Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:43:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 192254 times)

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Campaign Report (rules v1.4)

Ludi of Franck and Julia

Year I / Munus II :

Munus event : no Munus event

Game I : Tetraites (Hoplomachus) vs Vegetus (Murmillo)

Match event : Ill omen (for Tetraites)

This fight opposes two German prisonners of war. Tetraites a tier 1 Hoplomachus (traits Aggressive, Son of Mars and Strong – so a +3 bonus attack) opposed to Vegetus a Murmillo with some experience (tier 1 – traits : Adored, Vigorous, Resilient) but impressed by is blood brother (unnerved – 1 forfeited die).

Round 1
Tetraites goes immediately to his opponent, attacking with a piercing strike well defended by the Murmillo. He tries to provoke Vegetus and play with the crowd without success.
The Murmillo moves and attacks (after exchanging a laurel die to retrieve his forfeited die). He’s blow is parried by the spear. An attempt to play with the crowd is a failure.

Round 2
The Hoplomachus fails to touch the Murmillo then tries an extended lunge. It’s a hit in te lead arm, but only a glancing blow. Tetraites uses a respite to breathe.
Vegetus tries a driven attack, but nicely parried. He now breathes and plays with the crowd cheering him back (1 favour token).

Round 3
Vegetus moves now around his opponent (circling attack), hitting him in the lead leg causing fatigue. An attack on the left flank of the Hoplomachus hitting the arm causes a fatigue as he’s not capable to defend himself properly (double 1 rolled). Then a aggressive provocation forces him to forfeit a die. Vegetus plays again with a crowd and cries of satisfaction are heard.
Tetraites now angry conducts a stunning driven attacks (double 6 rolled). The Murmillo is wounded to the lead arm and starts bleeding (deep wound). Tetraites now plays with the crowd and can hear some roarings and applause under his helmet (1 favour).
He recovers then his forfeited die.

Round 4
Vegetus tries a circling attack parried by Tetraites. The next attack on the left flank of the Hoplomachus is well defended again. Vegetus then uses a respite to catch his breath.
Tetraites takes advantage of the calm to breathe too. He tries next to disarm his opponent, but without success.

Round 5
Tetraites takes the advantage and makes a huge attack (+5 bonus) but….fumble! (double 1 rolled). He forfeits 1 action die.
Vegetus, who tooks advantage of it to not withdraw, attacks on contact and hits the lead leg, inflicting only a fatigue. He now tries a relentless attack parried with success by the Hoplomachus.

Round 6
Vegetus attempts an impetus attack but Tetraites stops him. Trying a relentless attack, the Murmillo succeeds wounding his opponent to his lead arm (flesh wound + 1 fatigue). After that he ventilates thoroughly because he gets tired quickly because of his bleeding (3 respite dice). Trying to avoiding to be fatigued.
Tetraites moves and makes a flank attack (result of 15 on the dice roll). The Ill omen token is used forcing to make the roll again….and again the result is 15! The lead arm of the Retiarius is hit with a….glancing blow (could this be only possible?!).

Round 7
Tetraites is now fatigued (1 permanently and 1 temporarily fofeited dice) but catches the initiative to move and make a heavy strike, hitting the lead arm only for a fatigue result.
Vegetus does a circling attacks that manages to hit the vitals for a direct kill:o
(Leaving me a little bitter).

Victory for Vegetus (Ludus of Julia)
Fame +5 (+3 winning the match, +1 two favour tokens, +1 kill wound)

Year I / Munus II :

Game II : Hyperion (Provocator) vs Belliger (Provocator)

Match event : ignore match pairing (which is ignored by lanistae!)

The two gladiators are Briton prisoners of war forced to fight together.
Hyperion a tier 1 Provocator with the Aggessive, Vigorous and Son of Pluto traits. He faces Belliger a tier 0 Provocator with Aggressive and Quick traits.

Non one si unnerved before the match starts.

Round 1
Hyperion is the first in action, moving around (circling attack). His attempt is well defended by Belliger. Another attack is parried with ease. Hyperion insists, closing his opponent and striking again, but in vain.
Belliger now moves and tries to aim an area without armor but fails doing this. He fails with style as the crowd grants him favour (successful play to the crowd). Self-confident he then provoques his adversary (1 forfeited die).

Round 2
Hyperion is back for the attack, but his circling and driven attacks are parried by the scutum of Belliger.
Then the tier 0 Briton fails in a circling attack lined with a simple strike. Wanting to close his opponent he rushes and hits Hyperion in the rear arm inflicting him a deep wound. He now takes some time the breath because his sequence was tiring.

Round 3
Belliger holds the initiative but his eagerness works against him (double 1 rolled on attack). However he manages to keep his balance. He recovers and places a beautiful attack ont the torso of Hyperion but only causing him fatigue.
Hyperion tries to breath and he retrieves is forfeited die. His next move an attack have no effect.

Round 4
Belliger still holds the initiative, breathing then trying a circling attack hitting the lead arm of Hyperion in a glancing blow.
Hyperion needs air then advances and strikes Belliger in the same way Belliger did a few seconds ago, touching his lead arm in a glancing blow. Hyperion takes now another respite.

