Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:29:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval Battle Royale III - battle report (pic HEAVVVVY)  (Read 28241 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Medieval Battle Royale III - battle report (pic HEAVVVVY)
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »
Thanks gents :)

I should point out that most of the Yorkist army was provided by Silent Invader, so he shares the plaudits on the painting front.

What rules did you use? I gather they're very much of a move and fight each single figure skirmishy kind.

Yes, they are a 'grand scale' skirmish set, 'By Arrow, Bill and Sword', written by Steve (Silent Invader) and available from his webstore as a free download...
See this thread for more details and rules discussion: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=48144.0

Truth be told, although we did use a few movement trays, a skirmish-style game involving 300+ individually-based figures like this, does require an awful lot of lifting and shifting of little men!
The upside is that it looks so much more realistic to see figures bunched into natural groupings, rather than all those improbably straight lines of multi-figure bases beloved of 'traditional' wargamers...  ::)

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »
Congrats, Captain! This reminds me of the old Peter Gilder battle pictures of times long gone, although both terrain and paintwork have clearly been taken into another age.  Perhaps one advice for the defeated: instead of drinking Czech beer, try this dark Hungarian one next time; the name is almost identical, but it guarantees victory, I can assure you it ain't called "demon" without reason!   lol

do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2013, 09:09:48 AM »
The upside is that it looks so much more realistic to see figures bunched into natural groupings, rather than all those improbably straight lines of multi-figure bases beloved of 'traditional' wargamers...  ::)

Quite.

A happy medium might be the movement trays from Warbases, who do some more irregular looking ones. They apparently make them to order too.

:)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2013, 11:48:41 AM »
 :D

Just to add, the way that the rules play out is that in multiplayer games with different engagements taking place all over the table it doesn't need to be a case of strict IGOUGO.  For example, during one turn both me, Malamute and Captain Blood took our activations at the same time, with me attacking Jimbibbly and Malamute, while Malamute and Captain Blood attacked Damas.  So while there can be a lot of individual minis to move and trays can really help especially in the early stages, it doesn't have to be the case that players 2-4 or whatever twiddle their thumbs while player 1 carefully positions each mini.  ;)

We did make one change to the rules, which was to improve the effectiveness of the longbow but I'll cover that in the rules thread .  :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline vladdrak

• Student
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2013, 08:52:28 AM »
Absolutely awe-inspiring stuff.  :o :-*Who needs a playstation or computer when you can have this?!
Obviously, some treachery has taken place to ensure this Lancastrian victory. lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »
Thanks all  :)

[/center]

Not sure I've seen this in England! Looks rather tasty though, so I'll keep an eye out for it  ;)

I've just noticed in this picture I took, the Future Wars collective are keeping an eye on the medieval action from the safety of their display cabinet  lol

I particularly like the idea of Lara Croft watching a Wars of The Roses encounter  :D

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2013, 08:16:21 PM »
Excellent thread, inspiring terrain and figures - please also keep up the beer shots, that's very important.

Good to put some faces to names as well.

here's me on my weekly run to ASDA  :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:19:26 PM by Stuart »

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »
How did I miss the second set of pictures? Amazing!

Even though you have, what was it, some 300 miniatures? on a fairly regular table size it doesn't seem too crowded, I like that.

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2013, 06:38:13 AM »
Wonderful!
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare