Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:19:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 433
Total: 440

Recent

Author Topic: Stonehaven dwarfs painted - comparison shot added  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Stonehaven dwarfs painted - comparison shot added
« on: February 07, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »
Some really poor photos of my dwarfs from the Stonehaven Kickstarter.  Lovely minis - a bit cartoony, but the exaggerated features make them great fun to paint.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:36:07 PM by Momotaro »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Stonehaven dwarfs painted
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »
I like these!
Nice paintwork on some slightly 'different' looking Dwarves.
 :-* :-*

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 01:31:25 PM »
Great job!  They do look like fun to paint.  :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Imp522

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:40:07 PM »
Those turned out really well. Still need to get to mine. Their Gnome KS looks pretty good too.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 02:49:26 PM »
Even with the somewhat blurry photos, the Vertically Challenged Ones look WONDERFUL! They all have such a TREMENDOUS amount of character that your FINE brushwork brings out & enhances. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 08:02:26 PM »
^^^That!
 :D

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »
Nice paintjob!  I withheld from this KS due to the 'cartooniness' of the miniatures, as you mentioned.  I think I am still glad as I would never use them, but you sure made them look pretty!  8)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 12:28:55 AM »
First, they do look good. Very well done. I think this is the first i have seen these figs with paint on em. Someone let me know if i am wrong.
As for them being "cartoonish" not the word i would use. Yes i agree they are "off" from what i am used to but wouldn't say cartoonish.
And the dead dwarf with two hammers. Who is going to be the first to convert a living version of him before he became skellie? Come on, we all know someone does. :-)

Momo, any chance you have any other dwarf minis from various manufacturers to show for size comparison?

Keep up the good work.

Grimm

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 12:45:21 AM »
I like your painting style, very smooth painting and subtle highlights; I love dwarves and you have done them justice.

Great stuff,
 Damien

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 01:09:27 AM »

Lovely work! 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 08:30:12 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. 

Grimm, most of the other dwarfs I have are LotR, which are significantly smaller than most lines anyway.  I'll have a hunt around and see if I can get a photo, but the Stonehaven minis are pretty big (I'll do some size measurements later on today).

Couple of things I'm very happy with, couple I'm not.  The armour recipe I found on t'internet, and is based with orange.  You build up alternating layers of flesh wash and drybrushed silver (starting with the darkest and building up to lighter).   I'll be using the recipe again.

Blond/e hair is a standard recipe of GW Snakebite Leather, then 50/50 with Bleached Bone, then pure Bleached Bone.   Likey, but who knows what the GW colours are called now  ;D.

Not happy with the width of the rogue's face, and the beards on the fallen king and miner are not quite what I had hoped for.  I think the necromancer's blade needs to be a blended ice-blue or purple.

I made the mistake of searching for other painted versions, and if you google "Stonehaven Dwarfs", there are some images of truly stunning paintjobs that someone has done.  Have a look, they're amazing.  I was sad for an hour or so :( buy happy with my dwarfies now :D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
Nice work!!

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 05:57:20 PM »
Momo, any chance you have any other dwarf minis from various manufacturers to show for size comparison?
I'll second that, so thanx in advance!

Nice dwarves and even nicer painting. Like it! From the picture it seems the are rather smaller than usual, actually. I especially like the hammers from the "very slim faced" dwarf. Very rusty look, quite cool.

best wishes and thanx for sharing!
DK

best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: Stonehaven dwarfs painted - comparison added
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 08:32:09 PM »
The recipe for the rusty armour and weapons is a couple of posts up the page Drachenklinge.  First time using it, and I think it will become a standard for me.

It's getting on for wine o'clock :D, so here's a quick and dirty snap of some other dwarfs for comparison.

The Vendel dwarfs are pretty tall, but you're right.  The Stonehaven mini is close height-wise to the LotR dwarf.

Left to right: Early 2000s GW plastic, Stonehaven mini, Vendel, Current GW LotR.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:35:45 PM by Momotaro »

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Re: Stonehaven dwarfs painted - comparison shot added
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 04:53:01 AM »
Really like that Stonehaven dwarf in the group shot! Great sculpt and great painting.

Damien