Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:02:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686441
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VBCW (possibly)  (Read 3438 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: VBCW (possibly)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »
There's nothing humorous about the SCW. I suppose that's the difference. It matters.

I get my sillyness kick elsewhere (Bloodbowl for example); VCBW is just not doing it for me really.

I did try ...
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 05:26:59 PM »
Oh well, sorry we put you off... it's another of those 'horses for courses' things, I guess. The reason I don't game SCW, which really put me off, was considering the actual brutal and horrific events that I would be turning into an evening's entertainment actually made me feel ill. Fictionalising and abstracting it all made the idea much more attractive, by basically removing what I considered the repellent aspects of making a game about actual killing and horror tat happened in the recent past. I'd happily play Roderick Spode's Balckshorts or my own British League of Fascists (the Union is too posh and Southern for my Northern Fascists), but not the Falange or the Condor Legion, or by extension, the SS. But again, I'd play Hydra in a Pulp/Weird War/Superhero game.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 05:40:02 PM »
Oh well, sorry we put you off... it's another of those 'horses for courses' things, I guess. The reason I don't game SCW, which really put me off, was considering the actual brutal and horrific events that I would be turning into an evening's entertainment actually made me feel ill. Fictionalising and abstracting it all made the idea much more attractive, by basically removing what I considered the repellent aspects of making a game about actual killing and horror tat happened in the recent past. I'd happily play Roderick Spode's Balckshorts or my own British League of Fascists (the Union is too posh and Southern for my Northern Fascists), but not the Falange or the Condor Legion, or by extension, the SS. But again, I'd play Hydra in a Pulp/Weird War/Superhero game.

Agreed, and as a vet of the current conflicts, I feel strange about playing games set it in them. But I have not problem with play a fictionalized conflict.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline paul c

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »
"Troops should be stopping for tea breaks, or getting distracted by unattended beer barrels.  They should be led by Jack Ford or Compo.  Cabbage patches, and cricket lawns should be impassable terrain.  Vehicles should be living embodiments of Messers Heath and Robinson.  Prisoners should be taken with a hearty handshake, a generous fill of their pipe, and a nice chat about the events of the day."

My take on VBCW..
"For we went, changing our country more often than our shoes.
In the class war, despairing
When there was only injustice and no resistance." B. Brecht

Offline Mick A

• Mad Scientist
  • Bring three and fourpence we're going to a dance..
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:09 PM »
I play both sorts of games. In my on going campaign the games are more gritty (such as the Seige of Exeter one at PAW) but my one off games at the local club tend to be the more gentlemen/quirky games... :)

Mick
Digitus Impudicus

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 06:56:09 AM »

Hi. Noted and understood.

I don't game anything more recent than WW2 for that reason. I couldn't imagine gaming, say, the current Afghan situation but i'll happily play the 1st/2nd/3rd Afghan War (which in their own way were no better than now) but they're too long in the tooth for me to think about them in anything but an abstract way. Otherwise you couldn't game any historical actions.

As you say, horses for courses. I'll support my mate if he wants to run a campaign and i dare say the IB will make an appearance on home soil if required

Cheers, James

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 10:29:36 AM »
... the Union is too posh and Southern for my Northern Fascists), ...

That joke never fails to get a laugh from me.  lol

The topic of wargame morals and ethics is a perennial one, you'll find similar topics all across the boards here. People just have different takes on the hobby. I'm sort of with the fictionalising and abstracting crowd, which comes out in my own choices of gaming fare. Having said that, my choice of not gaming anything after around 1980 is aesthetic, rather than based on abhorrence for any more recent conflict.

By the same token, I'm looking at an alternative WW2 scenario for myself, in which the Nazis don't gain power in Germany and cease to be a force in German politics. It won't make a substantial difference to the inevitable death and destruction experienced by those involved in the war, but I'll sleep easier knowing that I haven't in any way glorified the really, really bad guys.

The 'cricket bat and shotgun' thing is what put me off gaming VBCW myself and I lean far more towards Paul C's take, where you look for 'real' organisations and factions, around which to base your forces. It's your hobby though and I'd be even more put off if folks like me, attempted to impose some kind of rigid conformity on one of the few 'periods' where people have got a free hand to do what they will. As some of you will know, these people exist!

As for gaming recent conflicts, I think the important thing is respect for what you're dealing with. I've noted a few people over the years at clubs and shows, who seem to take an 'unhealthy' degree of enjoyment out of what they are gaming, in a variety of ways. I'm also tempted to say that some wargamers are far more sensitive over what they do, than are the general public at large. Maybe it's the appreciation of what war is and does, that comes through reading up on them. Not a bad thing to my mind.

Anyway... Spanish Civil War. Good call!  :D

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »
That joke never fails to get a laugh from me.  lol

I aim to please.

The topic of wargame morals and ethics is a perennial one, you'll find similar topics all across the boards here. People just have different takes on the hobby.... It's your hobby though and I'd be even more put off if folks like me, attempted to impose some kind of rigid conformity on one of the few 'periods' where people have got a free hand to do what they will. As some of you will know, these people exist!...

I absolutely agree. We don't just have different styles of gaming, we have different reasons for doing so. I'm not a 'hardware' kind of guy, I don't care if if my riflemen have Grapefruit Henrys, Martini and Lemonade or Nancy Mitfords, it doesn't bother me. Do they look smashing in their red coats (that went out of use 30 years previously)? That's what I want to know. And why does Sergeant Noggin have such a fear of squirrels? Don't ask what happened in Straggley Woods, he doesn't want to talk about it. But my style of gaming isn't for everyone. Though of course we're all doing it for fun, we get our fun in different ways, some people from looking in depth at tactics and the capabilities of different weapons (for example), some constructing elaborate and improbable backstories in the minutest detail (yes I have a 6-generation family tree for one of my characters, who doesn't even have a mini yet...) - but one thing I think we can all agree on: those people who paint minis but don't play with them are just weird;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 03:07:04 PM »
That way of doing it gets no argument from me... you only have to look at the LDV in 1940 to imagine how far things would have gone if some people were given a free hand.

lol

I'm very much the same actually, if all my plans and ideas were actually translated into lead, metal prices would skyrocket due to a sudden chronic shortage of it. I enjoy the planning, research and all that jazz though and it's all part of the hobby to me.

::)

But yes... those folk who don't play with their toys... weirdos...  >:D