violet ink in some areas. Pure white was added in very thin layers as highlights, and on edges. The head had some Burnt Sienna ink mixed in so the highlights were warmer in tone.

Now we fast forward to the end. Unfortunately, there are no more shots in between. The skin was highlighted more, then the tentacles were blended with blue ink + white paint, then given some light Indian Yellow dots and a glaze where the tentacles meet the body. Some violet ink was mixed with blue ink to make a darker purple that was used to glaze the back and tip of the tentacles, with violet + white used to highlight the tips. Fine lines of white were added along each tentacle for texture. The armor was done in non-metallic metal style, blending thin layers of browns, blues and greens with while, and shading down with black + ink. Hotspots were added in pure while. The key to the overall look is the edge highlighting, added with thinned white + a touch of color. Eyes were first painted with Reaper Golden Highlight, then glazed with dark red, with an orange highlight painted on the bottom and a red-black mix on the top. A little white dot was added so the look is like the classic GW gem. One last thing was the metal jaws, which were glazed with yellow ohcre and highlighted with pure white.

One last thing. When painting non-metallic metal, the key is to paint the reflection from the seafloor (or ground) as well as the light coming from the sun. This is the key to tricking the eye. Adding the hotspots and reflections will not matter unless the basic ground highlight is added.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:19:59 AM by antimatter »
antimatter-games.com

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Re: Painting the DeepSpawn Reaver - DeepWars
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 07:46:57 AM »
Great!!!

AND it's Bob! :D
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline antimatter

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »
Glad you liked it. Bob's figures are always fun to paint. Nice bold textures and chunky details.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 03:34:10 PM »
Great painting. The shading on his flesh and the detailed  base makes this model really stand out. I hope I will see more deepwars stuff soon ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:53:23 PM by Cherno »

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »
Glad you liked it. Bob's figures are always fun to paint. Nice bold textures and chunky details.

Of course I like it! I collect Olley miniatures.  lol lol

I have been oogling the deep war stuff for a long time.

I want to marry you.

Offline antimatter

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:48:56 PM »
Of course I like it! I collect Olley miniatures.  lol lol

I have been oogling the deep war stuff for a long time.

I want to marry you.

No thanks on the proposal, but I can sell you some figures. ;)  Heck, the painted ones are always for sale too on ebay.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »
Great job once again!  I like the minimalist use of tones on this one.  With so many details, it is easy to go overboard with different colours for all the little bits and make the model look too busy.  If I could change one thing it would be to add some green undertones to the flesh, since the guy is pretty much a zombie cyborg.  That is likely what I will do when I paint up mine.

@Dr. The Viking

If you want to pick up some DeepWars stuff, Antimatter is running a fundraiser through their store similar in rewards to their Kickstarter campaign.  Its a 'chip-in' through paypal, and if you are ordering a bunch of stuff you can get some good discounts.  Plus, whatever you buy goes towards unlocking new miniatures that will be produced:  http://antimatter-games.com/games/pre-order-pledge/

@Antimatter, looking at the Chip-In page, the Giant Anglerfish is still listing as locked, when it is now unlocked  8)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline antimatter

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:52:39 PM »
Unlocked now. I see the point about the green. I was just trying to stick to the concept art, but if I paint another it will be more zombie-like.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »
More than one way to skin a sea dog!  Still looks awesome though.