Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vampires in VSF gaming  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Vampires in VSF gaming
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:56:17 PM »
Not as in Gothic horror in a different physical environment for skirmish gaming but as in a  "faction" for campaigns, battles, on Mars/Venus/ etc.

This thought was inspired by a throwaway side comment on a Gothic Horror thread.

I literally had the thought minutes ago, I have not thought it through in any form/detail, and currently have no idea of how to implement such a thing.

Given the imagination power and game experience of LAF I thought I would throw it out before leaving for church followed by lunch at an Indian restaurant with family and friends.  I won't be able to give it much thought before this evening but in the mean time would you bat it around for a bit?

Basically I do have a few thoughts:

Majority of the forces/faction would NOT be vampires/Werewolves/Created Monsters  for logistical and practical gaming reasons. The first two would certainly have "supporting troop attrition" problems.

The balance of monster ability and game scale (platoons/companies of of prepared/equipped troops) might find individual monsters less than invulnerable.

More after I get back home.

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: Vampires in VSF gaming
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:09:59 PM »
That's funny to see you talking about - I am starting a campaign later this summer (after the gaming group finishes up getting ready for a painted armies only Warhammer tournament) for VSF Fubar that one of the gentleman wants to base his army off the villian in the movie version of League of Extraordinary Gentleman combined with Dracula and the first Hellboy villians.  The concept isn't really VSF on its own, but the clockwork German and such can certainly be worked in.  We are looking at standard troops, but powerful characters - which is fine, as we kind of do that anyway.  Heroes need to be heroic, dammit!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 07:04:54 PM »
I think I would address the topic in a similar way as done in WWWII; the supernatural/occult as support for 'normal' factions, as 'secret weapons' or such.

Somehow the idea of full armies of werewolves or vampires/minions seem a bit too 'out of the closet' compared to the traditional horror traditions of secrecy above all.

Of course you could postulate a world where the supernatural populations have grown to a level of confidence where they seek to finally overthrow humanity and assume control of the earth - it's just a matter of taste and how far you and your gaming companions can agree to take it.  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:55:38 PM »
You could of course have the Vampires as an alien species.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:48:41 PM »
It would be a hilarious twist if vampires were interested in Mars because the Martians have especially delicious blood. They could be vampire junk food or vampire liqour or something similarly harmful or exotic!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 11:36:21 PM »
It would be a hilarious twist if vampires were interested in Mars because the Martians have especially delicious blood. They could be vampire junk food or vampire liqour or something similarly harmful or exotic!

I think something like this (why go to Mars/Venus when we have such fine 'cattle' here on Earth?",  "Better stock Count,") mixed with a cultic following ("They are the true 'Gods' - immortal, yada-yada-yada") mixed with VSF inventions by a mind with the learning of 100's of years.  A Utopia of/for Evil.

Gracias,

Glenn