Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:46:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: PMC 2640 - new sci-fi ruleset  (Read 9245 times)

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
PMC 2640 - new sci-fi ruleset
« on: January 28, 2013, 10:28:02 AM »
Yesterday, Assault Publishing released a teaser trailer for their new miniature game:

http://www.youtube.com/v/VcJKyC1T2Nc

It's a "true company" size, 1:1 scale game for 15-28mm miniatures.
The basic rules are quite simple, and the main focus of the ruleset is campaign, where players create and develop their own private military companies. In addition to PvP games, there are also solo/coop scenarios.
The rulebook should be available in March/April.

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
Re: PMC 2640 - new sci-fi ruleset
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »
Very cool... been looking forward to this.
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:31:19 AM »
Nice artwork, but it doesn't really say anything about the rules themselves unfortunately.

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »
That's what teasers do (or rather don't). :P

More details should be released soon.

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 08:21:53 PM »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:55:40 PM »
Nice artwork, but it doesn't really say anything about the rules themselves unfortunately.

Well produced advertisement that says nothing specific.

I will wait guardedly.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 11:14:22 PM »
"has many interesting features which make it unique and very enjoyable."  We will see...

"‘true company scale’ wargame, which means that it runs smoothly both with a few as well as a few dozen units on the battlefield. "  Okay, now we know the intended niche - somewhere between StarGrunt II and Dirtside II.  That would be interesting possibly.

"limiting the number of counters"  That might be good even if the "counters" are D6 (I would suggest mini-terrain like markers instead.)

" compact and elegant, written in simple, “international” English, leaving no place for vagueness and multiple interpretations. "  This Holy Grail moment brought to you by... Hell, they might actually come close.  Let me wait and see...

"The classic alternate activation (with small balancing modifications) makes the game fast and addictive."  This I really like.  YMMV.

"Rifle team is a rifle team, whether they use assault rifles, lasers, neutron blasters or any other similar weapon. There are only two requirements: they units have to be Recognizable and Cool-Looking! "  Now this does fill me with dread but I suppose it might work and still be "Science Fiction"

"... But support them with heavy weapons teams who will pin down the defenders...  "  Combined arms, could be well done possibly.

" not feature a typical point value system. Instead, all units are grouped into Tiers "  Sounds like scarlet versus crimson but might be really elegant alternative to <spit> point systems.

"... smart, but simple morale system...  troops under fire get suppression points..."   If done right, yes...

"... Terrain pieces are not just decorative dioramas... "  Not sure I know rules where that happens...

"... campaign system... "  I would want to see this because it sounds like it could be a plus...

"... allows for solitaire and cooperative games!  "  Okay, that might be very useful.

"... PMC 2640 is designed for scales between 15mm an 28mm, with 15mm as the default one. However, there is a possibility of using smaller scales (like 6mm, 10mm) using minor modifications included at the end of the book."  Well, that is better than being ignored.

May is not too far away.  Reviews and AARs cannot be far behind.

Gracias,

Glenn

Essentially a skeptic today.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 07:15:24 AM »
Judging by their advertising spleen, the only thing that really sets this apart is that they offer a campaign system out-of-the-box. Which might barely make this interesting enough to try out.

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 08:27:15 AM »
"limiting the number of counters"  That might be good even if the "counters" are D6 (I would suggest mini-terrain like markers instead.)
The counters are mostly, if not only, used to mark Suppression/Damage Points. A unit can have up to 12 of these, so dice are the best solution IMO.

"The classic alternate activation (with small balancing modifications) makes the game fast and addictive."  This I really like.  YMMV.
All games by Assault Publishing use alternate activation, and all of them are fast to play - this one's no exception.

"Rifle team is a rifle team, whether they use assault rifles, lasers, neutron blasters or any other similar weapon. There are only two requirements: they units have to be Recognizable and Cool-Looking! "  Now this does fill me with dread but I suppose it might work and still be "Science Fiction"
What's so dreadful? It's an alternative to WYSIWYG - unit entries are quite general and list no equipment (as there's none in the game), so the players decide on the appearance of their units. Anything is ok as long as they're not too similar.

" not feature a typical point value system. Instead, all units are grouped into Tiers "  Sounds like scarlet versus crimson but might be really elegant alternative to <spit> point systems.
Uhm... The Tiers do work a bit similarly to points... Though apart from the points limit, you also have a Tier limit when composing your army.

"... PMC 2640 is designed for scales between 15mm an 28mm, with 15mm as the default one. However, there is a possibility of using smaller scales (like 6mm, 10mm) using minor modifications included at the end of the book."  Well, that is better than being ignored.
Actually, it's not a matter of scale. If you have single-based minis, than the only thing you might want to adjust are the ranges. If your minis are group-based, then you need some way to mark the casualties (dice, markers, whatever). These are the only modifications.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
Its like putting an 80 year old hooker with boobs down to her kneecaps on all the advertising at a knocking shop.

