Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:12:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vor the Maelstrom  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
Vor the Maelstrom
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:41:52 PM »
For some time I have been having some miniatures for Vor the Maelstrom lying around. I had painted up five and never got any longer with the project. So I decided to finish up a few more and give the old five a little touch up.

I kind of like these miniatures, even though they are not perfect, but they have the right look of rough soldiers on campaign, with lots of bags, equipment and pouches.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:41:33 AM by Jonas »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Vor the Maelstrom
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:43:58 PM »
I got a bunch of those old Vor Figs. I really liked the game. To bad it died the way it did. :(
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 12:00:19 AM »
There was supposed to have been a 2nd edition, but it never happened. It was on kickstarter a couple of years ago, but the goal was not reach, I think they put it up before Kickstarter was the new big thing.

I have never played it myself, but like the miniatures, the background material and the rules look fine to me too, but I can't really comment much on the rules, since I have a hard time judging rules before I actually try them out.

Personally I would love to see a 2nd edition and completion of the miniature lines, since there is still loads of units and characters with no models.

Hopefully I will try out Vor sometime in 2013. I plan to paint up some Growlers and try out the scenarios from the box.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:03:58 AM by Jonas »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 12:34:02 AM »
I thought it was a fun game with a good activations system. And the fluff worked for me.  I loved the Union, Neo-Sovs, Skinnes, and pretty much all the other races...ok wasn't a fan of the cave-men cyborgs or the blue Rosta bikers. lol

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 12:44:30 AM »
So far I only have miniatures from Unin, Neo-Soviet, Growlers and a few Pharons... To start out I am trying to collect all the Union troopers, since I think they are the most generic and would be useful in lot of other settings too.

Next I will paint up some Growlers... I am not a huge fan of those, but I think they have character and they will possibly also be useful all sorts of strange gaming.

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 05:56:29 AM »
My group has started playing vor again after many years.  I've got Growlers (on the painting table), zykhee in blisters, and have been using Void Syntha and 40k Space Marines and Orks for now.  We're quite happy with the rules and almost have the 40k armies totally converted.  Just a few characters to go.

Glad to see the game getting some love again.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:22:44 PM by BigB »

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »
OK, you write that you started playing Void, but I guess you mean Vor?

If you have any text saved with conversion of 40K armies to VOr I would be happy to get a copy if possible... If they are converted to Void that would be interesting too...

:)

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »
I loved that game, goofy figs and all. Good memories.

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »
OK, you write that you started playing Void, but I guess you mean Vor?

If you have any text saved with conversion of 40K armies to VOr I would be happy to get a copy if possible... If they are converted to Void that would be interesting too...

Oops!  Corrected that.  Started Vor again using Vor, Void and 40k figures (and anything else we want honestly).  It's allowing us all to standardize to a common set and not lose the use of our existing armies.

I loved that game, goofy figs and all. Good memories.

Denatus, I remember you on the old Void forums.  You, Guantanamo and I (can't remember if I was bstroup or headbutz on the forum) used to be very active.  Guantanamo and I ran MANY games at cons.  Good fun.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:32:49 PM by BigB »

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 03:31:48 PM »

Regarding the conversion of 40k armies, I'll be glad to post them on our club site as soon as Jason has things finalized.  He's really close.  We started with THIS SITE's conversions as a base and expanded from there.  (I think they were 2nd/3rd edition conversions)

Offline eMills

• Scientist
eMills
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 05:35:09 PM »
Loved Vor. Loved it lots. :)

Was really hoping that 2nd Edition would happen but the creator seems to have disappeared into the great, white north (Canada...  :D ) Pity too since he was committed to making the custom force builder work with, and be out with the basic Rulebook.

In the meantime, do you folks know about No Limits? It is a generic rule set made from Vor 1.0 and includes a custom force builder. Might help with some of your conversion projects.

~Eric

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 08:54:16 PM »
Interesting, I must try that out some time. I actually think some of the guys in my gaming group have the No Limit rules.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 09:24:07 PM »
Nothing quite like running a Growler force and tearing into your opponent. The look on their face was priceless.  lol

Enjoyed Void too. Taught it as part of an after-school program for a couple years. More good memories.