Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 03:05:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697884
  • Total Topics: 118870
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: In Her Majesty's Name  (Read 73332 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: In Her Majesty's Name
« Reply #225 on: March 05, 2013, 07:34:11 PM »
A couple of points, first and possibly the most important is that the Northstar offer is a pre-order system and not a Kickstarter. The other is that the full set 'deal' wasn't actually a deal, it was just an easier way to order everything for those people that wanted to. (I'm sure that's right, although someone can correct me if I'm wrong and it does knock money off). As such, those people could in theory decide to order fewer boxes now and get the 'better' deal on a price per figure value, however when they order the other boxes later, it just puts them back at the same point they are now and also makes it less likely they will get the extra free figures in the first place.

At the end of the day, as I said, this isn't a Kickstarter which is trying to get as much money as possible from everybody but a way to encourage/reward people for placing a pre-order for a product, regardless of how much they order.

Edit: As an aside, I have nothing against Kickstarter. I've spent several hundred pounds through it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:48:50 PM by Dewbakuk »
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2013, 07:42:13 PM »
Have you thought of a Suffragette company? Particularly Emmeline Pankhurst's jujutsu-trained female bodyguard squad?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #227 on: March 05, 2013, 11:55:33 PM »
You are right, but what a strange way of looking at this.  :o

Sorry. I'm not deliberately trying to be annoying. I think I did however get a bit over-excited into the idea of buying as much as possible in order to get all the rewards before thinking 'whoa! You're trying to justify spending an extra £54 so you get a free figure?' - after that, I thought I'd check up what the actual implications of different buying patterns were.

I'm definitely picking up at least two sets, I know that already. Whether to also get the rules I'm as yet undecided, and any more sets entirely depends on how weak-willed I am - because there are certainly some very lovely minis on display.

Offline Mingans Marauders

• Bookworm
« Reply #228 on: March 06, 2013, 07:50:46 AM »
Hi,

First time poster, long time reader of this forum. When I read the first post about this game I got really excited, but once the Ripper Street minis where announced I was even more hooked. I'm even coming up with ideas on armies, like harlots with guns lead by a Madam Susan type. I just had a few questions.

1. I know it was mentioned that they won't be previewed for a few more weeks, but will we get to see the Scotland Yard set before the end of the Nickstarter?

2. In the rules, will you have to use certain size bases for the models? I know it seems pretty free to use whatever models, but I didn't know if my current British army minis will fit as they are on 30mm round lipped bases.

3. Will the rules work for other scales? Like 15mm?

Thanks and I really can't wait!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:53:21 AM by Mingans Marauders »

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #229 on: March 06, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »
Jack the ripper is sweeeeeeeet! What an awesome mini.
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline Penchour

• Scientist
« Reply #230 on: March 06, 2013, 11:05:14 AM »
Jack the ripper is sweeeeeeeet! What an awesome mini.

indeed ;)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #231 on: March 06, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »
Have you thought of a Suffragette company? Particularly Emmeline Pankhurst's jujutsu-trained female bodyguard squad?

No we hadn't. Though the Lady Incendiaries of the Brick Lane Commune are pretty unpleasant.

One of the advantages of the rules is that it comes with a fully-featured points system that allows you to create your own troops, companies, equipment, talents and mystical powers. The reason for this is to encourage you to create your own companies as well as those in the rules book (which only had room for ten).

I am currently building the supporting blog, and once the rules are out I shall be featuring player's own creations.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #232 on: March 06, 2013, 05:54:20 PM »
First time poster, long time reader of this forum. When I read the first post about this game I got really excited, but once the Ripper Street minis where announced I was even more hooked. I'm even coming up with ideas on armies, like harlots with guns lead by a Madam Susan type. I just had a few questions.

Welcome aboard Mingan :) I'll try and answer your questions.

1. I know it was mentioned that they won't be previewed for a few more weeks, but will we get to see the Scotland Yard set before the end of the Nickstarter?

This is the question I cannot answer. Nick, over to you...

2. In the rules, will you have to use certain size bases for the models? I know it seems pretty free to use whatever models, but I didn't know if my current British army minis will fit as they are on 30mm round lipped bases.

There are no recommended base sizes. Charles and I realised a long time ago looking at our own figure collections that we had figures on a wide range of base shapes and sizes.
Also we thought that as this is a skirmish game many gamers would like to create special bases for their figures.
So instead of worrying about that we restricted the number of figures that could effectively surround a single enemy to four.

3. Will the rules work for other scales? Like 15mm?

Absolutely. You could choose to keep the current weapon ranges and move distances the same (which might make them seem a little more, dare I say, realistic) or halve them.
If you went up to 54mm then you might like to double everything.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #233 on: March 06, 2013, 05:57:18 PM »
:) Onto less baffling matters, I've put photos of Fagin and Jack the Ripper on Facebook!

Nick, you are a dastardly fellow!

You just know that we shall have to create rules and suitable scenarios for these chaps now don't you?

Mrs Hudson! We're staying in so please provide refreshments hourly. Charles I do believe that this may be a two-pipe problem...

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #234 on: March 06, 2013, 08:37:05 PM »
We are working on the Scotland Yard Company right now, so should have pictures before the end of March.

Look forward to seeing the stats for these baddies Craig!! Remember, Master Criminal (Moriarty) has been unlocked and will be photographed next week. I also think we'll hit the £18K mark, so the thug Bill Sykes and his Clockwork dog Bullseye will be made as well.

Nick

These could all be a Master Criminal Adventuring Company, chuck in a few Incorrigables.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #235 on: March 06, 2013, 08:45:16 PM »
No we hadn't. Though the Lady Incendiaries of the Brick Lane Commune are pretty unpleasant.

One of the advantages of the rules is that it comes with a fully-featured points system that allows you to create your own troops, companies, equipment, talents and mystical powers. The reason for this is to encourage you to create your own companies as well as those in the rules book (which only had room for ten).

I am currently building the supporting blog, and once the rules are out I shall be featuring player's own creations.
Excellent.

• Bookworm
« Reply #236 on: March 08, 2013, 05:20:55 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for the reply and infomation. I really can't wait to run a demo of it at my local store in my Victorian costume.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #237 on: March 08, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
« Reply #238 on: March 08, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »
The Fagin miniature is really neat, too. The pickpocket arms are a great idea.

I know I am getting the rules, and the Servants of Ra. My sons are leaning towards the Greater Thule set. I am also considering the Scotland Yard and Lord Curr's Company sets, too.

Mwahhahahahaha!  lol
J

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- Winston Churchill
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Theodore Roosevelt

• Bookworm
« Reply #239 on: March 09, 2013, 05:39:33 AM »
pictures?

I techinally have two. One's ment to be Sherlock Holmes as I was supposed to do a shoot with my friend as Watson, but me and her haven't done it yet. The other is an airship pirate type which is more VSF then Steampunk(I don't like everything brass with gears glued on.) I can post up pictures, but I dont want to go off topic. :?