Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:17:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689804
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193039 times)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
The Eagle has landed.

Should be bale to get them onto the board in the next week or two once Winter sport winds down for the Little Fish.

In ital thoughts are that they look good.

Looking forward to reading more session reports here too.

Excellent. Hope you and Craig can get in some games.

So it's a game to see who'll be queen bee.

I'm not sure I know what to make of this comment.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Blood on the Sands version 1.4 should have been emailed out to the current active play testers.
Ho nice!  :-*

I've already read the new stuff on my lunch time  :D and I'm very pleased by your improvements. It's very good.
The apathy, the signature moves and the changes for the campaign (munus and match events).
And of course, I'm very happy with the new Appeal to the crowd table...because with 3 gladiators put to death by the crowd in 4 fights I was  :? :'(

With the new Distribute Tier Levels I think we're gonna reboot our campaign start...
I can't wait to test it all.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of The Elephant, 1933

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
I've already read the new stuff on my lunch time  :D and I'm very pleased by your improvements. It's very good.
The apathy, the signature moves and the changes for the campaign (munus and match events).
And of course, I'm very happy with the new Appeal to the crowd table...because with 3 gladiators put to death by the crowd in 4 fights I was  :? :'(

With the new Distribute Tier Levels I think we're gonna reboot our campaign start...
I can't wait to test it all.

Glad you approve Franck.

The Appeal to the Crowd Table has needed adjusting for some time as the death rate was a little too high with tiro gladiators. A friend (and vigorous play tester) made the brilliant suggestion to bring in a second roll from the editor and I think it works really nicely.

Unfortunately the version update came at a poor time for you, but it would likely make sense to reboot your campaign. Makes for good practice anyway so you may work up to actually winning a match against your daughter.  lol

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
The Appeal to the Crowd Table has needed adjusting for some time as the death rate was a little too high with tiro gladiators. A friend (and vigorous play tester) made the brilliant suggestion to bring in a second roll from the editor and I think it works really nicely.

Really nice idea indeed.

Unfortunately the version update came at a poor time for you, but it would likely make sense to reboot your campaign. Makes for good practice anyway so you may work up to actually winning a match against your daughter.  lol
o_o  lol

One question reading the rules : as a fervour token count as a bonus Laurel dice, can you use it to discard an apathy token ? As the dice is temporary forfeited to do so, what if using fervour token ?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 04:11:46 PM by Eithriall »

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
One question reading the rules : as a fervour token count as a bonus Laurel dice, can you use it to discard an apathy token ? As the dice is temporary forfeited to do so, what if using fervour token ?

Great question Franck, but no. The rule states specifically that a Laurel Dice must be forfeited, the forfeited part being most important. I could probably make it clearer that a fervour token can not be implemented in this situation although.

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Great question Franck, but no. The rule states specifically that a Laurel Dice must be forfeited, the forfeited part being most important. I could probably make it clearer that a fervour token can not be implemented in this situation although.
I honestly understood it that way but I prefer to ask for confirmation.

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Julia and I have prepared 12 new gladiators according to the v1.4 rules (2 Tiro and 4 Tier1 each) and are about to start a new campaign.

The more I read the rules, the more I think that you have brilliantly captured the essence of the fights and the atmosphere that goes with them. The game is very fun while reflecting the ultra tactical aspect of the battles. Once you've learned the rules, the fights are pretty quick.

On the Gladiator sheets the spaces to remind the attack and defense bonuses are a good idea.
If the game gets a professional edition (and I really wish it would), there should be tokens to manage all the traits and bonuses/malus (like the Claustrophobia 1643 characters sheets).

1st Munus of v1.4 coming soon

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Has anyone done the dodgy joke about the Roman cannibal who killed his wife? He was gladiator.

Ay thang yo.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
The more I read the rules, the more I think that you have brilliantly captured the essence of the fights and the atmosphere that goes with them. The game is very fun while reflecting the ultra tactical aspect of the battles. Once you've learned the rules, the fights are pretty quick.

That's great to hear and yes once the initial concept of how to play is learned the combats can go quickly. The original version had the potential to drag on but the fatigue mechanic will usually take care of that now.

