Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:31:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some Pulp Aviators (photos!)  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Some Pulp Aviators (photos!)
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:53:34 AM »
Got a few photos this afternoon of my recently completed Pulp Figures aviators. These are basically the first 28mm stuff I've ever done; I've been a 15mm gamer up to now!

The full set is on flickr, but I thought I'd post a few favourites here.

A Man and His Dog:

A Dashing PIlot:

Possible Air Pirates!

A Charming Aviatrix:

Do check out the full set on my Flickr account - there's larger versions of all of them!

I forgot one of the cardinal rules of macro photography when I shot these: You Can Never Have Enough Light. Ever. As a result, most of them are darker than I'd like despite careful tweaking afterward in the GIMP. They'll do, however.

These are all Pulp Figures 28mm, basically all of PHP-11, -12 and -13 - "Buzz Barker's Island Hoppers" and both "Gyro Raider" packs.

Comments, critiques and painting suggestions welcome! Enjoy!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:31:15 AM »
How the deuce did I miss these? I've ordered from Pulp loads of times and I'm sure I've never seen any of these before. They are just what I need. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Bit dark to see, as you said, but they look good as far as I can tell. As for suggestions, the only thing I would venture is that they would look even better if you did a little more with the bases. Some nice groundwork can really improve the look of a figure, unfortunately it's probably the least interesting and most tedious part of doing a figure.

Keep them coming. As these are your first big boys, it will be interesting to see how you progress as time goes by and you really hit your 28mm stride.

"Tweaking the Gimp?" What you get up to behind the privacy of closed doors is really no concern of your fellow Lead Adventurers, my friend. Don't ask, don't tell is the policy here, old thing.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Some Pulp Aviators (photos!)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:50:53 AM »
Quote from: "Wirelizard"
A Man and His Dog:

lovely choice of minis which Plynkes ir´s right in evying you. Your painting shows promise. The difference between painting 15mm and 28 is that you can use brighter colours (colours realistically get more muted as you scale them down) and stages between hilites and shades should be more gradual, i.e more layers.

On a side: I consider myself a little of an authority on 28mm dogs but this one is new to me. Are you sure it should not be 'A Man And His Goat'?

I forgot one of the cardinal rules of macro photography when I shot these: You Can Never Have Enough Light. Ever. As a result, most of them are darker than I'd like despite careful tweaking afterward in the GIMP. They'll do, however.

?

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:41:13 AM »
Quote from: "hammershield"

On a side: I consider myself a little of an authority on 28mm dogs but this one is new to me. Are you sure it should not be 'A Man And His Goat'?

Bob Murch of Pulp Figures claims it's a dog, and he sculpted it, so I guess he's the expert. You're not the first person to ask if it's a goat, though.  :)  Perhaps a more distinctly dog-like paintjob is in order.

The GIMP is the free software version of Photoshop, basically - a photo-editing & art program.

I'm considering a bit of extra work on the bases, but I also want to leave them as generic as possible - a great greenery-covered base looks a bit odd inside an airship or something. I've got a batch of Copplestone safari hunters that'll get the full fancy-base treatment, though.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:53:11 AM »
That is a good point about the bases. I tend to prefer a flashier base, even if it looks out of place sometimes, but I get where you're coming from with that.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »
8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 01:26:30 AM »

Bob Murch of Pulp Figures claims it's a dog, and he sculpted it, so I guess he's the expert. You're not the first person to ask if it's a goat, though.  :)  Perhaps a more distinctly dog-like paintjob is in order.

Bob's own paint job is much more doglike:

http://www.pulpfigures.com/catcode.php?range=Personalities&code=PHP&number=11&custID=64622221207272176
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 04:07:39 AM »
A Man and His Dog:

Are you sure it should not be 'A Man And His Goat'?

?

Ah, Brian. Told you it was a goat.

(Wirelizard is my older brother and we both game together in Victoria, BC. My cultists from Pulp Figures are almost painted.)

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 08:25:07 AM »
Nice painting...well done.
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.