Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Troubles assembling Warlord Infantry  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Troubles assembling Warlord Infantry
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
Hi!

Just recieved my boxes of ECW royalist infantry and cavalry and... i'm having LOTS of problems on assembling them! The hands holding the rifles seem to be all coupled, so they don't have a human pose unless you find the right counterpart... am i the only one here with this problem?

cheers
Jack

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
Re: Troubles assembling Warlord Infantry
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 04:26:16 PM »
I assembled three or four boxes of these, and didn't have a problem.

I used solvent cement. I would apply a coat to both surfaces, then wait for 20-30 seconds before assembly. The layer of melted plastic formed on the two joining surfaces allows for slight mis-matches by acting as a filler. Some times, a second coat of solvent was necessary. I used to use this technique a lot back when I was building plastic scale models, and it seemed to work just as well on these.

Hope this helps,

M
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 04:29:26 PM »
very interesting. do you have any link to a (maybe free shipping) store to buy it? apparently in Milan is quite impossible to find it, i looked for it almost everywhere.

former user

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »
Ciao

I always use this one
http://www.ebay.de/itm/17-62-100ml-UHU-plast-special-34ml-Modellbau-Plastikkleber-glasklar-/150974290111?pt=Bastelwerkzeuge_klebstoffe&hash=item2326c4d8bf
but revell should do it too
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Revell-39604-Contacta-Professional-Plastikkleber-Flasche-25g-Modellbau-/200772472702?pt=Bastelwerkzeuge_klebstoffe&hash=item2ebef8cf7e
what were You using?

Anyway, it has always been my experience that for weapons held with both hands there is no other solution than pairing the arms.
In an absence of numbered parts or an assembly advice, the pairs are alway opposite on the sprue.
I usually glue the ensemble first and fit it to the torso when the joint is still a bit soft to allow for a little bit of shifting.

Don't tell me You never glued plastic before?

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:31:05 PM »
Yeah, you have to pair the arms up for these figs to work. You can swap some of the pike/shot figures over -- obviously the armoured ones are pike and the ones with bandoliers are shot but some of the poses can work for either.

You can also swap the arms/bodies from the firelock companies.

If you buy the horse, you get loads of spare right arms; coupled with the marching left arm, you can give figures drawn swords or pistols.

You can also alter some of the arms to be holding the musket stands in place.

The melty-plastic glue is very good for this. I assemble them by putting it on the shoulder and the arm, give it a few seconds to soften things and then push the parts together. When I've got the arms posed right, drip a small amount of the glue into the palm of the left hand and push it onto the musket. This is easier if you get the dispensers with a metal needle nozzle on them :-)

I love assembling these figures. The only thing I really struggled with is getting the metal hats to stay on the figures; worked out in the end that the dimples in the hats are too shallow and you need to cut down the head a bit to leave a flat surface to glue to.

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 11:13:51 PM »
I have assembled heaps of these figures. They look great when painted but are a bugger to assemble the musketeers. It really is a false claim the these figures are "multi pose". The only real option you have is what type of hat to wear.

A bit more planning and they could have cast the musketeers in one cast or at least easier than how they did it.

Cheers
Fuzzy
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »
very interesting. do you have any link to a (maybe free shipping) store to buy it? apparently in Milan is quite impossible to find it, i looked for it almost everywhere.

Well, I actually use a one to one mixture of dichloromethane and toluene, not a proprietary modelling product. Find a friendly chemist or spray painter and see if they can help.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:33:07 PM »
I have assembled heaps of these figures. They look great when painted but are a bugger to assemble the musketeers. It really is a false claim the these figures are "multi pose". The only real option you have is what type of hat to wear.

A bit more planning and they could have cast the musketeers in one cast or at least easier than how they did it.

Cheers
Fuzzy

Well, I found I could place the arms in sufficiently different positions to make the troops look different. Especially those with muskets at "present", just the fact that all the muzzles don't point exactly the same way makes a difference.

But I take your point - they aren't THAT multipose, are they? The pikemen are better.

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »

Jack,

the model shop in via Tito Livio (5 minutes away from your home) has buckets of this kind of glue! lol

Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:30:04 AM »
Did that friendly chemist explain to you that both those chemicals are carcinogens!

From another friendly chemist  ;)

Cheers
Fuzzy.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:42:14 AM »
Did that friendly chemist explain to you that both those chemicals are carcinogens!

From another friendly chemist  ;)

Cheers
Fuzzy.

Yes I did explain that to myself. I probably have a COSHH assessment somewhere showing that even if I assembled about half a million of them I couldn't get near the WEL for either substance ;)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 08:52:49 AM »
thanks guys for your advices! I actually found a glue like this in my home, and actually it works spendidely. Bad smell, though.

I've assembled a good number of figures, and it's much easier. Still, i needed to do some heavy modifications. But with that glue all the work is much faster. :)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 09:04:46 AM »
Quote from: Sangennaru link=topic=50969.msg599034#msg599034 date=136195Bad smell, though.

[/quote
this is what you want ;)

EMA Plastic Weld  (can't be shipped outside the UK, so you will have to look for an Italian seller)

EMA LINK
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »
Yes I did explain that to myself. I probably have a COSHH assessment somewhere showing that even if I assembled about half a million of them I couldn't get near the WEL for either substance

:D. Well then that's a target to aim for!  Figure scale 1:1

Fuzzy.