Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:07:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690765
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Causing Mayhem!  (Read 10901 times)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Causing Mayhem!
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:32:09 AM »
Morning all - just a quick post to kick off another little project!

As you may know VoodooInk has released another great set of rules called Mayhem through Bombshell Games - something I've been looking forward to for a while after enjoying his 28mm skirmish game, Havoc.

I was particularly happy to hear he was focussing on the smaller scales of 10/15mm as I've been busy hoovering up Warmaster stuff in preparation for playing some bigger games of Warhammer.

Anyway, I plan to get a turn played and reported each day or two and posted up here, along with some analysis of the mechanics of the game - first read through of the Mayhem rules was most interesting and my head is already buzzing with many a tactical consideration...

First job though is to introduce the two armies. First up is the Goodies!

Army building is easy and you can really reflect the nature of the troops with a nice choice of stats from Movement, Combat Quality, equipment and various skills and attributes - more of which later. Plus using Gold Crowns instead of points is a fun way of splashing the cash!

Goodies

Noble General
Human Cavalry with heavy armour, lance and shield
Leadership D8
M - D8
CQ - D8
Cost 18 crowns

3 units of Lancers
Human Cavalry with shields and lances
M - D8
CQ - D12
(1 unit is an Elite – free Fearless ability)
Cost 11 crowns each

2 units of Halberdiers
Human Infantry with Spears
M - d6
CQ - d12
Drilled
Standard and Musician
Cost - 7 crowns each + 3 crowns for standard & musician

1 unit of Hand Gunners
Human Infantry with rifles
M - d6
CQ D12
Drilled
Cost 16 crowns

2 units of Dwarf Thunderers
Infantry with rifles
M - D4
CQ - D10
Steadfast
Cost - 16 crowns each

Hero on Griffin
Flyer with lance, heavy armour and shield
M - D10
CQ - D8
Damage
Flyer
Impact
Terror
Cost 29 crowns

1 unit of Elf Spearmen
Infantry with heavy armour, shields and spears
M - D6
CQ - D10
Ranked Fighting
Cost 12 crowns each + 3 crowns for standard and musician

1 unit of Dwarf Trollslayers
Infantry with axes
M – D4
CQ – D10
Fearless
Berserker
Cost – 12 crowns

Total - 172 Crowns

I'll talk more about what all the different die mean in terms of Movement (M) and Combat Quality (CQ) - beginning to run late for work!

For now I'll leave you with the pics - a unit in Mayhem is effectively 2 warmaster bases put together.

The Baddies will up tonight - once I've finished off a pack of Chaos hounds...

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Causing Mayhem!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 08:20:25 AM »
They look excellent mate :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »
I picked Mayhem up on Sunday and have spent the last few days drooling over them. I'm probably going to roll with 15mm Splintered Light and Demonworld/Ral Partha, though your Warmaster stuff looks damn fine! Can't wait for the battle to commence. Kudos to Mr Spivey for producing such a cool set of rules.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »
That is a GORGEOUS array of minis. It really is hard to believe just how small they are...all that detail at that size is staggering. WONDERFULLY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »
Cheers Blackwolf and Deafnala - I think I may need a new prescription for my eyes now...

Funghy - look forward to seeing your Splintered Light stuff in action. Those Demonworld minis are rather tasty too.

Just got to walk my real hounds before I get to finish off the Chaos Hounds!  ;)

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 12:59:22 AM »
Damn it, you are killing me! You are making me want to buy the rules and a whole slew of warmaster minis! Those are some seriously well painted minis and they look fantastic en masse  together   :-*.

Great stuff (Damn you!  :)),
 Damien

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 01:25:14 AM »
Thantsants, you sir have outdone yourself. That army looks amazing! :o I love the mix of models and the profiles you've created for them. The hero on griffin is a personal favorite or mine. Can't wait to see the baddies!

Kudos to Mr Spivey for producing such a cool set of rules.
Thanks for the support Funghy, and I'm glad you're enjoying the rules! :) I'm with Thantsants in looking forward to seeing some Splintered Light and Demonworld goodness.
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 02:30:44 AM »
My pleasure Damien - damnation and all!  ;) >:D

Glad you like them Brent - Bad Guys as promised  :D

Evil General
Cavalry with heavy armour, shield and lance
Leadership D8
M - D8
CQ - D8
Terror
Cost 23 crowns

2 Packs of Chaos Hounds
M - D8
CQ D12
Pack Hunters

2 units of Skeleton Horsemen
Cavalry with lance, heavy armour and shields
M - D8
CQ - D20
Fear
Cost 13 crowns each + 2 crowns for standard

2 units of Skeleton Archers
Infantry with longbows
M - D6
CQ - D20
Fear
Cost 15 crowns each

2 Units of Half Orcs
Infantry with swords and shields
M - D6
CQ - D12
Cost - 5 crowns each + 2 crowns for standard + 6 crowns for Hero

2 units of Trolls
Behemoth
M - D6
CQ - D12
Fear and Beat Back (Free)
Cost 10 crowns each

Giant
M D8
CQ D10
Damage
Impact
Terror
Cost 35 crowns

Total - 178 Crowns

So there's the two armies - next up the table layout, deployment and the scenario...

