Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:22:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690640
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sharpe for skirmish  (Read 12667 times)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 09:00:27 AM »
The Durham-Site seems to be down. Adress: http://www.durhamschosenmen.co.uk/
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 09:26:52 AM »
What can I say, guys - this forum is really awesome! Thanks again for your replies!

By now I'm browsing through some of the mentioned rulesets. They seem to divide into two approaches: a 'realistic' one with average men and their average weapons, but a nice choice of troops (e.g. Sharpe's Skirmish) - and a more 'heroic' one, focussing on a heavy load of special rules (e.g. Black Powder Battles). Yet I don't know which to choose.
The realistic approach seems more applicable for one-off-games, which can be used getting started with a new period/new rules. Me and my friends are primarily interested in history, so maybe a chance to get us playing.
On the other hand: Yesterday I saw 'Sharpe's Gold', a quite scary episode, but I liked the somewhat 'pulpy' El Casco and his Aztec cult. This actually calls for some larger-than-life-rules telling a story, perhaps stretching over several games. But as we don't play regularly around here, I'm afraid that our nicely thought story could become messed up after one or two games.

Hm, what a decision... :cry:

So, another question to you: Which 28mm miniatures would you opt for? First to Rifles: I like the Foundry ones, although their 'assorted' pack is ridiculouly overpriced. Front Rank isn't my cup of tea. Companion miniatures seem reasonable, but I'm confused by their shop system and haven't seen the miniatures 'in the lead'. Anyone here with a close-up, perhaps?
(If those 40mm-Perry figs wouldn't call for 40mm-terrain as well, they were clearly my first choice!)
On to French/Spanish/Portuguese: Again, Foundry has a great range for the French, but the minis I've seen were on the smaller side of the 28mm-standard. They have also Portugueses, but I'm not sure about the sculpts, look a bit... gangling?
The Perries have some Voltigeurs in skirmish formation, but their uniforms are a bit too late me thinks. And greatcoats doesn't look right for a Spanish summer. :lol:
I haven't found figs to go as Spanish guerrilleros yet. Any suggestions?

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 10:37:04 AM »
I have played a couple of test games of the Too Fat Lardies skirmish rules for the period they were great fun and looked pretty good there is awrite up here of a humorous play test game that took place on Lard Island recently

http://www.nowear.se/tincommander/www/viewReport.php?retreportid=47

The rules are planned to be released at Essex Eagle where their will be a demo/participation game.

I believe that there is also a new range of figures to be released soon under the name Alban Miniatures these will initially be skirmishing rifles (sculpted by Richard Ansell - have a look at the Assault Group Austrians for an idea of his sculpting style. Although I am not certain I think that the next release planned is skirmishing Voltiguers.

Just to mention I have no connection to Alban Miniatures but do play regularly at TFL HQ.

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »

Roly Hermans
Paraparaumu, New Zealand

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 10:58:17 AM »
Quote from: "theoldschool"
Richard Clarke and his merry band that make up TheTwoFatLardies are currently working on a Napoleonic skirmish system called Sharp Practice.
I like Richard's approach to rules which is always innovative, so this one should be very interesting.
Pat

A Sharpe and Harper Figure plus some rifles are being sculpted too which look awesome to compliment the rules :mrgreen:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 10:59:41 AM »
Quote from: "the commissar"
I have played a couple of test games of the Too Fat Lardies skirmish rules for the period they were great fun and looked pretty good there is awrite up here of a humorous play test game that took place on Lard Island recently

http://www.nowear.se/tincommander/www/viewReport.php?retreportid=47

The rules are planned to be released at Essex Eagle where their will be a demo/participation game.

I believe that there is also a new range of figures to be released soon under the name Alban Miniatures these will initially be skirmishing rifles (sculpted by Richard Ansell - have a look at the Assault Group Austrians for an idea of his sculpting style. Although I am not certain I think that the next release planned is skirmishing Voltiguers.

Just to mention I have no connection to Alban Miniatures but do play regularly at TFL HQ.

Oops missed this post, yep saw the greens on Frothers and they look great

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 12:13:19 PM »
Of course - I knew I had seen them somewhere!

http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14041&start=0

For pictures of the first greens of the Rifles.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 12:58:28 PM »
Quote from: "the commissar"
Of course - I knew I had seen them somewhere!

http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14041&start=0

For pictures of the first greens of the Rifles.

They are rather frothtastic :mrgreen:

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 02:00:57 PM »
Found a Copy of the Sharpe Skirmish by the chosen men. Send me your eMail and I send you the PDF...

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 03:37:28 PM »
Many thanks, NurgleHH, but Rabbitz has already sent them to me. I'm reading now.
the commissar, thanks for the link. These Rifles look very nice, hopefully they're going to be in medium 28mm. Anyone already seen Sharpe & Harper by the same sculptor?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 03:57:32 PM »
Quote from: "Mad Doc Morris"
Many thanks, NurgleHH, but Rabbitz has already sent them to me. I'm reading now.
the commissar, thanks for the link. These Rifles look very nice, hopefully they're going to be in medium 28mm. Anyone already seen Sharpe & Harper by the same sculptor?

I have seen them somewhere but cant remember where... :twisted:  :oops:

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
The Sharpe & Harper figures are based on the books rather than the films.

There are probably pictures on the TFL yahoo group pictures - unfortunately being a computer illeterate I have never worked out how to insert pictures into a posting!

Generally I think that Tricky Dicky's Napoleonic 28mm are more slender than other manufacturers (particularly when compared against say Front Rank)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 05:55:28 PM »
psyberwyche,
for my part I haven't seen them yet. They look quite nice, based on the books, aren't they. Any thought how they turn out in the lead (compared to Foundry or Companion)?

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »
If anything like the rest of Chiltern, they will be much bigger than other ranges.