Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:05:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690999
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mutants and death ray guns  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Mutants and death ray guns
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 02:32:53 PM »
People who roast games after flipping thru the rulebook make me angry. Play a couple dozen games and make a judgement then. A skirmish game is intended for fast/fun play and it's not unusual to see lots of fast/fun rules...no doubt developed more for player enjoyment than product sales. And come on! You expect a game called 'Mutants And Death Ray Guns' to be the new holy grail of gaming? It's gonna be a fast/fun game as the title would suggest.

I may have to buy it now...as people who defend games they have never played make me angry as well... :D

Offline dusser

• Librarian
    • http://hodgepodgelodger.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 03:20:13 AM »
Are these points valid? I was contemplating getting the print version this weekend and scraping my LotOW conversion, so I really hope the opinion in this thread is off the mark.

Some of this guy's gripes could be said to be technically correct, but substansively off the mark.  Before I go into that I want to state that Andrea, the author, is an extremely active poster to the Song of Blades and Heroes Yahoo group.  He is always eager for suggestings and constructive criticism.  If this guy had posted his gripes on the yahoo group he would have had clear answers to his complaints and any glitches he found would be fixed.  That's the other thing about Andrea, he posts free rules updates to correct any anommolies or reflect any changes in the evolution of his system.  English is a second language to Andrea and from what I gather he depends on volunteers to translate into other languages, such as Spanish or French.  So to basicly summarize my little sermon, Mutants and Death Ray guns is an $8 PDF investment with an unprecidented level of support for the game including near continuous access to the author and playtesters.

Now on to some of the particular gripes of the reviewer referenced.

Is the writting unclear?  Yes, partly.  It takes a carefull read, particularly of the faction descriptions.  The main rules section is pretty clear, but then again I am already familiar with them.

Purity Squad annomolies?  I think there might be a discrepancy in the rules about the number of equipment rolls allowed, and the example does not seem to match up.  However, a simple post to the Yahoo group will clarify this, it does not ruin the game.  Incidentally, in MDRG, gaining more items is a key to survival.  Loosing a pure human (who has rather weak stats anyway) and gaining more equipment is a benefit in my opinion.

Are all the scenarios alike?  In the sense that there is an attacker and a defender, yes.  Some are very similar on the surface, a fight over control of a well and a fight for control of an orchard are pretty similar, but the resources gained for the campaign are different.  There is also a scenario that takes place in an installation that might have it's own defenses and in other areas with unique hazards.

Does all of the losing side die in the scenario aftermath?  No, only those abandoned on the field of battle.  The games in a campaign are not meant to be fought to the death, afterall, you are fighting primarily to gain the resources for survival.  Any model that flees the board survives, those that went down on the losing side die, and those that went down on the winning side may die, be out a game, be penalized or be perfectly fine.

The winning side gets an advance for only one model?  Yes, but there are several types of advances to choose from.  This can be a mutation, skill, improved quality or combat, equipment or even a new member for the warband.  Any of these advances, even for one model, is quite a benefit for the winning warband. It is a question of game balance, anymore would make the winner much too powerful too fast.  Not having played the game, the reviewer obviously envisioned this to be a weak gain.

I hope this helps lay your doubts to rest, I highly recommend the game and all of the Ganesha game products.  Hey, you were going to start basically from scratch anyway, so anything that troubles you about the rules can easily be tweeked.

David

Offline ganesha games

• Schoolboy
    • http://ganeshagames.blogspot.com
Mutants and Death Ray Guns-reply to harsh comments
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 04:00:07 PM »
Thanks for defending my game and understanding its philosophy. I replied to the harsh comments on the RPG.net forum offering a refund and also thanking the author of the post for catching a mistake in the rules (the example on p.5 is wrong-- errata just published on the yahoo group).

The guy didn't know that I offer free updates of the games. In any case, his reactions seemed excessive. And I truly don't understand this idea that stuff should be free, I think the internet is spoiling people into thinking that information or the creative work of others, including the many illustrations in a rulebook, each accounting for 1 or 2 hours of work, should be free. Tonight I'll go to the movies to watch Iron Man and if they don't let me in for free I'll bump my feet on the ground real hard.

Andrea

Offline ganesha games

• Schoolboy
Mutants and Death Ray Guns-reply to harsh comments
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 04:03:36 PM »
By the way, if you bought it and want the updated PDF with the corrected page 5, just drop me a mail at andreasfiligoi@gmail.com

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 05:24:48 PM »
Good to see you here Andrea.  Welcome to LAF.

Rodney

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 06:59:18 PM »
Hi Andrea, this is Juan here  :wink:
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 07:01:37 PM »
Hi Andrea! Looking forward to picking up MDRG!

Also, he's far to modest to mention it here, but Song of Blades and Heroes got nominated for an Origins Award for best miniature game of the year, so congratulations to him and best of luck in the final round!

Offline ganesha games

• Schoolboy
Mutants and Death Ray Guns
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 10:01:36 PM »
Thanks! Hi everybody, I was frequently reading this forum but not posting.
Yes it seems likely that I'll be at Origins to run a few demo games and hopefully sell enough books to make up for the airplane ticket :-)

I think I'll focus on SBH there as it is nominated and I really need to push it... the other competitors are much bigger and so they'll get +1 in hand-to-Hand combat... I'll have to count on my Ambush bonus :-)
A

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 10:09:46 PM »
Try to triple their result and go for the Gruesome Kill, Andrea!  :lol: