Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:04:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Richard III, The Return of the King, Michael Perry-style  (Read 6650 times)

Offline Welf VIII.

• Librarian
Re: Richard III, The Return of the King, Michael Perry-style
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 11:15:23 PM »
One could have expected a bit of more historical accurary from the Perrys though... the mini doesn't have the scoliosis wrecked back, for instance. /sarcasm.

By the way, are there any online sources about the king as a warrior, how did he fare on the battlefield before his demise?

Well, during his final and fatal charge at Bosworth he is said to have killed Henry Tudor's standard bearer Sir William Brandon and unhorsed his champion John Cheney. If we assume that both opponents had been chosen for their tasks due to their exceptional fighting skills, we might conclude Richard III was a very capable fighter.

PS: Richard of York was his father, killed at the battle of Wakefield in 1460, while his grandfather was Richard of Conisburgh, the Earl of Cambridge, who was beheaded for high treason on the orders of Henry V.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 11:22:10 PM »
He was King of England for goodness sake. Re-inter his remains at Westminster Abbey.

+1, though if it was his wish to be buried in York that would be OK too.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 11:31:55 PM »
Well you could bury him under the model village at Bourton on the Water then/ I'm sure it would prop up flagging revenues and wargamers and history buffs, the people most likely to visit, usually love a good model village.

Leave Bourton on the Water alone! It's already a thriving tourist trap and it does have a nice model shop! :o
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 11:52:15 PM »
... Richard of York was his father, killed at the battle of Wakefield in 1460, while his grandfather was Richard of Conisburgh, the Earl of Cambridge, who was beheaded for high treason on the orders of Henry V.

Ooops my mistake. It was of course Richard of Conisburgh's brother who was Duke of York at that point.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »
TBH I haven't much enthusiasm around here for a burial!  He did visit Gloucester and issue the city with a charter.....

Gloucester Cathedral already boasts the remains of Edward II and William I's oldest son....

Remains found undernearth a car park are those of Richard III it has been confirmed - but they probably won't be coming to Gloucester.

The murdered king was a former Duke of Gloucester and some people have argued that his remains should be interred at Gloucester Cathedral, where Edward II is also interred.

However, after the Univserity of Leicester said today that DNA identified in bones dug up in Leicester matched his descendents, the remains are set to be interred at that city's Cathedral.

Although Richard III was killed in the Battle of Bosworth in 1485 and buried at Leicester's Grey Friars monastery, he had strong links with Gloucester as well as being its Duke.

He gave Gloucester the Royal Charter and his coat of arms is on St Michael's Tower.

Gloucester MP Richard Graham spoke up for bringing the remains back to Gloucester if they proved to be the monarch's, and Cathedral lay clerk and city councillor Sebastian Field agreed.

"The chances appear to be fairly slim now," said Councillor Field (LD, Kingsholm and Wotton). "I'm a massive fan of Richard III, in fact my whole family is.

"I'm aware there has been a campaign to bring the remains here but as has been said before, possession appears to be nine tenths of the law. I have written to Richard Graham about it and he agrees with me that it will be quite hard to do this."

As for this:
"I'm a massive fan of Richard III, in fact my whole family is."
  Worrying!!!!!  o_o

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 08:17:58 AM »
I find it refreshing change to municipal leaders who take Napoleon, Donald Trump  Mayor Daley and Rudolph Giuliani as their muses.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Bosch

• Bookworm
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 12:30:54 AM »
Well, during his final and fatal charge at Bosworth he is said to have killed Henry Tudor's standard bearer Sir William Brandon and unhorsed his champion John Cheney. If we assume that both opponents had been chosen for their tasks due to their exceptional fighting skills, we might conclude Richard III was a very capable fighter.

Despite having "girlie-arms"....