Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:49:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Paddlesteamer  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
Paddlesteamer
« on: February 24, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »
Ok,

In a moment of madness when we were gaming last week a discussion took place about paddlesteamers on the Mississippi. Any one any bright ideas for plans etc to help me make one?
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Paddlesteamer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:46:58 PM »
There was a feature on one in an old Wargames Illustrated. It was a large model with full interiors.  Can't remember how long ago it was  though.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:59:19 PM »
While not identical - the Colonial section is filled with hand-made boats of all sorts, similar construction methods etc.  Just need to make them a bit more retro with paddles etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 07:51:15 AM »

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
I have had a discussion about riverboats with Matt over at Laser Dreamworks. I have forwarded on a lot of material to him and its certainly on his radar to produce one commercially. The biggest issue is what exactly to produce. You have side-wheelers and stern-wheelers with the stern-wheelers being the most common. Passenger riverboats, which is actually what we usually see in the movies, tend to be quite large while the freight plus passenger versions tend to be a bit small. There are not commercial kits out there for a riverboat right now, but there is an old plastic one by Lindbergh that would serve as a good basis if you want to scratchbuild one.
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 11:17:33 PM »
As with all laser-cut stuff...just pick one...build it, and judge the reception.  Then add more options if people like them.  It would actually be much easier than most of his LDW stuff, because it would have a very shallow/small hull section, compared to the sail ships.  I'm interested, but I also know LDW is not "cheap" shall we say! :D

Offline pinny

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:32:48 AM »
Riviresco does a paper/cardboard one

http://www.tin-soldier.com/colonial/rivergunboat.html

Cheap Cheap

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 07:05:13 AM »
Greetings.  I built three 28mm scale river paddlewheelers and the Hunley for a ACW scenario where the Union attacks a Confederate shipyard where the Hunley is being completed, to prevent it from being launched.  I do not have pictures of the largest riverboat (Allegheny) , but the two smaller ones are seen below.

The roofs and upper decks all lift off to place figures inside.

Pictures of the Edwin Stokes (steamer) and the Intrepid (tinclad) are attached.  I sketched plans and used a band saw to cut the hull/deck pieces for all three.  Ask if you have any questions about the construction/features.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:07:24 AM by ffrum »

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 01:53:44 PM »
I built three 28mm scale river paddlewheelers

Thanks - they have given me some ideas

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 05:45:35 PM »
Just for reference, you can buy plans of paddlesteamers. Probably the best site is Taubman. http://www.taubmansonline.com/
When you get to the site select plans from the menu on the left. At the next screen select: Steam Tugs, River Boats, Stern Wheelers, Paddle Boats (which is the second selection that contains paddlewheelers, if you select the first one you will also get diesel tugboats).
Now you can page through the list of riverboats and get an idea of the size and different kinds that existed. Riverboats varied in size a lot. I would recommend the Vega on the small end 104' long, the Chaperon 121' long, the City of Monroe 150' long and the Far West (which supplied General Custer's campaign) at 190'long. These would be considered small as the big passenger riverboats could range up to 400' in length.

And here is an excellent little article on riverboats in general: http://www.johnlegry.com/mod_riverboat.htm

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 01:03:52 AM »
Deedles,
 In case you have the motivation to go even further into the steamboat era, I am offering these references:

The Mississippi Steamboat Era In Historic Photographs, Natchez to New Orleans 1870-1920, John W. Gandy and Thomas Gandy ISBN 0-486-25260-4

Portraits of the Riverboats,  Willian C. Davis  ISBN 1-57145-493-4

Warships and Naval Battles of the Civil War, Tony gibbons  ISBN0-8317-9301-5

I have used these (and other) sources for designs for the ACW period steamboats and warships I have built.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »
Great stuff  :D

Love those stern wheelers Curt  :-*

I would think that down-loadable paper kit that Pinny posted would make a great set of plans for a "sturdier" build.  8)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 08:32:46 PM »
Thanks Guys.some great resources there.

Malamute
The steamer was called "Keystone" and was over a metre long. A fine piece of work. I can dig out the relevant issue if anyone needs it.

Bezzo.. now that is the kind of madness that was being talked about. if you can link to it it would great
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:35:14 PM by Deedles »

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 08:50:07 PM »
I know what's going to happen.....

Everyone will say they are far too expensive, but I defy anyone to say that there is not enough variation, try Grand Manner, see this link;
http://www.grandmanner.co.uk/28mm_Middle_East__Sudan--category--9.html

Tony
(NB. I was lucky enough to be involved with the design and building of the original models).

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 09:54:13 PM »
Those are great models! I have no problem with the pricing on those, that's a lot of work and a lot of resin. My only issue with them in the context of the old west is that they are not really representative of American stern and side wheelers, although that wouldn't keep me from using them as such.

I have talked Laser Dreamworks and laser cut wood riverboats are going to run in the $150 - $250 range. I think I'm still going to pursue this I have plans for 4 different stern and side wheelers on the way.