Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:03:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: EotD game at WMMS  (Read 11642 times)

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
Re: EotD game at WMMS
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 01:42:59 AM »
I can look into the cost of printing some up but it is not an inexpensive process. You might be better off finding a commercial printer with a large format printer that prints on sailcloth. I'll be glad to make the .pdf available to anyone interested.

I would be interested in the pdf please

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 01:44:53 AM »
Fantastic set up.

I hope you can enlighten us with a source of the buildings, and if scratch built, what sort of materials were used and where sourced.
Many thanks in advance.

I have a load of models ready to go, but little in the way of appropriate terrain...

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 12:38:35 AM »
I have another American-guy question(s).  Is the post located on the corner in front of The Shard Arms for hitching horses or does it serve some other purpose?  And If Thunderchicken is reading this or if anyone else knows, what was used to make those posts?  Thank you.  Richard

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 01:36:42 AM »
Its a bollard and its primary purpose, I believe, is to keep carriages off of the sidewalks.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 04:36:23 AM »
Thank you.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 06:58:36 AM »
Skrapwelder is right, it's a bollard. They would have been cast iron.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 07:13:38 AM »
Fabulous photos  :-*

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 02:19:21 AM »
Bollard question for Thunderchicken or anyone in the know.  I am guessing that the bollards in Thunderchicken's Victorian street scenes are scratch built.  If that is the case, please tell me what was used as the caps for the bollards.  I will have no trouble finding materials to form the shaft or the base for the bollards, but I need some help understanding what was done or what was used to make the bollard caps.  If I am incorrect and they are not scratch built but rather purchased, please tell me who sells bollards for 28mm figures/layouts.  Thank you.  Richard

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 05:53:20 AM »
Couldn't you just use plastic rod, topped with a wooden/plastic bead that is cut to form the top part? Should be cheap that way as well.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 07:23:22 AM »
I would guess that a plastic bead would do the job too; or a small sphere of green stuff?

You can pick up o guage model ones but they might be too big. Not sure if they would cut down?

http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_O_Scale_Accessories_78.html

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 02:29:46 PM »
Svennn, wonderful!  Thank you.  Richard

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2013, 07:48:51 PM »
Chaps,

Thanks again for the great comments  :)

Oodles of apologies for not replying sooner but life away from the hobby is all consuming at the moment.
Thanks to those who replied on my behalf to some of the Q's.

Right, just to answer some of the questions. Unfortunately the board wont be at Salute but I think Westwind have one that they've used at other shows.

Colin, the games went well. We just used the quick play rules to get people interested in them then we would send them over to the Figures in Comfort stand to make their purchases, we should have been on commission  ;)

As for the layout most of it is scratchbuilt by myself and Svennn, if there's any building in particular you want to know about I'm happy to post a link to the build thread. The only buildings not scratchbuilt are the church which is from Magister Militum and the red brick shops which are PMC games (signs provided by Svennn). The walls surrounding the gasworks are scratchbuilt but the walls surrounding the pump house and rear of the pub are from Hovels.

The mat was indeed generously sent to me by Skrapwelder. Mike, there was a lot of interest in it at the show and I was asked on numerous occassions where I sourced it from. You could be on to something.

The centre piece was the viaduct and I was going to post pictures of the build if it wasn't for my mobile network provider. I had all the pictures saved on my phone but it started playing up and wouldnt download them. I took it to the O2 shop and one of the assistants had a look at it for me, in the process the plum managed to reset the phone to its factory settings wiping out all my saved files, everything! I was not a happy boy as there was some great pics of my daughter on there too. Slightly my fault for not backing them up sonner. Anyway, I got the idea of the viaduct from Uti's thread here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=48788.0

I bought four low relief viaducts from Skytrex when they had quite a generous sale on:

http://www.ogauge.co.uk/p5157/smrs40a-row-of-3-open-arches/

As they are low relief they are only detailed on one side which isn't too much of a problem as the detail was easy to fill in. I built up the colums to connect the sets of arches using my usual method of embossed styrene brickwork stuck to foamed pvc. The fact that the arches are BIG casts meant they were slightly warped and it was a nightmare when it came to aligning all the pieces and sticking them together. I'll post some close ups of the viaduct over the weekend.

You can also source Overlord's fab arches from Outpost here:

http://www.outpostwargameservices.co.uk/

The stacks of crates, barrels and packages are maily from Skytrex again and the carts/wagons are from 4Ground.

As for the pics of the game itself, yep, deleted by the pranny in the O2 shop! Happy to supply his name and the address of the store if anyone wants to pay him a visit  lol

As I said, if there's anything specific you want to know about I'm happy to help.     

Don't!

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 08:08:10 AM »
Amazing feat of construction and painting.

Broad daylight is a bit harsh on this set up I think, though. I believe dark and misty would really give the White Chapel vibes. lol

I urge you to built a dark mystical transportable tent that you can build around your set up and then install gloomy light within.

My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 09:09:45 AM »
I urge you to built a dark mystical transportable tent that you can build around your set up and then install gloomy light within.

lol lol lol

(That IS a bloody clever idea, though, you Crazy Viking!)