Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:09:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Jovian Chronicles  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Love_the_Lash

• Librarian
Jovian Chronicles
« on: February 02, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
As Dream Pod 9's Jovian Chronicles universe comes to a close I've been celebrating it by painting every exo armor I can lay my hands on, personally I've always loved the designs and hopefully you'll agree they've come out fairly well!

CEGA Syreen Wyvern by chrisy_m_uk, on Flickr

Jovian Pathfinder Command by chrisy_m_uk, on Flickr

Jovian Pathfinder by chrisy_m_uk, on Flickr

Mercury Brimstone by chrisy_m_uk, on Flickr

Venus Ryu by chrisy_m_uk, on Flickr

Exo Armors by chrisy_m_uk, on Flickr

As ever my photography skills really don't do them justice!
Chrissy

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: Jovian Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:30:12 PM »
Good paintjobs - clean and bright.  I love the mecha and ship designs from JC, and the game was a fantastic RPG and a fun starship combat system.  You've really done them justice!

Sad to see it go, it always did play second fiddle to Heavy Gear, and I think the mix of spaceships and mecha wasn't to everyone's taste.  And unlike Heavy Gear, I never liked the developments in the supplements, things like the Venusians suddenly appearing with the best of everything.  With just the core material, though, it was a great game- still got a pile of the books stored away.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 08:16:13 PM »
I'm one of those 'meh, mecha' fellas. Too much handwavium, which I tend to restrict to my VSF.  ;)

That said, and I assume it only adds to the compliment, these are quite enchanting.

If I had to use mecha, I could quite fancy flying these. Well done!

Doug

PS I quite liked, and have several models waiting paint someday, several of the ships. For me, lost releases will be missed.

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 02:48:56 AM »
You've done a really nice job painting these!
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:00:01 AM »
Those are absolutely fantastic! Images like this make me incredibly sad to see such a wonderful game go to waste. The models are orders of magnitude better than the Battletech stuff, and I MUCH prefer the JC aesthetic to the Heavy Gear one and you've really done them a great service with your painting. They all look really good, but I especially like your CEGA. very clean paintjobs. All of them are only a few steps below the actual studio paintjobs, and certainly some of the best I've seen for the game!

I might just have to assemble and paint some of my own JC mechs now that I've seen yours. I've got a box sitting in my closet with a few dozen of them still in blister I picked up over the years but never got around to doing much with and it's been easily 6 years since any of them have seen the business end of a brush.
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:27:02 AM »
These sorts of mechs/games are really not my bag, but the figures you've painted above look wonderful and I think you've done a terrific job with them Well done sir! :)

Offline Love_the_Lash

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 05:41:07 PM »
Thanks muchly for the complements, I agree it's a real shame to see the line retired even if they aren't everyone's cup of tea because no one else is filling he gap left by them. Luckily I have a huge amount still to paint (having one of every exo fom the current line up, plus. Dragonstriker if it all comes together).

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 03:54:32 AM »
Damn, unfortunately I never did get a dragonstriker when they were still available. I've picked up multiples of most everything else though, at one point Alliance Games distibution was dumping the line and I grabbed as much as I could afford at 90% off retail. Still have a large shoe box full of unopened blisters even after making a Jovian and CEGA fleet and using others for various space games through the years. I'm quite fond of using Jovian exos in place of fighters in anything from B5 to Full Thrust to (the godawful) Firestorm Armada. I'd use em in Federation Commander too, but that friend absolutely refuses to allow me to mix Mech and Trek :P