Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:42:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) WARZONE - Resurrection  (Read 133242 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: WARZONE - Resurrection
« Reply #870 on: September 17, 2013, 08:33:14 AM »
Wooooaaaah...

Remember I just posted stuff I found on the interwebs which were clearly fan paintjobs, not official paintjobs. I'm just a fan posting everything I can find about the new Warzone, because I can't wait to get the stuff in my hands :)

All the grumpy comments about these are a bit odd IMO...you can't really judge the sculpts with these images. You need to see them up close with paintjobs which accentuate the sculpt. So not these ones. I think it's better to wait and see how the stuff will actually look instead of judging a sculpt's quality based on these images.
That said, of course they are perfectly fine for painted armies and don't forget somebody put time and energy in them.

But I agree it would have been great if Prodos had used more talented painters to get paintjobs on their miniatures. I reckon there are loads of painters willing to help Prodos out to show their stuff.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Prodos

• Assistant
« Reply #871 on: September 17, 2013, 09:07:44 AM »
As promised yesterday, some pictures:

The CMON post for Mitch: http://www.coolminiornot.com/339948

Pride:

The Immortal:

Golgotha:

The Behemoth
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:03:35 PM by Prodos »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #872 on: September 17, 2013, 09:13:21 AM »
Great. Golgotha also looks a lot better this way...but a shame he went for a yellowish skin. I think the light purple would have been a better choice. Especially with yellowish bone.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #873 on: September 17, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
Those are nice pics.

I have a question about the Immortal: Are some of the details painted on, or did the painter follow the sculpt? I am especially thinking of the 'Matrix'-lights on the shouilder and the bands at the joints.

Over all, I think the large models and the personalities are the ones that work best. Coincidentally, they are also the ones that most closely resemble the ols imagery.

And to clarify something: I am not lamenting that Prodos does not try to mimick the old, sometimes odd/clumsy, way the former minis were sculpted - it is the very harsh toning-down the use of clichés and details that are so instantly recognizable in the old imagery and minis.

Mitch Hunter is immediately recognizable as a Capitol hero, because the shoulder pads are more prominent on his lightly armoured body than pads of this smaler size is on minis with bulkier armour/more details.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #874 on: September 17, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »
Painted on:

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #875 on: September 17, 2013, 09:45:24 AM »
Thought so. The joints seem to be sculpted.

It's a model I could be tempted to buy... could be used for multi purposes.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #876 on: September 17, 2013, 12:24:33 PM »
Equally, when we shared some early casts with a member on here, he deliberately tried to make WZR models look tiny by photographing them next to an old and yet converted (to make taller) old model. We trusted that he would show them in a fair light, we were proven wrong.
Uups, that sounds upset!  :o

Presuming you are talking about my pic of the undead legionnaire and Vince on Page 33?
If so I fail to see any deliberate action from my side.
I just wanted to show some Warzone related pics to promote your Kickstarter effort.

Having re-read my original posting on page 32 I really do not see any malice in my writing or pics.

Honest question – what have I done wrong and where did I show your minis in an unfair light?

cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Prodos

• Assistant
« Reply #877 on: September 17, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »
Uups, that sounds upset!  :o

Presuming you are talking about my pic of the undead legionnaire and Vince on Page 33?
If so I fail to see any deliberate action from my side.
I just wanted to show some Warzone related pics to promote your Kickstarter effort.

Having re-read my original posting on page 32 I really do not see any malice in my writing or pics.

Honest question – what have I done wrong and where did I show your minis in an unfair light?

Agis. As you know I (Mark) love your painting, hence why we sent you our models so so early on in our process. But I think it is fair to say that the Vince photo should have included a statement that he had been customised (extended in hight), especially as the main reason for showing that photo was to compare old to new. It wasn't old with new, instead converted (height-extended) old with prototype new.

Joking: One could say they were shown in an unfair height!  ;D :D

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:55:58 PM by Prodos »

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #878 on: September 17, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »
Agis. As you know I (Mark) love your painting, hence why we sent you our models so so early on in our process. But I think it is fair to say that the Vince photo should have included a statement that he had been customised (extended in hight), especially as the main reason for showing that photo was to compare old to new. It wasn't old with new, instead converted (height-extended) old with prototype new.

Joking: One could say they were shown in an unfair height!  ;D :D

Ah, that explains it, next time please simple drop me a PM and I add any needed explanation.
Not good to bear any ill Feelings simply because of a misunderstanding.

Offline Prodos

• Assistant
« Reply #879 on: September 17, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »
Ah, that explains it, next time please simple drop me a PM and I add any needed explanation.
Not good to bear any ill Feelings simply because of a misunderstanding.

Agreed  :D

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #880 on: September 17, 2013, 08:28:48 PM »
*sigh* I'm glad this episode got sorted out. Eventually.

I loved WZ, taught an after-school program on TTGs, exclusively using squad box sets. I stocked them in the retail section of my game room for years. Ran demos, pick-up games, campaigns. I even supported UWZ and organized a Warzone Patrol Painting Contest one year. I was excited at the prospect of a new iteration. However this little saga radiates too much drama and not enough acumen, IMO. At this point, I'll probably get some of the figs if/when they appear at TheWarstore. But maybe not.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #881 on: September 18, 2013, 08:27:25 PM »
Scurv, that was a very positive comment, thank you for that.

Guys, I think stuff is running hot at the moment. That is fine. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

It's been a very stressful period at Prodos Towers recently and I think mark is defending our fan's paintjobs.

Yes, we could/should post painted miniatures, but at the moment it is full focus on getting the product out. I am sure that in time, we will have more and more painted miniatures on the website. It's baby steps at the moment and it's all in real-time.

As for those of you that do not feel like it is Warzone, it's a shame, I would recommend at least having a flick through the rulebook and seeing what we have done with it. If you really don't like it, that's fine too!

The photos Agis put up were actually very useful at the time. We have used them in a positive light and have since rescaled the Undead Legionnaires to be a bit larger. I will endeavour to post some scale images on this forum soon and I hope the posts that have been made do not stop Agis from posting his wonderfully painted models. I have been a long-term fan of his work ever since my short-lived involvement as a fanboy of Starship Troopers!

Again, I would like to reiterate that this has been a labour of love for all involved, but like any re-imagining, it might not be to every fan's taste. Though, I hope that every fan, new or old, will find something to love in the new rulebook. Whether that is Fluff, artwork, concepts, models or rules.  :)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #882 on: September 19, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
It's a good idea actually mate.
As far as I am aware, we had only considered the starter boxes we already do (a Squad of 10 men, a Hero and something cool), but a larger sized 'platoon' box might be quite nice too for some people!

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #883 on: September 19, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »
It's a good idea actually mate.
As far as I am aware, we had only considered the starter boxes we already do (a Squad of 10 men, a Hero and something cool), but a larger sized 'platoon' box might be quite nice too for some people!

I think it would be a good idea too... make them playable platoons with the correct points/cards etc straight from the box.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #884 on: September 20, 2013, 08:00:46 AM »
I'm not involved in this in any way shape or form but as an observation a lot of companies recently don't seem to a) grasp the power of the Internet, b) don't really promote their projects in the best light and c) get pissy about it and blame every one else customers, potential customers,  their neighbours, their neighbour's dog when negative issues picked up on.

If you're stepping into the ring, at least learn how to box first....

::)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.