Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:16:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690472
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The livery of Humphrey stafford?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Berg

• Assistant
The livery of Humphrey stafford?
« on: August 31, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »
I am getting a bit confused about Wotr livery colours and i was hoping someone could help me with a quick question.

The Duke of Buckinghams livery is described as "sable over gules" and if i understand correcly this means black on the right and red on the left of the livery coat. There is a colour drawing of this coat on the back of the Perry Wotr-box but with red on the right side and black on the left, am i missing something?

In short should paint the livery coat on the miniatures right side black or red?

Regards
Johan
"Don't dance in darkness
You may stumble and you're sure to fall"

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
Re: The livery of Humphrey stafford?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:41:09 PM »
The Black is on the right. It just looks like the left, coz you're looking at it. If you were wearing it, it would be on the right.

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 11:21:14 PM »
Its meant to be black on the right hand side

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 02:30:37 AM »
Yes, 'right' corresponds to 'dexter', which is right as seen by the wearer of the arms (as opposed to 'sinister', left as seen by the wearer).

Heraldic emblazoning follows a strict set of rules that all stem back from the actual use of shields and surcoats.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Berg

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 09:37:29 AM »
Thanks for the help!

The Buckingham livery coat on the back of the perry wotr box seems to be the wrong way around as the badge should be on the left side?

Regards
Johan

Offline Osmoses

• Scientist
    • Tenka Fubu: Sengoku Jidai 'blog
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 10:06:38 AM »
It looks like they've just got the colours the wrong way round on the Stafford picture. All the others follow the usual rule, and if Stafford's colours were reversed to better show the badge, then they would have done it with Fauconberg too. So I think it's just an error.

Offline UbiqueMatt

• Bookworm
    • Ubique
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 12:02:19 PM »
Here's another image relating to Buckingham. Note the Stafford knot picked out with studs (right on the door along the central band protected by wire) on the original medieval gate house door at Maxstoke castle:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:13:21 PM by UbiqueMatt »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 02:58:03 PM »
Livery colours were neither fixed, nor subject to the rules of heraldry. The tradition of wearing blazer badges on the left breast (close to the heart), stems from liveries... but larger central badges were common too.

"Sable over gules" would refer to the livery standard. All the images I've seen reconstructing Buckingham's livery jackets have red on the wearer's left and black on his right, as did the badge used without permission by Buckingham Town Council in 1566. More recent badges derived from the livery (Buckinghamshire, Aylesbury F.C. etc) routinely reverse the colours each time they are re-imagined for a new use.

The white swan, the knot and waterwheel are all badges associated with the family. There is a train of thought that each badge was attached to a specific title held within the family, but were hereditary. So for argument's sake, the 'Duke' had the Swan, his eldest as Lord Stafford had the Knot and perhaps the second son as Lord Somewhere Else had the wheel. Only if an individual possessed all of the family titles did they all appear on his household standard. It would certainly explain why some nobles bore a single badge, while others had two, or in the case of one of the Percy's four.

This could extend to the men raised from the lands associated with the titles, so men from the duchy marched under the Swan, men from the Manor of Stafford under the Knot and so on.

Nothing to prove this of course, but it does make a certain sense of why some badges were used and others were not at various times.