Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:56:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scenario ideas for early ww 1  (Read 8049 times)

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
Scenario ideas for early ww 1
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 06:51:53 AM »
That is a very nice diorama,, sometimes i wish i had a club that did that kind of stuff :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 09:08:50 AM »
Looks like the set for most of the scenes from "Blackadder Goes Forth."

You need to add a really stinky and stupid private in there if you ever do go back to redo those bases.

Wouldn't it be nice if Brigade or Great War Minis did a Blackadder character pack? I'd love that.

George:   The war started because of the vile Hun and his villainous empire-building.

Edmund:   George, the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganyika.    I hardly think that we can be entirely absolved of blame on the imperialistic front.

Baldrick:   I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 09:11:12 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Quote from: "Poliorketes"
I'd say for Belgium 1914 any scenario involving river/channel crossings are good.

That's a damn good idea. The canal assaults at Mons are famous and a smaller skirmish-scale game inspired by them couldn't hurt. You also have the  first cavalry clash between Tommies and the Boche.

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat1.htm

I read my book and what plynkes said above is pretty much what it was all about.

I think it would be a really good period to game. WW1 signalled the end for cavalry and gaming that would be very interesting. The clash of old ideas versus the new er technology.

Cheers

Dodge   :wink:

Offline Jules

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 10:02:29 AM »
try this although very much about the French in 1914 it has some great incidents and is one of the best books on the battle of the frontiers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liason-1914-Narrative-Great-Retreat/dp/B000LXBY6K/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207299280&sr=1-19

I have been working on a idea for a Army level megagame based on this phase of the war.  From Mons to the Marne was a very fluid battle. Great counters already completed and looking to play test the rules further.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 10:06:20 AM »
If you tire of endless fighting withdrawals by the BEF then try Ypres. They stood and died there, and made Jerry die with them. The virtual destruction of the BEF, but their finest hour, too.

And you get to counter-attack, too!  Try this one:

The South Wales Borderers have been driven from the chateau of Gheluvelt by the young men of the 16th Bavarian Reserve Regiment. Some stragglers are hiding out in the chateau grounds, and the Bavarians are in the process of rounding them up.

The situation at Ypres is critical for the British, and the chateau must be retaken at all costs. The job falls on the 2nd Batt. Worcester Regt. (Sickly's local regiment, him being a snivelling Wuss-sterite, rather than a fine upstanding Herefordian like myself).

Advancing across open fields under German artillery fire they reach the Chateau grounds and attack across the lawn. The remains of the South Wales Borderers emerge from hiding in the chateau outbuildings and join the attack. The Bavarians are driven out and the chateau retaken. The rest of the village is still in German hands, but their advance has been checked for now. Later, under cover of darkness the British pull back to new defensive positions.

No cavalry, I'm afraid, but I'm sure you could make a small game out of part of this story. An assault on a chateau sounds like great fun. Grimm has cut his teeth building my church, I'm sure he can manage a chateau for you now!  :)

I'll see what else I can come up with, but do remember that if you tire of Flanders you can set your 1914-15 Brits against the Turks. When they initially arrived in the Dardanelles the Brits were not in tropical gear, but in their ordinary uniforms.

The same applies, I think to Salonika. I have a book called "Under the Devil's Eye" on this topic, and the photos in it show every combination of British Great War uniform you can imagine. There is probably not a single British WWI wargaming figure that would be out of place there, depending on the period and season. From 1914 soft caps, through to tropical gear and sun helmets, Highlanders in bush hats and Tam o'shanters, tin hats with neck flaps and the full late-war outfit, such as the Great War Miniatures figures wear.

And since Tiger Miniatures have started making Bulgarians, we don't have an excuse not to, now!

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »
Thank you Plynkes !

The chateau scenario is a good idea.

Now that i have nearly finnished painting my late war germans I can start painting my early war germans ( and damn I need a few more ) ... Will this never end ?

Tobias told me yesterday he has finnished his riflemen already....

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 02:30:32 PM »
The cool thing about such a chateau (which I am thinking more and more that I want), is that you could use it as a setting for games of Gloire too, and also as Moulinsart for Tintin games.