On the Gladiator sheets the spaces to remind the attack and defense bonuses are a good idea.
If the game gets a professional edition (and I really wish it would), there should be tokens to manage all the traits and bonuses/malus (like the Claustrophobia 1643 characters sheets).

I had to look up Claustrophobia 1643 but I get your idea.

Has anyone done the dodgy joke about the Roman cannibal who killed his wife? He was gladiator.

I've never heard that one and had to admit I had a chuckle. You'll be here all week, try the veal Cubs?  lol

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
We have done our first fight from the first Munus of our new campaign and guess what ?!?  ??? :'(

So my one and only request is to subtly modify the "Appeal to the crowd" table as such :
2-4 : Iugula!
5-7 : Devided! Appeal to the Editor
8-12 : Mitte!

I will do the whole report of the Munus after playing the second fight but the first one was great and ardently disputed.
We really enjoyed it.
 :) :) ;)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 07:05:21 AM by Eithriall »

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
So my one and only request is to subtly modify the "Appeal to the crowd" table as such :
5-7 : Devided! Appeal to the Editor

I'm guessing the Editor was not kind...

:'( :'( :'(

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis

This kind of stuff for the Tessera Gladiatoria. The idea is to have the less things to write....

An this kind for the gladiator play sheet (cut cardboard) with some spaces for dice, wound tokens, fatigue tracker...

« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 07:06:41 PM by Eithriall »

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Campaign Report (rules v1.4)

Ludi of Franck and Julia

Year I / Munus I

Munus event : Blood soaked arena

Game I : Atrox (Murmillo) vs Funestus (Thraex)

Match event : no match event

After the Pompa, the gladiators enter on a bloody arena as the audience chanted their names and demanded action. Here comes the terrible Atrox, an infamous Italian villain condemned to fight in the arena (a Murmillo tier 1 with traits : Strong/Fierce/Resilient). He faces Funestus, a strong Numidian condemned criminal fighting with the Thraex armatura (tier 1 with traits : Quick, Left hander, Strong). The Numidian seems impressed by the reputation of the Italian bandit and enters the arena trembling (unnerve roll : 1 temporarly forfeited die).

Round 1
Sure of his strenght the Murmillo advances quickly but fails in an attempt to disarm his opponent. A second attack is parried by the parmula of the Thraex.
Then Funestus moves around the Murmillo (circling attack) and hits his lead leg but without succeeding in hurting him (1 fatigue). Once on the right of the Murmillo his next attack with the sica is parried by the scutum of Atrox. He tries to provoke his opponent, but the Italian bandit keeps his nerves.

Round 2
Funestus takes the initiative (and gets his forfeited die back), then moves and attacks, but the Murmillo defends himself.
Atrox reduces the distance and gives a big blow to the Thraex whith a shield strike with the scutum but the Numidian makes an great defence (double 6 rolled). Atrox surprised by the reaction of the Numidian manages not to fall.

Round 3
Atrox moves and tries to disarm his opponent again. The attack is easily parried.
Then he tries another shield strike and wounds the Thraex to the leg (flesh wound) and exchanges a laurel die with a fervour token.
Funestus answers with a hook around attack and inflicts a flesh wound to the lead arm of the Murmillo. He next plays with the crowd who responds favorably and takes the time to breathe a little.

Round 4
Atrox presses the Numidian criminal with a heavy strike but well defended. Another attack is parried again.
Funestus tries to bypass the scutum of the Murmillo with a hook around, but his attack fails. A heavy strike is once again parried by the Italian. Then the Thraex controls his breath.

Round 5
Funestus takes the initiative and makes an attack easily parried by the Murmillo, but his second strike wounds the lead leg despite the ocrea which starts to bleed. He then fails to play with the crowd and to provoke Atrox.
Atrox is now fatigued (1 permanently forfeited die). He takes some time to breathe then moves and attacks but without success.

