Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:06:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690904
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193400 times)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Furt, you made it so long, so do the last steps. The Campaign-system could be the next step, but first release the basic game. A all-in-one-solution is not necessary in the moment. The game is great. Maybe a kickstarter? I know, it is becoming a bad word in the moment, but it can solve some financial problems and you can see if the audience is still listening (you understand).
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
If someone has the ability and desire to take my drafts and turn them into a presentable document I'd be willing to talk, but either way its unlikely I have the willpower to nut out the campaign game.

I'd have a hard time imagining that the combined might of LAF together couldn't help you produce the base game at the very least. Which might not be a bad point to stop for a while. Wait and see where the game goes from that point, what the "meta" does. Then, if there is still interest consider the "full" game with campaign an all.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Hi Frank,

I think the rules were laid out fine in the last draft?

Perhaps as others have said leave out the campaign rules and just go for the original game as a stand alone Gladiator combat system.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Hi Frank,

Perhaps as others have said leave out the campaign rules and just go for the original game as a stand alone Gladiator combat system.

I agree, I dont think BotS has to have a campaign to be fun.  If it worked out great, but I dont think it's integral to a successful game.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
I also hope you don't get bogged down in a "reasonable time frame" for the campaign.  It's a campaign, the time is irrelevant!  Last time I was running a campaign with my buddy via Skype we had a good time, just running 2-4 fights per session (some quite quick, others lengthy).  It's been a while since I looked through the campaign stuff but I'd be willing to give another look and provide some more suggestions.

The game is hugely strong on the basic fight - all the other stuff is just icing on the cake.  Where the game doesn't deliver X, Y or Z...I guarantee players will fill in the gaps.  It was only a few games before I started introducing obstacles, the pontus bridge etc.  I think a simple fun campaign framework would be great --- if players want to streamline it or enhance it let them!

Also, nothing stopping you from a good quality first version - (PDF would allow a living rulebook for minor changes) and then a revised 2nd edition in a couple of years if the community brings more insight, more playtesting, more ideas/encouragement.  I'll shoot you an email Furt and see if I can rummage up some ideas/inspiration.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
A friend and I played a game a couple weeks ago. I've hardly painted a thing in the last year, but I did finish up two gladiators recently after playing the match.

We decided on a Thraex vs. Murmillo fight, and rolled abilities. Strangely we both had the average of 3, with the exception of a 5 in Speed for each of us. Pretty even...

I was playing the Thraex and put the hammer on quick (acquiring fatigue), driving the Murmillo up against the wall and scoring a number of minor wounds over a few rounds. There was a range of maneuvers, counters, evades, advanced attacks...

Just when both were feeling the effects of fatigue, the Murmillo thrust in desperation and hit a vein. The Murmillo bounded forward with a shield strike, and the Thraex fell to the ground. He still managed to fend off the blows and get on his feet, and the crowd roared approval. Staggering, exhausted, back to the wall, the Thraex signed for missio, which was granted.

Like all my experiences with BotS it was a fun game, tense, and could have gone either way anytime. The fight took slightly over an hour of real time.

BotS has the best 1 vs. 1 mechanics I've seen in a game, and I think it is ready to be released on the public. There's always a second edition anyway!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:29:50 AM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Great report Dr Mathias.  ;D

I wholeheartedly agre with you on its excellent combat system. It's simply brilliant, we have had great fun playing it! :)

Strangely it seems be our winter game of choice, being played mostly then :)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Like all my experiences with BotS it was a fun game, tense, and could have gone either way anytime.

BotS has the best 1 vs. 1 mechanics I've seen in a game, and I think it is ready to be released on the public. There's always a second edition anyway!

Very much this, when I played Too bo coo he rolled a vastly superior fighter and ended up winning, however there were a couple of times where I ended up trying for a advanced move (a finishing blow even, I believe) that, had the bones fallen a bit more in my favour, would have done his german brute in for.

I really like how in this game there are unfair fights, but never safe fights. The underdog always has a chance, and with luck and smarts might bring down a superior opponent.

on a far more selfish note, I can't wait for this game to get released and some fan to write up a cool Fantasy mod for it. heck I'd love to do it. :D

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Very much this, when I played Too bo coo he rolled a vastly superior fighter and ended up winning, however there were a couple of times where I ended up trying for a advanced move (a finishing blow even, I believe) that, had the bones fallen a bit more in my favour, would have done his german brute in for.

I really like how in this game there are unfair fights, but never safe fights. The underdog always has a chance, and with luck and smarts might bring down a superior opponent.

on a far more selfish note, I can't wait for this game to get released and some fan to write up a cool Fantasy mod for it. heck I'd love to do it. :D

A fine time was had by all! :D

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
A fine time was had by all! :D

Indeed, actually now that my schedule is a lot more open we should try for more games soon.  :)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Also, nothing stopping you from a good quality first version - (PDF would allow a living rulebook for minor changes) and then a revised 2nd edition in a couple of years if the community brings more insight, more playtesting, more ideas/encouragement.  I'll shoot you an email Furt and see if I can rummage up some ideas/inspiration.

You have always said that Oscar and it was always my original plan for BotS. Please shoot away mate.  :)

I'd have a hard time imagining that the combined might of LAF together couldn't help you produce the base game at the very least. Which might not be a bad point to stop for a while. Wait and see where the game goes from that point, what the "meta" does. Then, if there is still interest consider the "full" game with campaign an all.

I have been thinking along these lines now too YPU and it's what everyone else seems to agree on - maybe BotS can work without a dedicated campaign system. Maybe the combat rules themselves would be enough to get people playing and using them however they like. All the mechanics, like Fame, Wounds etc for a campaign are there, it's more the logistics of what a group does with it.

Thanks Nick. I think players were getting it too actually, without too much clarification, but something in me just expects much more. I guess I don't want to hand anyone something I feel in my mind is an "unfinished" game.

A friend and I played a game a couple weeks ago. I've hardly painted a thing in the last year, but I did finish up two gladiators recently after playing the match.

Thanks for posting that Dr. Mathias. It made my day to see those beautiful miniatures and a game of BotS set up. God knows this thread would not be into the 100,000+ views (crap!) without your input. It's been so long since I just sat down and enjoyed a game of BotS. All the struggles I had with the publisher really took any joy out of the game for me.

Thanks to everyone who has posted a response here - you all give me a little hope.  LAF is such a wonderful place. :)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
So, can we finally hope to see the game at sales?
I sure would love that. :)

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
How about this idea.... publish the current rules, as a PDF or whatever, and include the beta campaign rules along with it.  You know how we all are, if given the bare bones we would eventually flesh them out.  Plus a new rule set would generate more interest in the campaign department.

What I'm basically saying is PUBLISH THOSE RULES!  :D

Justin,
Still kicking myself for not jumping on the playtesters bandwagon....

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
As a friend pointed out yesterday, we could also really use a good post apocalyptic gladiator game. Really Furst I just want you to publish your fantastic base engine so that people can make fan mods for it down the road.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
..... we could also really use a good post apocalyptic gladiator game.......

That would be QWIK no?

I will add my vote to the "pdf now" lobby. Would be 15mm for me but happy to support the game.