Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:33:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: diluting matt varnish?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline driller

• Scientist
diluting matt varnish?
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:02:34 AM »
I'm about to use brush on matt varnish for the first time, and I was wondering if you guys water down the stuff or brush it on right out of the bottle? I'm going to use Army Painter matt varnish.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Re: diluting matt varnish?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:16:32 AM »
I'm about to use brush on matt varnish for the first time, and I was wondering if you guys water down the stuff or brush it on right out of the bottle? I'm going to use Army Painter matt varnish.

Valejo matt, dullcote, Mr. Hobby Flat Klear, I brush it on straigth from the pot.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:10:13 AM »
cheers!

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »
I use the vallejo  brush on matte varnish.  I usually add one or two drops of vallejo thinner into it, but then I usually put on 3 to 4 coats.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 11:25:48 AM »
I use the Army Painter Warpaints "Anti-shine" matt varnish and I'm not adding water or anything to it.

You have to give the model a good coat (not too thick but noth too thin), the varnish will be sticky after a few seconds so watch out so you don't touch anything because then you risk smearing the paint! Some colors look glossy for a couple of hours before it is 100% dry. So far I have only had very good results using it, and of all brush on matt varnishes that I have used this is the best (can't get Testors here in Sweden).

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 02:40:12 PM »
When I use W&N Galleria matt, I just use a touch of flow improver if I brush it on, and some airbrush medium if I spray it. Either way I find it allows the two thin coats I prefer (and seems to work better for me!) to go on easier.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 05:55:10 PM »
I use the Army Painter Warpaints "Anti-shine" matt varnish and I'm not adding water or anything to it.

You have to give the model a good coat (not too thick but noth too thin), the varnish will be sticky after a few seconds so watch out so you don't touch anything because then you risk smearing the paint! Some colors look glossy for a couple of hours before it is 100% dry. So far I have only had very good results using it, and of all brush on matt varnishes that I have used this is the best (can't get Testors here in Sweden).

Is 1 cote enough? I hope so, because I'd rather not add a second one. I have put 2 cotes on a figure, and I have noticed very small white speckles in some of the folds of clothing and skin, when dried.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 11:04:48 PM »
If you are getting small white deposits then there are 3 possible reasons for it:

1) Too thick an application.
2) Damp weather.
3) Varnish needs a good shake as it has settled and separated.

I have never used Army Painter varnish so I am not sure if 2 and 3 are applicable.

I only use D-R Soluble Matt varnish now that the dependable Blackfriars formula changed. With D-R it is give a good shake, do a test figure, keep shaking, if test figure ok then proceed but only 3 or 4 figures at a time before giving the bottle anothe shake.

Orctrader separates some of the carrier from the bottle but I have found I don't need to do that.

I have only had 1 figure out of around 500 get the dreaded white speckle, that was because I was in a rush and applied it too thick.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »
I use Vallejo matt varnish, making sure to shake it well first. I only get white bits if I've slapped it on too thickly and it pools.
Really several thin coats should be the norm, although laziness and the small amount of time my figures are actually handled means that I tend to apply just one coat.