Round 6
Atrox tries to react by sticking to his enemy (circling attack). His attacks fails and the next one, an heavy one, is parried by the Thraex. An attempt to play with the crowd is a failure.
Funestus moves his sica around the shield and wounds the Murmillo to his rear arm (flesh wound) as the crowd roars with pleisure. He moves and attacks heavily but the scutum withstands the shock. The Thraex is now unleashed and move to hit again and badly the Italian to his lead arm (deep wound – second bleed token). A last aimed attack glides down the arm of the Murmillo whithout leaving a trace. This attempt to disabled his lead arm has failed but the Murmillo has to forfait a second die permanently.

Round 7
Funestus holds the initiative hoping to finish the fight. He moves around (circling attack) and inflicts a wound to the torso of the Murmillo (flesh wound). Then he hits his opponent in the helmet with another hook around, inflicting a fatigue.
Atrox is covered with blood, near exhausted and without any real possibility to act. Feeling its end very near, he plays a last time with the crowd with success before turning to the referee to admit his defeat.

Appeal to the crow : 2d6 + 2 favour tokens :  6+2 = 8.
Atrox has to appeal to the Editor but he is caught up with his criminal past.

Appeal to the Editor : 2d6 – 1 condemned criminal : 5 -1 = 4
Atrox is put to death by the Editor.

Victory for Funestus  (Ludus of Julia)
Fame +4 (+3 winning the match, +1 two favour tokens)

Year I / Munus I :

Munus event : Blood soaked arena

Game II : Asprinus (Retiarius) vs Ajax (Secutor)

Match event : Good omen (for Asprinus)

Two new gladiators enter the arena, Asprinus a Tiro Plebeian Auctoratus (tier 0 – traits : Aggressive, Resilient) facing Ajax an agressive unruly Greek  slave (tier 1 – traits : Vigorous, Agile, Agressive).
Both fighters remain calm before the match (no unnerved opponent).

Round 1
Asprinus not impressed by the tier 1 of his opponent moves and succeeds to hit directly the Secutor with an unstoppable strike (double 6 rolled). By chance, this is only a glancing blow touching the helmet. Then a extended lunge is parried by the scutum of the Secutor. Asprinus then manages to provoke his opponent (1 forfeited die for Ajax).
Ajax comes to his senses and goes on the attack. He moves to hit the Retiarius with a shield strike, but the Auctoratus defends beautifully (double 6 rolled again!). Ajax stumbles and loses it means (1 forfeited die – the second in same row).

Round 2
Ajax tries to react moving around the Retiarius (circling attack), he fails as his blow is dodged by the trident. Another attack is parried. Ulcerated he insults his opponent who is frightened (1 forfeited die).
Asprinus stays away and realize an extended lunge with his trident but parried by the scutum. Then a driven attack is no more effective.

Round 3
Asprinus takes the initiative with another extended lunge, but Ajax dodges the blow. He then moves and attacks the Secutor who gets confused (double 1 on defence roll – gaining a fatigue). The next moves and attacks are parried.
Ajax (with not enough dice) can just move and do an attack easily stopped by the trident.

Round 4
Ajax has the initiative, advancing to disarm his opponent, but failing at it.
Asprinus tries another extended lunge without success, then moves and hits the shield of the Secutor.
He takes advantage of his withdraw to breathe.

Ajax is now fatigued (1 permanently forfeited die) and has only 4 action dice available.

Round 5
Asprinus insists with the extended lunge and manages to hit the lead arm of Ajax, causing a fatigue.
At this time, Ajax has no available parry tokens !
The Secutor tries to disarm his opponent without success then moves and hits the Retiarius on his rear arm, but it’s only a glancing blow.

Round 6
Asprinus holds the initiative and tries another extended lundge parried by Ajax. Then he casts his net but fails to entangle his opponent. A circling attack goes into the void, but a driven attack inflicts a flesh wound to the lead arm of the Secutor and force him to enter in the area where the net lies. He’s knocked prone (end of his turn).
Asprinus fails to play with the crowd, it’s not enough.

Round 7
Ajax takes the lead and manages to stand up. He then rushes the Auctoratus but fails touching him.
His attempt to play with the crowd is a fail, but the one to provoke his opponent is a success (1 forfeited die).
Asprinus moves and conducts a driven attack, then an extended lunge, but the two are parried by the Secutor bending under the blows but not breaking.
Time to breathe for the Retiarius.

