Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:10:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691478
  • Total Topics: 118393
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chris Peerīs "By The Sword"  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
Chris Peerīs "By The Sword"
« on: February 13, 2013, 08:59:49 PM »
Does someone of you play or own these rules? How are they? I was unable to find any detailled information in the net  :?

Iīm a big fan of Peerīs "In The Heart of Africa", so if the rules are similar (fast and easy ;)) but set in the medieval era I would like to give it a try, but I donīt want to buy it until I know how they are...Do you know if in the rules the minis are single based, and if the manual has army lists?

I saw that it has a supplement called "War in el Dorado"...Is that the same as "El Dorado" from the Foundry Compendium (Which I happily own ;)) or is it a sort of "expanded version" of it?  

Thanks!

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
Re: Chris Peerīs "By The Sword"
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »
I own the rules but have not played them yet.  Figures are individually based and organized into units with 50 to 60 figures per player.  Troops are defined by several characteristics (training, morale, etc) and weapons have classes (thrusting, armor-defeating, etc).  Heroes and leaders (knights) lead troops who may otherwise just stand and watch the fight rather than get their hands dirty.  There are 2 types of turn sequence -- you move a unit, I move a unit or by random dice roll according to the training of the unit.  All in all they are more involved mechanic-wise than his other games (I have his Africa, Ancients and American West rules) and provide no army lists (none are needed, really.)  Games concentrate on infantry and cavalry with little or no use for artillery.  The rules seem adaptable for most pre-gunpowder periods and nations (like Asia as well as the Middle East and Europe).

Hope this helps.
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:24:51 AM »
Thanks Doctor Pete, that helped!
It looks then closer to "A Good Day To Die" than to "In The Heart of Africa" it seems...
Is there a point system or something like that to build your army? I missed it in "A Good Day To Die".

I would like to adapt it also to the Trojan Wars, not only to medieval times, but it looks like it could work aswell (well, if there are javelin or throwing weapons...Not sure about the chariots)

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »
No point system.  It is a scenario driven set without standard "armies" as such.  The game designer says the rules are adaptable for a great many periods, so the Trojan wars should be one of them.  There are no rules for chariots that I can find but elephants are covered simply.  The designer also says they are based on some of the mechanics of A Good Day to Die! .  All throwing weapons (javelins, darts, etc) are under the class "hand-hurled" weapons.  Seems much more like a club or "friendly" rule set than a tournament set.

Pete

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 08:56:52 AM »
Thanks!
The rules seem interesting but I really miss a point system  :'( Itīs not that I play tournament-like but I enjoy a lot building up armies/bands whatsoever. Besides I think itīs a good orientation for making scenarios so you can know how valanced or unvalanced itīs going to be...
Maybe Iīd adapt In The Heart... instead of it  ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 06:53:42 PM »
I'd be interested in reading a review of these, however short, if anybody fancies that?  :)

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 01:11:27 AM »
I hesitate to write a review because I haven't actually played the game yet.  I couldn't give an honest opinion.  Perhaps someone else will come along who has experience with the game.   :-X

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »
I'd be interested in reading a review of these, however short, if anybody fancies that?  :)

Me too  ;) :D

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 12:42:37 AM »
Clearco, you have a private message.
Saludos,