Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:59:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: MAYHEM is coming!  (Read 4461 times)

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
MAYHEM is coming!
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »

Next week, I'll be releasing my new fantasy mass battle game MAYHEM in PDF format on Wargame Vault for just $7.99. Leading up to the release, I'll be previewing some of the game's features in a little more detail [so stay tuned]. If there's anything that your especially interested in learning about, then don't hesitate to ask. Here's a quick overview of just some of the features:

- custom points based army construction
- uses d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20 dice
- VERSUS game engine [including Deadlocks and Overdrive]
- play at any scale including 6mm, 10mm, 15mm, and 28mm
- players can use armies based for other systems
- no casualty removal
- includes quick reference sheets, army construction worksheet, and General’s Compendium
- official support from popular miniature manufacturers

MAYHEM gives you complete control over building your army from the ground up. After creating core profiles and heroes, you have over 40 options at your disposal that can be used to equip and upgrade. These include unit designations, weapons, armor, standards, traits, abilities, and gear.

The VERSUS game engine layers mechanics and interactions in such a way as to provide a truly innovative and unique gaming experience. To begin with, stats in the game are not based on fixed numbers but on die types instead. Anytime that you are called upon to roll dice, you may instead choose to take the default; this is equal to half the value of the die. This choice of risk versus reward is behind every decision in the game.  These die types can be improved in steps depending on which weapons a unit is equipped with and what type of unit it is combating. This system of soft and hard counters means no complicated tables or stat lines are needed, yet it rewards the application of both tactics and strategy.

The game can be played at any scale, and players may use armies already based for other popular mass battle systems. Speaking of basing, there is no individual casualty removal in the game so hobbyists are free to make each unit a mini diorama.

The download includes the General’s Compendium. This is a living document that gives would-be generals example unit profiles, advice on tactics and army building, designer’s notes, musings, and meta-game discussions. This document will be updated periodically and be used as a FAQ as needed.

MAYHEM is officially supported by some great partners including: Demonworld, Eureka, Litko, Microworld, Pendraken, and Rebel Minis.

Keep track of updates at www.bombshell-games.com.
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
Re: MAYHEM is coming!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:14:58 PM »
Woohoo! I'm so excited a little bit of wee just came out. Nurse! Fetch me a towel, it's happened again  ::)

Always been a big Havoc fan so can't wait to get my hands on Mayhem too. Now, young man, pleeease tell me there's going to be a proper printed version available too. Never been much of a fan of those new fangled PDF thingies.

Anyways, good luck with the release.
...and what fresh new hell is this?

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Wargame Vault offers Print-On-Demand services :)

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 08:35:21 PM »
Woohoo! I'm so excited a little bit of wee just came out. Nurse! Fetch me a towel, it's happened again   ::)
Glad to hear it. Well... most of it anyway! lol

Always been a big Havoc fan so can't wait to get my hands on Mayhem too. Now, young man, pleeease tell me there's going to be a proper printed version available too. Never been much of a fan of those new fangled PDF thingies.
There will be a print version. The current plan is to release the core rules and upcoming STRONGHOLD expansion as a single print edition. The print editions will be available on my site and through the various amazon sites worldwide. That way those across the pond can save on those onerous shipping charges.

Anyways, good luck with the release.
Thanks!

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »
I like the sound of this, especially since I really need an excuse to buy one of the Eureka mammupach models, and various other 10mm.

Questions -

Units intended to be multi-base or single base?

Is there a magic system?

Cheers
Rob

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:59:00 AM »
Units intended to be multi-base or single base?
It's an element based game where each base is a single unit. I recommend 40mmx40mm square bases when playing at 10mm. The Eureka mammupach fits on those nicely. ;)

Is there a magic system?
There is a magic system, but it won't be available until the expansion. I made a decision to focus on introducing the core mechanics and gameplay in the first book. I think players will benefit from this approach by not being overwhelmed with too many new rules and getting a firm grasp of how the layers of the game and units interact with one another.

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 05:14:40 PM »
Just a quick update...

MAYHEM will be available Friday, February 1, 2013 on Wargame Vault for just $7.99. That's tomorrow! :o [and coincidentally, just in time for the weekend ;)]

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »
MAYHEM will be available Friday, February 1, 2013 on Wargame Vault for just $7.99. That's tomorrow!

I must be stuck in some weird paralell dimension then because it's 9.00pm, Thursday Jan 31st here & I've just got my copy  :D

Only had chance for a quick flick through because 'her indoors' has made other plans for my free time tonight... grrrrrrr!
Hopefully get chance for a proper read through tomorrow. Already mentally spending my 'crowns' though.

Ps. Shame the awesome cover illustration isn't included as part of the PDF though  :(
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:17:23 PM by Stavros Banjo »

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 09:20:35 PM »
Sounds very interesting! I'm thinking of starting a 15mm fantasy project and these sound perfect.

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 02:37:20 AM »
I must be stuck in some weird paralell dimension then because it's 9.00pm, Thursday Jan 31st here & I've just got my copy  Cheesy
Yes, there was a bit of a glitch in the automatic release system so some people have gained early access. Enjoy!

Ps. Shame the awesome cover illustration isn't included as part of the PDF though  Sad
That's easily remedied. I'll try to get a high res cover [suitable for print] uploaded to the file this weekend. How's that for service? :D

Sounds very interesting! I'm thinking of starting a 15mm fantasy project and these sound perfect.
I think they are [but I may be a bit biased]! If you have any questions, then don't hesitate to ask.

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 12:53:56 AM »
That's easily remedied. I'll try to get a high res cover [suitable for print] uploaded to the file this weekend. How's that for service? :D

Top banana! Much appreciated  :)

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
Stavros Banjo

I've updated the download file with a 300dpi print ready image of the cover. Enjoy!

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 11:51:12 AM »
What a nice chap, jolly decent of you. Now, all I have to do is keep poking you with a sharp pointy stick until you get the printed version ready  ;)

Sadly, still haven't found the time to try the rules out in anger yet but certainly like what I've read so far. Quite like the idea of trying out some really big battles with these rules so currently having a good rummage around to see what sort of 6mm stuff is available. Will probably need to get some new glasses first though  ::)

Keep up the good work, that man.

Offline Skipp

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 12:58:06 PM »
Firstly sorry for the threadomancy. ;)

2 questions:

1- Did this ever make it to print?

2- what's the ideal basing size for 15mm...

Got a mass fantasy battle itch to scratch, mayhem sounds interesting..
(Though I just missed a 50% off sale)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »
I bought a copy recently, pdf version, though you can also get a printed version through lulu.

Recommended base size for 15mm is 50mm squares, though it's not critical and you can decide on the size yourself.