Belliger is now fatigued (1 permanently forfeited die).

Round 5
Hyperion has now the initiative and does a drivent attack parried by his opponent. Then he stumbles while trying to give a new blow (double 1 rolled on attack). He avoids losing his balance. He tries to place a relentless attack but fails at it. His last action is to catch his breath.
Belliger moves and presses (driven attack) but the blow is parried. He advances again and strikes but Hyperion succeeds in a magnificent defense (double 6 rolled). Luckily Belliger does not fall.

Hyperion is now fatigued (1 permanently forfeited die).

Round 6
Hyperion advances and tries to move on the right flank but his attack fails. The next attempt his well parried by his adversary.
Belliger moves clos to Hyperion but fails in a driven attack.

Round 7
Hyperion fails attempting a circling attack and his next sword stroke is parried. He takes some time the breath (2 respite dice).
Belliger has no better luck failing in a circling and a disarm attacks. He needs to catch his breath too.

Round 8
Hyperion holds the initiative and succeeds in a fierce strike (double 6 rolled). Belliger is hit in his lead arm (flesh wound). Hyperion plays with the crowd but in vain. He then breathes aloud (2 respite dice).
Belliger tries to hit Hyperion with his shield but without result. Then he strikes with force (relentless attack) hitting in the torso of Hyperion taking his breath away (2 fatigues for Hyperion).

Round 9
Hyperion is near exhausted, he respites again and tries two attacks (circling + relentless) that are parried by Belliger.
Belliger can no longer touch his opponent but fails to just exhaust him. He too is now very tired and take time to breathe (2 respite dice).

Round 10
Belliger takes the initiative and places his last forces in a circling and a relentless attacks. He hits his opponent inflicting him 2 more fatigues (Hyperion is now exhausted).
It’s the last chance for Hyperion to do something before being suffocated. He moves and attacks but Belliger succeeds in the best defense of his life (double 6 rolled!). One more fatigue for Hyperion (already on the X of the track). He plays a last time with the crowd but with no reward.

Hyperion forfeits the math because of his exhaustion.

Appeal to the crowd : 2d6 +1 = 10
Hyperion will return to fight.
Fame + 2 (+1 offered Missio, +1 two favour tokens)

Victory for Belliger (Ludus of Franck)
Fame +4 (+3 winning the match, +1 two favour tokens)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 11:13:46 AM by Eithriall »
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”Robert E. Howard, The Tower of The Elephant, 1933

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
I don't know if my idea for the appeal table will do a real difference. If you're really ready to lower the death risk with the crowd then the table should be :
2-3 : Iugula!
4-6 : Divided! Appeal to the Editor
7-12 : Mitte!

I think that configuration favours them too much. Regardless of the historical inaccuracy, the gameplay element  must come first and there must exist a reasonable chance (and fear) of a gladiator being put to the sword. I do understand that it seems you have experienced more than your fair share of the Iugula! result although Franck.

For the modifiers perhaps in the appeal with the crowd table : +1 if you lost a 10 or more rounds match ?

The only problem I see with this modifier is that a long match would not automatically equate to a well fought match in the eyes of the crowd.

Julia's lucky dice rolls continue! Tetraites the Hoplomachus appeared to have the makings of a real champion, alas, a thrust to the groin with a gladius will often burst those aspirations.

All I can say is thank the gods Hyperion was spared! It really does not seem to worry these tiros facing down the tier 1 gladiators.

Again, Franck, thanks for your great reports.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Re: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...
« Reply #932 on: September 03, 2022, 05:07:36 PM »

Ludi of Franck and Julia

Year I / Munus III :

Game I : Ermanamer (Thraex) vs Funestus (Thraex)

Match event : Ignore match pairing (Julia chooses his Thraex Funestus already victorious in the first Munus of the year. She secretly wants him to be his best fighter)

Ermanamer is a tall german POW tier 1 Thraex (traits : Large, Cautious, Agile).
Funestus is a Numidian condemned criminal. A tier 1 Thraex (traits : Quick, Left hander, Strong).

None of the fighter is unnerved before the match starts.

Round 1
Ermanamer is the first in the fight. A vicious hook around is well defended by Funestus. The German manages to immediately provoke his opponent (1 temporarily forfeited die).
Funestus reacts with a circling attack parried by Ermanamer. Then he recovers his forfeited die before inflicting a terrible wound to his adversary with a massive attack. Slow kill on the lead arm. Ermanamer drops his sica and starts bleeding (1 disfavour).

Round 2
Funestus gets the initiative but his attack is parried by Ermanamer. Then he moves towards the space between the sica and the German prisoner of war, blocking the way to the weapon. As the crowd roars, the Numidian plays with it and is rewarded by a favour token (his second token).
Ermanamer has no choice, he has to recover his weapon. He chooses to do a driven attack to push Funestus on the hex with the sica. With his empty hand, he succeeds to touch the helmet of Funestus (glancing blow), no injury but that’s enough to push back Funestus. The Numidian avoids the trap. Ermanamer moves again and tries to disarm Funestus but without success. Time to respite.

