Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:58:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: One Rule fits all ... ish  (Read 1602 times)

Offline geoffb

• Librarian
    • hamandjam.co.uk
One Rule fits all ... ish
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »
I'm currently working on a skirmish system that has the potential to work for many different periods with slight changes for the relevant period specific setting. Initially its for Western gunfight but one of the first other settings I'm thinking of is Pirates.
I'm assuming most people enjoy playing a number of different periods, how keen would you be to find such a suitable system or are do you prefer specific rules for differing types of games.

The closest system I can think of is Song of Blades but this is probably scaled for less figures aside unless multiple players are involved. Ie each controlling less that 6 and more probably 2 or 3 characters each. Excuse me for posting across areas but I've picked the ones that I'm most likely to look at first
I came, I saw, I went home again..

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: One Rule fits all ... ish
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »
It has already been done quite well with Brink of Battle which I would advise that you check out before starting to write your own set of rules.

http://www.brinkofbattle.com/

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2012/03/brink-of-battle-wargaming-through-ages.html

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:23:53 PM »
Anatoli,

I find that rather "Holy Grail" like.   ;)  

Seriously, I hope to try these rules out at a con someday just in case they perform as advertised.   ???   :o  

I have been war gaming, (not counting toy soldiers as a child - before 1959 - or board games - 1959'ish,) with miniatures since the early 1970's and have yet to find such a set that delivered on that promise.   :'(

Probably just the anal-retentive grognard gene I have...   ::)   ;)   lol

Edit:  BTW, I have read your review before and many of the elements I prefer in mechanics are there.  I just have this desire to play before spending money (especially since the "S" word - sequester - has been  talked about a lot in this house the last few days.)

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:38:53 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »
I usually don't like generic rule sets - lacks period flavor.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 03:59:23 AM »
I for one think that a generic set of rules with "period modules" could work and would be a nice development.

As for Brink of Battle and having it "already been done" - I say still go for it. Look at all the period specific rulesets out there for say just Napoleonics.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Gary Mitchell

• Librarian
    • Space Vixens From Mars

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »
I have my favourite rule sets that I will always use and then a new set comes along and I switch to them ,so the its been done and can never be bettered is a load of rubbish ,if you want to do it, do it and good luck .

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »
Did not intend to sound dickish, I know with myself how it is. I started thinking about a Lovecraft themed game a couple of years ago and began drafting ideas and painting miniatures until one guy following my blog just wondered if I knew about Strange Aeons... which turned out to be pretty much what I was going for.

Offline geoffb

• Librarian
    • hamandjam.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:48:48 AM »
Thanks for the comments chaps.
So far there is a system that handles combat, movement and activation.
This I believe will work for many genres.
For instance I've started on a Wild West game first so the emphasis is on ranged combat. However with a pirate game the emphasis would be at least as much on hand to hand combat as ranged. The central mechanisms would remain but the options available to the player will be quite different.

As I'm keen to see how adaptable the system can be I'm initially

going to test with Wild West, Pirates, Greek Mythology and Modern Skirmish. I have lots of playtesting ahead but I'm quite confident that it holds promise.
The emphasis is that the rules are easy to pick, won't require charts, are limited to relatively small numbers of characters but give the players options and decisions appropriate to the period. Its also on the side of simplicity and speed of play.
You won't find 15 types of muskets in this for example.

thanks
Geoff