It would be a really handy piece to have. If you had the drive to make one.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 02:32:06 PM »
The same applies, I think to Salonika. I have a book called "Under the Devil's Eye" on this topic, and the photos in it show every combination of British Great War uniform you can imagine. There is probably not a single British WWI wargaming figure that would be out of place there, depending on the period and season. From 1914 soft caps, through to tropical gear and sun helmets, Highlanders in bush hats and Tam o'shanters, tin hats with neck flaps and the full late-war outfit, such as the Great War Miniatures figures wear.

And since Tiger Miniatures have started making Bulgarians, we don't have an excuse not to, now!

I have recently started researching my grandfathers service in the Great War.  He served in the Salonika campaign 1916-1918, initially in 7th Battalion Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry and subsequently in the Machine Gun Corps.

I have heard that "Under the Devil's Eye" is an excellent overview of the campaign, but would appreciate your opinion Plynkes.  Its not easy to get hold of, except for silly money (around £45+) so wouldnt wish to invest in something that isnt worth it.  Any other suggested reading from you, Helen or any other members would be greatly appreciated.

Regretably, until I started my research I, like most people, knew nothing about this "sideshow".  It seems it fared little better at the time, being something of a forgotten army.

A few  links:
http://www.salonika.freeserve.co.uk/
http://www.1914-1918.net/salonika.htm
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~cjmorton/service/ww1/salonika_overview.htm
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~cjmorton/service.htm
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 10:33:41 PM »
Looks like the set for most of the scenes from "Blackadder Goes Forth."

You need to add a really stinky and stupid private in there if you ever do go back to redo those bases.

Wouldn't it be nice if Brigade or Great War Minis did a Blackadder character pack? I'd love that.

George:   The war started because of the vile Hun and his villainous empire-building.

Edmund:   George, the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganyika.    I hardly think that we can be entirely absolved of blame on the imperialistic front.

Baldrick:   I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.

Poly, After having a laugh I must purchase the "Black Adder Goes Forth" series as its something that I really need and to sit down and have a good laugh. 8)

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 10:49:04 PM »
Overlord, I only started reading it yesterday! It was Helen mentioning Salonika the other day on the Brigade forum that made me remember I had this book. I was lucky enough to pick it up when it came out, at quite a discount from my book club. Looks like I did well. I had no idea it had become hard to find at a decent price.

I'll tell you what I think of it in a few days.

One of the photos shows British troops that are spitters for the Brigade Games Aussies in slouch hats and puttees. I may be wrong, but I think this is the only theatre where British troops were issued such headgear. So as Pete is doing a British Empire army without any Brits in it, I think to counter this I shall buy some Australians and use them as Brits!

Helen, have you never seen the series? I loved it as a teenager when it first aired, and have it on VHS (I really ought to update and get it on DVD). It is very funny, though sometimes they lay on the silly wordplay a little bit thick. And the final episode in addition to being hilarious is truly poignant and moving.

Recommended.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 11:10:38 PM »
Overlord, I only started reading it yesterday! It was Helen mentioning Salonika the other day on the Brigade forum that made me remember I had this book. I was lucky enough to pick it up when it came out, at quite a discount from my book club. Looks like I did well. I had no idea it had become hard to find at a decent price.

I'll tell you what I think of it in a few days.

One of the photos shows British troops that are spitters for the Brigade Games Aussies in slouch hats and puttees. I may be wrong, but I think this is the only theatre where British troops were issued such headgear. So as Pete is doing a British Empire army without any Brits in it, I think to counter this I shall buy some Australians and use them as Brits!

Helen, have you never seen the series? I loved it as a teenager when it first aired, and have it on VHS (I really ought to update and get it on DVD). It is very funny, though sometimes they lay on the silly wordplay a little bit thick. And the final episode in addition to being hilarious is truly poignant and moving.

Recommended.

Thanks Poly, I'll purchase this series in time.

Good for you buying some Aussies to do for Brits.  8)

Just need the shades and all will be Kool :lol:

Helen