Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:09:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697720
  • Total Topics: 118855
  • Online Today: 625
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ronin, by Osprey!  (Read 65848 times)

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Ronin, by Osprey!
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2013, 09:28:14 AM »
Is it just me, or do the swords look really odd? ???

Offline Whtknt1066

• Assistant
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2013, 05:10:09 PM »
Nope, not just you, the swords look odd to me too.  They're a little too heroic in proprtion to the minis, and they have an odd (and incorrect) taper from hilt to point on many of them.  That being said, I still like 'em, still pre-ordered them, and I'm sure ill still enjoy them.  However...any chance of the funky swords getting modified before production, Nick? They do look kinda strange.  And yeah, I am totally seeing some Seven Samurai action happening here...

Offline Evilcartoonist

• Scientist
    • Carmen's Fun Painty Time
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2013, 05:29:36 PM »
The swords look like large kitchen knives.
I hadn't noticed at first; I usually clip blades away from most of my figures and replace them with blades I hammer out myself.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2013, 05:38:57 PM »
Aye.  I think a bit of filing is in order, at least.

Still, preordered the book. :)  I haven't decided which buntai to go for yet.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »
Kev has arranged the figures for the back of the box sets, listing what they are.

http://northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=152&cat=365&page=1

Whereas I'd love you all to buy these sets, for those of you who have extensive collections already, each one of our Buntai is a starter army. This link will give you an idea of what figures you need to arrange to get playing Ronin.

Nick

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2013, 02:04:10 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered already, but how do these figs compare with Perry Japanese sizewise?

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2013, 03:40:04 PM »
The swords look fine. The figures are stylized and the swords fit the style. These are sculpted artwork not photographs and the design was clearly intentional and not due to the sculptor's lack of ability or ignorance. Sure, some may not like the style, but to say they are "wrong" or "inaccurate" is incredibly prosaic. It's like critiquing a figure from Kuniyoshi for being too pale or for the eyes being too wide. I love Saleh's style and will be picking up the figures.

Ax

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2013, 03:44:23 PM »
Completely un-samurai related, but rules related... Would you be able to convert the rules to something more Western Medieval instead. I think swashbuckling had been mentioned earlier but I'm considering some good old Technicolor knights fighting it out on the tabletop. Possibly Barons war. Weapons would translate fairly easily (leaving out firearms) and I think you could bodge the archetypes...

???
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2013, 05:57:46 PM »
The swords look fine. The figures are stylized and the swords fit the style. These are sculpted artwork not photographs and the design was clearly intentional and not due to the sculptor's lack of ability or ignorance. Sure, some may not like the style, but to say they are "wrong" or "inaccurate" is incredibly prosaic. It's like critiquing a figure from Kuniyoshi for being too pale or for the eyes being too wide. I love Saleh's style and will be picking up the figures.

Ax

With respect, that's your opinion. If they work for you, then good for you. Not to put a too fine a point to it (pun time!), they look more like curvy cricket bats than katana. I find it hard to explain as a mere style thing, as the minis otherwise look very nice and realistic.

Judging from that picture, they look inaccurate to me, and I've only seen Japanese swords in pics and movies. But even I can tell that. But that's just my opinion. It wouldn't stop me from buying the minis, they'd just require some extra filing etc. So I am not deliberately being an asshole (it just comes out that way... ;))

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »
Completely un-samurai related, but rules related... Would you be able to convert the rules to something more Western Medieval instead. I think swashbuckling had been mentioned earlier but I'm considering some good old Technicolor knights fighting it out on the tabletop. Possibly Barons war. Weapons would translate fairly easily (leaving out firearms) and I think you could bodge the archetypes...

???

Where there is a will there is a way! (People converted Saga to suit Samurai...) I don't think it would be very hard at all.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2013, 06:07:52 PM »
Axabrax: no. I don't buy it. It's not a viable expression of 'style'; not when you're sculpting characters in a specific historical context. Wide eyes and (tbh) chunky hands are still recognisable as eyes and hands. These blades are barely recognisable as the distinctive shape of katanas or wakizashis - more like pirate cutlasses or, as mentioned, triangular kitchen knives.

What's more, why don't most of the other blades in the range - nodachi especially - and the koryu scabbards follow the same stylisation?

Might be harsh, but the only excuse I'd listen to is that the triangular shape is necessary for casting and fragility problems: but other 28mm (even 15mm) ranges seem to do okay.

Edit: Verderer beat me to it...

Offline reccerat

• Schoolboy
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »
Just pre-ordered my bundle from Northstar. So looking forward to getting it on the tabletop.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2013, 08:00:50 AM »
I agree they are tapered however not to the point (get it) I would worry personally. You could snip the end to "square it off" if needed.

"but other 28mm (even 15mm) ranges seem to do okay."

Black hat are thick swords in a similar vein for just such a reason and dont get me started on the lovely perry minis they are far too thin and bent to buggery which is nigh on impossible to rectify without breaking or damamging the buggers

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »
As I will be gaming with these miniatures I would prefer the thicker swords that won't bend or get damaged.
Got paid today, so my pre-order has gone in. 8)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »
If you don't like 'em, don't buy 'em.  :?

But for those of you who do, look what I've got!!  :o

We are nearly there, the book was just a sample copy through the post, but our stock can't be too far behind, and we are filling the boxes with figures right now.

It's Great!

Nick