Round 8
Ajax hits the head of Asprinus with a shield strike but only inflicting a fatigue.
Asprinus responds, touching the lead arm of the Secutor with a glancing blow.

Round 9
Asprinus attacks with an extended lunge, parried with the scutum. A new driven attack to push the Secutor towards the net fails.
Ajax moves and tries also a driven attack. He hits but only manages to inflict a fatigue to the Retiarius.

Round 10
Ajax needs a respite to catch his breath. A circling attack lined with a driven attack are no more effective.
Asprinus tries an extended lunge, parried, then tries in vain to tire a little more the Secutor with a relentless blow.

Round 11
Ajax pursues his ennemy and hits his head (flesh wound). Not enough to finish the match because he’s now near to be exhausted.
Asprinus uses the same tactic than before. Extended lunge, to force the Secutor to defend, letting him without parry token or defence die.
His next attack is a critical strike (double 6 rolled again!!!). Inflicting a flesh wound to the lead leg of Ajax.
Asprinus plays with the crowd, and the crowd responds with fervour.

Round 12
Asprinus stays at distance and his next attack is dodged. He moves around his opponent and finds an opening in the guard of the Secutor. He hits the head but the roll for the wounds is a double 1, so the Good omen token is used to re-roll, inflicting a deep wound (1 more forfeited die).
At this time, Ajax has 1 temporarily and two permanently forfeited dice. He’s is just able to make a last useless attack to stay close to his adversary.

He finishes the round exhausted (X on the fatigue track) and has to forfeit the match.

Appeal to the crowd : 2d6 =  4
Ajax is put to death...after a 12 round match...hem!!

Victory for Asprinus (Ludus of Julia)
Fame +5 (+3 winning the match, +1 auctoratus win, +1 two favour tokens)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 09:54:46 AM by Eithriall »

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Another two great reports Franck. Thank you for the detailed blow by blow accounts, it must have taken you some time and effort to put it all together.

They were both long matches, but that second match was titanic. Twelve rounds!

Poor House Franck!  :'(

Atrox the Murmillo was sliced and diced by the justly name Thraex, Funestus, only to fall exhausted and face the turned thumb of the Editor.

And Ajax the Secutor, dethroned by the tiro Retiarius, Asprinus, after he put on such a long and thrilling combat, all in that bloody secutor helm!

The House of Julia is truly blessed by the Gods! My denarii are on her.

OK Franck, down to the nitty gritty. I'm sure you aren't thrilled about losing two gladiators after such entertaining fights. I am going over your following suggestion of changing the Appeal to the crowd table:

5-7 : Divided! Appeal to the Editor

Do you think that will make the difference? Are there are any modifiers on either (appeal to crowd or editor) table that need adjusting?

I'd like to hear your thoughts about playing the mismatched tier fight (Asprinus vs Ajax) as well. Obviously the lower tier won so unlikely Julia felt a balance issue.

Again thanks for doing this Franck.

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
I don't want to minimize the success of Julia but on this games her luck with the dice was just insane and to me a lots of poor dice rolls! The Gods have chosen their side.

In the match between the Thraex and the Murmillo she plays well as the Thraex armatura is her favorite. The Murmillo did well but... Really nothing to say she deserves the victory.

On the other hand, in the match between the Retiarius and the Secutor she doesn't mind with balance issue because of the difference of tier. She just took foolish risks and plays the Retiarius as if he were well armored. She never uses the retreat and was never than more 1 hex to the Secutor. She casts the net only on round 6 and continues to hit with the trident again and again. As a Secutor I did what was expected, chasing and pressing her... I strike multiple times with the scutum but never did more than 4 on the injury table. So, I chase, hit, chase and hit again for a poor result until I was exhausted.

I don't know if my idea for the appeal table will do a real difference. If you're really ready to lower the death risk with the crowd then the table should be :
2-3 : Iugula!
4-6 : Divided! Appeal to the Editor
7-12 : Mitte!

For the modifiers perhaps in the appeal with the crowd table : +1 if you lost a 10 or more rounds match ?