Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:49:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for Gondor buildings blueprints  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Looking for Gondor buildings blueprints
« on: February 25, 2013, 02:39:38 PM »
Hello everyone

I've been trying to find blueprints for some buildings in a Gondorian style but have been unable to locate anything like it. You know the good old "copy-cut out-glue on styrofoam" kind of blueprints. Or maybe a good "how to build" link. As you might have guessed I would like to build some houses for my Ithilien thread. I have to admit I do like the GW style of buildings for LotR, but have not been able to find any links. Maybe I'm just too blind to see.

Any help would be appreciated.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Re: Looking for Gondor buildings blueprints
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:44:09 PM »
Hello everyone

I've been trying to find blueprints for some buildings in a Gondorian style but have been unable to locate anything like it. You know the good old "copy-cut out-glue on styrofoam" kind of blueprints. Or maybe a good "how to build" link. As you might have guessed I would like to build some houses for my Ithilien thread. I have to admit I do like the GW style of buildings for LotR, but have not been able to find any links. Maybe I'm just too blind to see.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean, if you don't mean the ones in the differetn GW supplements?

Surely there are many and varied suggestions within their books?!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
I would think that Byzantine architecture would go a long way for that purpose. Have no links to give, sorry, but maybe you can find some illustrations/drawings that can be resized to fit the bill.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean, if you don't mean the ones in the differetn GW supplements?

Surely there are many and varied suggestions within their books?!

That's what I thought. Yet those are of a very basic design that lacks any specific details. But the general idea was in that direction. I thought I had seen some as downloads on the GW homepage but unfortuantely either I was mistaken or they no longer support any downloads on their page.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »
That's what I thought. Yet those are of a very basic design that lacks any specific details. But the general idea was in that direction. I thought I had seen some as downloads on the GW homepage but unfortuantely either I was mistaken or they no longer support any downloads on their page.

GW took most - if not all- of the LOTR articles they had online down years ago.  :?

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 05:10:42 PM »
A pity. I've always liked the fluff they had on their homepage - my main reason to visit it once in a while. Not so any more, I guess.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 06:33:23 PM »
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 07:12:21 PM »
Try to get a copy of the old MERPs sourcebooks, they had lots of detailed floorplans etc. for all kinds of LotR architecture styles.

Offline Limaike

• Librarian
    • Trollwood
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 10:34:52 PM »
Here is a link to the old MERP supplement for Minas Tirith. Pages 48-123 are given over to floorplans and detailed descriptions of buildings.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11913809/Minas-Tirith

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 12:02:16 PM »
Thanks for the links, guys. I'll have acloser look at them. As I am only planning on building a few smaller buildings for a specific scenario I hope I'll be done with it in a few weeks.

I just love this forum. Ask and you shall be answered.  :)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »
As I've already PMed you about this, I'll post this as an added reminder that I said I'd have a look for anything I might have!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »
As I've already PMed you about this, I'll post this as an added reminder that I said I'd have a look for anything I might have!

Thanks Red Orc.
I really like the GW buildings and the PJ design from the movies. It fits so well with the notion of a highly advanced cutlure slowly decaying over the years. And after my last battle report on my Ithilien thread this feeling needs to be put more into focus.  :D

Online Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »
I think I have most of the articles from the old GW website as word documents, PM me if you are interested in any and I can email them to you.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
I'm currently looking through my old BGME mags, but I don't have a complete set.

Right, checked all the BGME mags I have, and the sourcebooks I own. Rohan houses, Haradrim camps, hedgerows in the Shire; these I have. No Gondor buildings yet. Still have a small pile of White Dwarfs from c2005-2010 to go.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »
The Last Alliance ( http:www.thelastalliance.com ) used to have plenty of Gondor buildings on the old site, a lot explaining how to carve them in blue foam.  But it's been a shadow of its former glory since it was revived after a couple of quiet years, and all the old articles are missing IIRC.  You could try asking folks there if they have any of the old articles kicking around.

The old supplements are not much use - the RotK rulebook and Siege of Gondor both had Gondorian houses, but no building guides.  Barad Anor in A Shadow in the East isn't really in the Gondorian style (although if you like it, similar plans exist for Dol Guldur in Fall of the Necromancer).

Page 270 in the War of the Ring Rulebook has a closeup of the Fall of Osgiliath table, which has a lot of good buildings for inspiration.  I do get the impression that some of the domes, windows and arches may be from Hirst Arts moulds (indeed, the whole "blocks of masonry" feel of the construction lends itself well to building with HA).  GW have definitely used the moulds in some of their photos, without any attribution.  IIRC, the ruins in The Ruin of Arnor supplement are built from Hirst Arts