Offline Imp522

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 03:00:58 AM »
Incredible looking armies, these rules are on my list to buy once I get back to work.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 07:23:48 AM »
Cheers Imp - hope you have fun with them!

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »
WOW! :o Fantastic looking group you have there!

So much to like: the colors on the general w/retinue and chaos hounds, the freehand painting on the shields, the giant. Well done!

-Brent

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 11:47:55 AM »
Cheers Brent!

Righto - Background, deployment and Turn 1 coming up

The first reports through from the Northern frontier with Ostland had been sketchy at first. Horrific stories of monstrous invaders and terrible massacres. Then a name began to filter through the tall tales and stories of woe borne back by the few refugees to survive - Shreevan Zeegal. A name not heard in these parts for many a year. A name not to be spoken lightly. Or even out loud...

As the  evil army advanced further into the more civilised areas of Hochland, it became apparent exactly what its inhabitants faced. Zeegal had formed an unholy alliance of chaotics and undead. His ranks were swelled by those who had fallen to him in battle and those creatures who flocked to his banner and the promise of slaughter. Foremost among them, Dulf Lundgrin, Half Orc chieftain with his warriors and trolls.

Their incursion was not to go unpunished however. Marching with all haste to meet the threat was Count Johan Von Damne at the head of his hastily mobilised army. Along with the column of state troopers, sweating under the load of their halberds and arquebus, came allies in the form of a proud company of Elf spearmen and the more barbarous fellowship of Dwarf troll slayers, roused from their mountain fastnesses, eager to find a heroic death. The unmistakable whiff of black powder signalled the presence of Dwarf thunderers also come down from the mountains to contain the threat before it grew too large.

As Bluch Norress and his famed lancers scouted ahead of the main column, Arkneld Beulenegger soared above them on his magnificent Griffin mount, spying out the approach of the enemy. With the intelligence provided by him, Von Damne had formulated a plan. Zeegal's army had to cross the river Lachtbeek at a large ford not far from the town f Eichewuldchen. If the Count could reach the crossing first and prepare his defences they had a chance of forcing the chaotic horde into a bottle neck and destroying them in detail. If they got there first...

As the two opposing generals both have D8 leadership I rolled to see who chose to set up first. Von Damne won the roll and elected to deploy and move first.

On the right the various units of black powder missile troops formed up, looking to advance forwards and defend the ford. Behind them, Beulenegger prepares his monstrous mount to fly ahead the main army  to disrupt the enemy advance.

The Halberdiers and Elf spearmen form up in column on the road - they can all be moved en masse at the cost of 1 command point, although at the potentially slower rate of their default movement rate of 3" rather than a danger roll of a D6, along with the possibility of rolling a higher movement rate.

The Trollslayers and Lancers form up on the left flank.

Along with their general, Count Johann Von Damne

Meanwhile, Zeegal's horde drew up their lines in readiness.

On the right were the skeleton horsemen and packs of chaos hounds, ready to sweep forward and outflank the ford's defenders.

Zeegal surveyed the main part of his army from his position in the centre. Skeleton archers to the right of him and the Half Orc column on his left both prepared to march on the ford itself.

On the left, howling with anticipation were the evil General's shock troops in the form of the Trolls and Giant.

And the whole table looks like this -

Turn 1

Desperate to get to the ford first and establish a line of defence, Count Von Damne elected to go first. First job - roll up command points. This is based on how many heroes, elites and standards your force contains. Von Damne manages 19 CP's - not a bad score! All actions taken by units cost a certain number of CP's - multiple actions cost double. The turn ends once all CP's are spent.

The Halberdiers and Elves move en masse up the road, digging deep they go into overdrive to push for the ford ahead of the enemy. Similarly the Trollslayers run forward as fast as their little legs can carry them to keep pace.

Bluch Norress and his lancers spur  their mounts on to advance ahead of the main column and fall on the enemy's flanks.

The Dwarf Thunderers advance, while the Handgunners gain the vantage point of the hill to dirent their fire against any foes crossing the ford.

Arkneld Beulenegger swoops down to secure the approach to the ford as the slavering Trolls draw near...

Zeegal's command structure isn't quite up to the heights of Hochland's finest. With a combination of two standards and the Half Orc hero Dulf Lundgren, Zeegal can call upon 3 D8's and rolls up 17 CP's.

The Trolls, as previously seen, race towards the ford using  overdrive to take two danger rolls with their movement rate of D6 inches.

Having rolled two 6's, they find themselves in a very advanced position, closely followed by the Giant.

Behind them march the massed ranks of Half Orcs and Undead.

Turn 2 should bring first blood...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:56:22 AM by Thantsants »

Offline El Grego

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
    • The Pewter-Pixel Wars
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »
Looking awesome - hurry with Turn 2!     :D

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 03:28:52 PM »
yes!

I love warmaster! Maybe I should give it a go with the brush soon.  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »
Never been into Warmaster, but your stuff could easily change my mind!

Stonking stuff!!