Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:40:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Foundry's God of Battles fantasy rules  (Read 18305 times)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
Re: Foundry's God of Battles fantasy rules
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 06:05:46 PM »
Regarding standards & musicians, a standard bearer grants you additional defence dice & musician additional attack dice. You decide wether to use their abilities or not during each round of combat as any casualties inflicted on your unit results in their immediate death.

I think that rule just sold the game for me. I rather like the idea of brutally murdering the heroic standard bearer or annoying musician with a vengeance.

"Come on, boys, never surrender!" (waving flag dramatically) *Stab*

"Tootoo tootoo tootooooot!" (that's dramatic horn blowing with foot up on tree stump btw) *Stab*

lol

workerBee

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »
I think that rule just sold the game for me. I rather like the idea of brutally murdering the heroic standard bearer or annoying musician with a vengeance.

"Come on, boys, never surrender!" (waving flag dramatically) *Stab*

"Tootoo tootoo tootooooot!" (that's dramatic horn blowing with foot up on tree stump btw) *Stab*

lol

One Man's Meat is another Man's poison.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »
I eagerly await some thorough AARs. Would be nice to see some step-by-step examples of combat  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Online midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 06:28:40 PM »
Tribes of Legend was really bad, but a damn cool eye candy. You can buy this book for the same reason. But, hey, don't expect a cool game if it's like the previous.
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

workerBee

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »
Tribes of Legend was really bad, but a damn cool eye candy. You can buy this book for the same reason. But, hey, don't expect a cool game if it's like the previous.

I prefer my Fantasy rules satisfy my gaming desires and be plain Jane than be pretty and unfulfilled as a game.

Short rant from a historical grognard - the rules should "work" with appropriate ancient or medieval tactics then have the "magic" on as an additional layer, like frosting on a cake.

Elvish (fill ina fantasy race)  spears, pikes, Longbows (fill in weapon of choice) in the game should reflect their historical counterparts/applications with some additional "fantasy" flavor.  Maybe "Elvish" Bowmen fire in 25% longer range bands or do D8 instead of D6 damage or some such thing but they should be reflective of the historical application.

"Magic" in war games is a subject for another day/another thread.

Rant over.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 11:18:08 PM »
I agree with your 'rant' to a certain extent, but every once in a while it's nice to play something a little more light hearted. God of Battles isn't going to be the next big thing in fantasy gaming, by any means, but it scratches an itch for me personally. It's ideal for a quick evenings fun & the simple, fast-play rules makes it accessible to all ages. Even my wife has shown an interest  lol
...and what fresh new hell is this?

workerBee

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »
I agree with your 'rant' to a certain extent, but every once in a while it's nice to play something a little more light hearted. God of Battles isn't going to be the next big thing in fantasy gaming, by any means, but it scratches an itch for me personally. It's ideal for a quick evenings fun & the simple, fast-play rules makes it accessible to all ages. Even my wife has shown an interest  lol

Hell's Bells!   :o   o_o  Then I approve heartily of these rules, whether I ever think about buying them or not.    lol

Anything that brings spouses/SOs/children in to gaming can't be bad!   :)   ;)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline addlard.matthew

• Assistant
  • Annonoying
    • Art page
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 01:06:20 PM »
Have tosay been playing a few games of this and it's great fun, covers alot of ideas and the issues of scenario driven games, and rules like camp followers, and murdering the standard bearer, makes for a real tactical game.

Went to a previous Wargames Foundry open day with Tribes of Legend and The Original Rogue Trader 40k day were great so will be at this one.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 08:09:19 AM »
Off to Foundry's open day for this game with Momotaro today. I will take pictures and try to remember enough from the demo game to do a little battle report.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »
Well, didn't get as many pictures as I'd have liked (or really any good ones) but the open day was great! Tea and coffee on the house, and Marcus even bought a load of sandwiches for us all. Jolly nice chap!

I have to say, before going into the rules, that Foundry really are a turning things around now and seem to be putting gamers first. I think being run by gamers is helping immensely. It also has to be said that a lot of models I thought looked just alright on the website actually look down right brilliant in person and with a better paint job.

Anyway, Jake Thornton ran Derek (Momotaro) and I through a game as we were the first people there, and more people turned up as the game went on. Being shown the rules by the author was fantastic and you could really see Jake's passion and enthusiasm for the rules he's written, aimed as he puts it, at providing a game where story and fun is put first. That's not to say it isn't balanced, as he mentioned he put a huge amount of care and attention into all the factions, so everything is useful. I intend to write up a full review of the rules and a bit of a snippet as to what happened in the game we played very soon.

I think this game deserves to be hugely popular, and I suspect it will be.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 06:57:58 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time!  I am still waiting for my copy of the rules to arrive in the mail.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 07:32:54 PM »
Got to agree with you David - a great day's gaming at a great venue (I've lived here for 16 years and never once been inside Foundry!), so thanks to Marcus and Jake for putting on the day.

The game itself is slick.  We played a skirmish with small (24 point) armies, with 4 and 6 units respectively - about 40-50 figures per side.  You can play as we did, using simple armies, or add in "chrome" - heroes, priests, monsters warmachines and magical buffs, which are bought from a separate points pool.  I'll leave it to David (Gibby) to describe the game in more detail, but I will say that the rules play quickly and smoothly, and there appears to be a lot of tactical depth to the game.

A ton of flavour in the army lists too - even the battlefield terrain generator is themed to the defending army (as Jake pointed out, so you could collect your army and your own themed terrain - neat idea).

They also had the new figure packs for the GoB armies, and they're looking lovely.  I could seriously be tempted by the Thousand Tribes, which have a tiny touch of Glorantha's Praxian Nomads (for all you ancient Runequest players).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:50:04 PM by Momotaro »

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 10:17:38 PM »
Care to expand upon the new figures that will be available?  ;D

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 10:51:34 PM »
"e author=Momotaro link=topic=50295.msg600379#msg600379 date=1362252774]

They also had the new figure packs for the GoB armies, and they're looking lovely.  I could seriously be tempted by the Thousand Tribes, which have a tiny touch of Glorantha's Praxian Nomads (for all you ancient Runequest players).
[/quote]"

Tease!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 10:43:29 AM »
Care to expand upon the new figures that will be available?  ;D

One of the factions is The Thousand Tribes. Featuring:

Terror bird riding pygmies
Bison riding savage types
Pig faced Orc tribes
Much much more, with amazing models!

Another is the Sea Elves. Featuring:

Giant crabs
A merman king who looks fantastic, possibly one of the best fantasy models I've seen

Much more! All brilliant!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:47:05 AM by Gibby »