Aaaaarrggghhh, incoming visual....
 o_o
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 10:09:38 AM »
wait and see...

Don't see something very original that cannot be made by everyone (take a fantastic SF generic ruleset like NoLimit and create a "future mercenaries universe"...and you got the same...that's what I am doing at the moment  lol)

the difference could be in the system campaign which allows you to manage your mercenary forces...will have a look with interest

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 03:58:49 AM »
Its like putting an 80 year old hooker with boobs down to her kneecaps on all the advertising at a knocking shop.

Saw one in Amsterdam the only time I went there. An 80 year old in white lingerie in a window. Easter Monday, at around 11am. Smoking a cigarette.

There's not enough mind-bleach to take that image away.

Oh, I agree on the video too. Could be a LOT better.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 04:47:07 AM »
I'm genuinely intrigued, especially by the campaign and unit progression system but don't quite get the 'no equipment list' approach to weapons.

A big part of sci-fi for me is that units are different because of their weapons, equipment and technology.

Some AAR's and reports from play-testers would help us understand better.

Good luck with this project!
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 08:16:13 AM »
Well, I've been playtesting it for some time, sadly I don't have any AARs... And if I had, they would have to be text-only, as we used any miniatures we had, resulting in space nazis fighting space soviets driving space Shermans.  lol
I hope the author will publish some official AARs. As of now, I only know there's a text about choosing your miniatures to be published soon.

don't quite get the 'no equipment list' approach to weapons.
Each unit is described by 7 parameters and special rules (if it has any), while weapons don't have separate descriptions. This makes the game run very smoothly and fast, as you don't have to remember additional stat lines or check several tables - all you need is a roster sheet with short unit entries. The units get more diverse during the campaign, but their entries don't get much longer (some changes in the stats, some new rules and experience and "trauma" points).
Of course support troops have their main weapons stated - you've got units with mortars, MGs, ATGMs, MANPADS. Plus unit descriptions state the most popular weapons, sidearms, armor, uniforms, gadgets - but these are only suggestions for choosing your minis and for your imagination.
Similarly, the vehicles are divided into general types: recon, tanks, APCs, SPGs, etc. But whether your SPAAG is armed with autocannons, laser guns or missiles and whether it is tracked, wheeled or hovering is up to you (though there are optional rules for differentiating between the propulsions).

For some this makes the game less sci-fi, but I personally like how it turned out - easy to learn and fast to play.

I wonder if I haven't told too much.  ;)

Offline MKG

• Schoolboy
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 10:13:16 AM »
About equipment Sarmor told nearly everything which is needed. Making gear list is senseless, as it's not possible to predict what players have in their collection or what they like. The rulebook is main product for me, not the product to boost the sale of the minis.

To finish the teaser off-top...

Quote from: Scurv
I dont get it, You people (meaning the industry as a whole)...
Me, not us. Please do not generalize. I'm one of these crazy independed authors/publishers who decided to make the games on their own in their spare time. It's rather far from the "industry", especially that I've got many help from the volunteers.

...spend a shit ton on quality minis...
Yap, I have similar number of minis to other gamers. I buy them in amounts needed for me and playtests of my games.

...and expert painters to paint them,...
Never hire someone to paint my minis, neither for me or Assault Publishing.

...nice websites...
I did website personally.

and all the other things...
See no other things. :P The only "extra" thing in Assault Publishing is huge company stamp - the best company fetish :D
Althought in this project first time I was able to hire the illustration and pro proof-reader. But generally I have to make everything on my own including cover designs, layout and book composition from the beginning to sending to printing.

yet when it comes to the very first thing people see about a new product particularly on KS it is some shithouse motion graphics in a teaser that looks like a 7 year old did it on imovie.
Never use KS. It's my project and I believe in it enought to risk my money and reputation. But fully profesional teaser would cost so much that another KS campaign would be needed to do it. :P

In fact I challenge anyone to present a quality teaser vid for minis. You will not find it.
At least I'm not alone. :D I did the teaser to relax in one beautiful Saturday evening. So it's not bad as for the amateur in video. Anyway I found a lot of people how like it. De gustibus non est disputandum.
About music background - easy to say. Try to find good music free for commercial use. Or pay next pile of money (cost of recording the 3 min music by amateur rock band is ~250-1000 EUR).

To summarize: making professional teaser costs a lot time and money, with I may use better. I prefer to make the fine game with amateur teaser than bad game with good teaser.

Regards,
Marcin
Assault Publishing

PS. Next teaser is ready for one month and indeed it's quicker with nice metal background.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:03:33 PM by MKG »