Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:02:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: trying to put together some 15c plastic Galloglass  (Read 2559 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
trying to put together some 15c plastic Galloglass
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »
As the title stated, I am trying to put together some 15c Irish Galloglass and kerns.
I am thinking of combing the perry bro's plastic WOTR figs and some dark age husculars. I was just wondering which range matches up with the Perry's figs the best. Gripping beast or War games factory?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: trying to put together some 15c plastic Galloglass
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 06:48:53 AM »
Find a scale comparison here (all rights by Brückenkopf Online, full article – if in German – here). The photo shows, left to right, plastic models from Gripping Beast, Conquest Games, Fireforge Games and Perry Miniatures. Wargames Factory would fit in there as well, but apart from a few bits I wouldn't bother with them, detail's too weak.

If you want to avoid the hassle at all, genuine Galloglass models for the early 15th century (but presumably usable beyond) are provided by Claymore Castings. See them pictured on Saxon Dog's blog.

Too bad, eBob hasn't got round to release his versions yet, great models. Maybe email him?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 07:11:22 AM »
Plastic normans with swap outs for ecw helmts and remplacing swords with axes and claymores would be a good way to go.

http://www.conquest-games.co.uk/index.php?cPath=22_34_35&osCsid=00b06d6c9247fa6f04519255bab1b0ef

Heads wise Redoubt or other makes scots horse would give you that look

http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=fbdcefbd93729867740ed039cae37a61

Claymore castings would be the way I would go however.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:22:32 AM »
I would also say the Claymore figures would be the best option... the WotR figures are too 'English' and the Dark Ages figures too primitive, unless you're going for the 'S.C.A.' look?

:)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:24:33 AM »
I picked up a box of Gripping Beast unarmoured Dark Age warriors at Salute, with a view to doing a bit of hybridising of Perry WOTR figures in order to produce some more hairy, irregular types - or possibly something from Westeros.

Unfortunately, while the Perry heads have the neck moulded to the head, the GB heads have the neck moulded to the body.
Not exactly an insurmountable modelling challenge, but I decided I couldn't really be bothered  :D

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »
I was bothered and mine turned out OK I think. It is relatively easy to crop the neck of a Perry head to behind the jawline or crop and drill/scoop out the neck of a GB torso (though I found it marginally easier to add a chunk of plastic rod to a GB head and add it to a slightly drilled out Warlord torso). I can't wait to get my hands on some GB unarmoured guys for my Westerosi and Wildlings  :P :D
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 06:05:31 PM »
I've done some mixing of Perry and Wargames factory ranges. The heads work great on both, and the Wargames factory arms look fine on a Perry body. I think Gripping beast might be a bit big but i can't speak from personal experience.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »
Those are all good ideas. The place I have in mind is an from an old RPG I used to run for "Riddle of Steel". And I just happened to dig up the notes I had wrote for the "Borders Campaign". My own back ground and I patterned the peoples of the border region and Isles off of a Norse-Gallic mishmash.
The main characters were a set up by the "civilized" nation to stop raids and to reopen the old trade routs to the east.
What occurred, were lots reprisal raid against the clans, open warfare. Rape, Murder, and prison breaks. The game ended because I was deployed to Iraq and left my old group in the US, but when last we played. The characters had subdued with ether treaty or arms most of the more infamous raiding clans. And was using them in a protection racket in order to extort tribute from the weaker clans and any merchants who didn't want to pay the extremely high price for protection.
Fun times.

So hopefully the idea of playing this on he table bares fruit.