Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:50:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193360 times)

Offline ColinOfCreatioGames

• Lurker
    • Creatio Games
The reason I ask is *because* this thread started in 2013!  lol

Cupro-nickel miniatures are those made of a copper-nickel alloy. Like the metal used for coins, not a soft metal like a typical game mini. I really like them.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Add me to the list of possible playtesters please, I have all the Crusader Miniatures painted and based, even have a partially built arena somewhere in the basement.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Definitely up for playtesting.  My 54mm gladiators and arena need resurrecting and I liked your first set of rules.  :-* :-*

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Thanks. Noted gents.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Interested parties Pm'ed.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
I have replied.
Graham Wilkinson

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Frank,

Comments sent by email.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Received Gary - thanks for the great feedback. I'm replying by email.

Just to reiterate, because I don't think I've made it very clear, the current play test doc has all campaign elements omitted at this point.  It is a showcase of the basic mechanics only.

Campaign stuff will follow shortly hopefully.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
Played a couple of games with the Little Fish today and detailed comments to follow (directly to Frank) once I've had a few more games next weekend against different opponents.

General impressions:

:) I like it! In a weird way, it's almost like test cricket in that it's a good tactical game where even if it looks like not much is happening there is usually something going on in the background and when it ramps up it is quick, decisive and devastating.

:) The action dice management mechanism works really well. Plenty of decision making throughout the game.

:) Traits work well and stop gladiator being 'cookie cutter' playing pieces with no individual character.

:) Fatigue management is key and gives players things to think about other than attacking and defending (only) as is the case in some gladiator rules.

;) Using 'normal' dice was not a hassle at all, A few turns in we all had it memorized.

:-I Gladiator ethnic origins are great fun, but don't seem to have any in game effects.

We played two games. The first was a Murmillo vs Thraex match up with the Little Fish (Aged 11 and 9) in charge.

It started off slowly with back-and-forth probes, a few attempts at special attacks and plenty of breathers from the big men. After a while a few hits started landing and minor wounds began to accrue. The crowd loved it and rewards the Murmillo's showmanship with a couple of favour tokens. In the last turn a burst of energy (and high rolling) saw the big shield man take the initiative and sucker the Thracian in with a heavy blow to the head that had the claret flowing and would have finished him if it wasn't for his crest absorbing some of the blow. The ringside crowd went berserk - this was his third wound so next turn he'd be down an action dice. But by giving into hate (and headache) the sica artist slipped past his opponent's ever-heavier shield and followed through with a savage chop that almost severed his opponent's shield arm. The Thraex received the plaudits as his opponent bled out.

Above: Fighters take position

Above: Down goes the big man

The next match saw my Hoplomachus take on Mrs Fish's Provocatore. This was a much more mobile match with the gladiators fighting pretty much all over the map and nearly, on a couple of occasions, managing to pin their opponent on the wall. The heavily-armoured Provacatore was a hard nut to injure, despite having plenty of opportunities and making a raft of long range stabs over the course of the bout. By contrast the big man was able to make good use of his 'vigorous' characteristic to manage his fatigue but one turn when he nearly tripped with snake eyes (and lost the rest of his turn) followed by three attacks that all inflicted fatigue saw him hit that magic 'F' on the fatigue track and become markedly less effective. Instead of trying to skewer him which was hard going - even three torso attacks that should have drawn blood were turned aside - the tactic went to trying to run his fatigue down and, not too long after this the tuckered out Provocatore called it a day. The generous crowd, who were getting a bit bored by the lack of blood, called 'missio' and we called it a day.

Above: Lining up the contest for the second bout

Above: Winner, winner chicken dinner - the lighter equipped man watches his opponent overheat and give up

So, first impressions are very positive and I look forward to more to come with with Retiarius and Secutior action definitely on the cards.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Great report Muzfish4 and thank you for taking the time. Your setup looks great!  :)

Glad you have enjoyed it so far. Would really like your feedback on the classic retarius vs secutor pairing.

Sounds like you had two very different matches. Any thoughts on the Special Attacks of the classes you did play?

Ethnicity has always been just flavour in BotS but I have toyed with related game mechanics in the past. Unfortunately, it made too many predictable stereotypes in my view but we can revisit the idea again. Any thoughts on what you'd like to see done with it?

There is an update scheduled very soon with campaign rules.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 12:26:29 AM by Furt »

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
This all looks so awesome. 

Really want this game to be completed so we can all experience it. 

My Colosseum stands ready to host games to entertain the Plebs.

Is it too late to get in on play testing?

D

This image is in no way connected with me begging… or is it?  o_o  :

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:07:11 AM by Rabbitz »
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Wow!!!  :o :o :o

That is probably one of the nicest arenas builds I have seen to date - beautiful!  :-* :-* :-*

The only issue I have with such an amazing build is playability. Having gamed way too many gladiator matches I can't be bothered reaching into a proper arena anymore so tend to leave the front face off, so it's an open arena. With yours I could learn to live with making an acceptation I think.

Is this all Ian Lovecraft kickstarter stuff? The figures making up the crowd and editor's box are exceptional.

PM incoming Rabbitz.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 02:21:22 AM by Furt »

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
That's the first build I've seen with a good amount of spectators... really cool.  :-*
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
Wow!!!  :o :o :o

That is probably one of the nicest arenas builds I have seen to date - beautiful!  :-* :-* :-*

The only issue I have with such an amazing build is playability. Having gamed way too many gladiator matches I can't be bothered reaching into a proper arena anymore so tend to leave the front face off, so it's an open arena. With yours I could learn to live with making an acceptation I think.

Is this all Ian Lovecraft kickstarter stuff? The figures making up the crowd and editor's box are exceptional.

PM incoming Rabbitz.  ;)

Thanks.   Yes it’s all Iain Lovecraft stuff.

I built it so it splits in half so essentially it’s the backdrop for two seperate arenas.   ;)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
VERY impressive. I have been toying with something like the
private arena (the first one he fights in) in the film Spartacus.
Then I would get away from having to do a huge crowd. :D