Round 3
Funestus holds the initiative but chooses to give it to Ermanamer. Surprising choice but he seems sure of himself.
So, the German succeeds to rearm himself then moves and attacks but the Numidian does a gorgeous defense.
Funestus uses his Quick trait but fails his circling attack. His next attack touches the rear leg of the German inflicting a fatigue.

Round 4
Funestus moves around with a new circling attack. He hits the head of Ermanamer but only with a glancing blow. A hook around just hits the target (equal roll dice) but succeeds to inflict a terrible wound to the rear arm of Ermanamer (slow kill, again). The German drops his shield, forfeit one die and gain one disfavour). But it’s still not enough ! Funestus moves again and hits again the rear arm with a driven attack. He just kills Ermanamer right away (13 rolled after modifiers).

Victory for Funestus  (Ludus of Julia)
Fame +5 (+3 winning the match, +1 two favour tokens, +1 kill wound)
Funestus is now tier 2.

Year I / Munus III :

Game II : Iniuriosus (Hoplomachus) vs Crixus (Murmillo)

Match event : training posts

The fight opposes 2 tiro gladiators (tier 0). Iniuriosus, a German POW (traits : Quick, Large) versus Crixux an auctoratus with the Murmillo armatura (plebeian volunteer with traits : Vigorous and Son of Pluto).

Round 1
Crixus gains the initiative. He moves and does a circling attack, wounding the lead arm of the Hoplomachus (flesh wound). Still in contact, he hits the same arm a second time, inflicting another flesh wound. The game starts strong as the crowd exults.
Iniuriosus is surprised. He does an extended lunge, easily parried, then moves towards the Murmillo but his attack is to weak. His attempt to impress the Roman is a fail.

Round 2
Crixus is hot and holds the initiative. He moves then attacks ferociously. The Hoplomachus is destabilized and does a catastrophic defense (double 1 rolled). He’s wounded to the head despite the helmet (flesh wound). With his 3rd wound, The Hoplomachus has to forfeit permanently a die. Crixus takes advantage of the situation succeeding to provoke his opponent (another forfeited die).
Iniuriosus struggles to close the distance. An attack and an extended lung are parried by the Murmillo’s scutum.

Round 3
Crixus is on fire. He’s got the initiative again and rushes the Hoplomachus. An aimed strike hits the lead arm for the third time, inflicting a new flesh wound.

Iniurosus has to forfeit the match he’s lead arm is now disabled.

Appeal to the crowd : 2d6-1 (did not wound his opponent) = 5 = divided.
Appeal to the Editor : 2d6 = 7 = Mitte.
Fame +1 (+1 offered Missio)

Victory for Crixus (Ludus of Franck)
Fame +5 (+3 winning the match, + 1 auctoratus win, +1 two favour tokens)

The next Munus to follow will be the Saturnalia...

« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 06:27:09 PM by Eithriall »

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
Re: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...
« Reply #933 on: September 05, 2022, 01:23:35 PM »
Last weekend my opponent and I managed to find the time to give v.1.4 a run on the Table of Honour. We managed two bouts before time was called. We played them as ‘standalone’ games but did roll for (different) Munus events and Match events just to get a bit more breadth of experience in our playtesting.

1.   Secutor vs Retiarius.
The classic matchup that never gets old. This one was played out in a heatwave with Good Omens going to the Chaser.

I put forward my finest egg-helmeted dude, a criminal Numidian, whose combination of traits (Aggressive and Chaser) gave him plenty of options in action dice modification. Being Resilient and taking one off my opponent’s wound roll was also super handy. The netman was also able to chop and change with the Evasive trait alone making him almost spoilt for choice.

Above: View from the cheap seats, the bout begins

The match started with a net toss straight away, my opponent’s regular opening gambit with the Retiarius. A good cast early on can be pretty decisive. But losing the net is a risk. Still, if you didn’t want to take risks you shouldn’t have been captured in war (I think this guy was Parthian from memory).  Anyway, out goes the net cast - my Eastern opponent was also a southpaw so we’re pretty sure we were correct in applying the +1 he’d get in any other attack. The throw is a good one but only causes ‘Jugurtha’ to forfeit the single action die. This is followed by a variety of jabs from the trident causing a fatigue rather than a wound (thanks, Resilience).

Jugurtha takes a while to get free of the net. Temporarily losing one die is an annoyance rather than a disaster and he elects to use the laurels he has at his disposal for defence to get the Scutum between him and his demise rather than concentrating on sloughing off the net straight away. Even semi-tangled a Secutor can be a dangerous proposition and after a series of ‘standard’ attacks, aimed strikes and driven attacks – a seemingly weak feint (die roll of five) that the Retiarius attempted to dodge rather than parry (defence roll of 4) – draws blood in the netman’s lead leg . The audience like the splash of claret to confirm that the blades are as sharp as the event promoter promised. The slight lull here allows Jugurtha to divest himself of his impediment and get to work. From here he’d also position himself so that net reclamation was not on the cards.

Above: One and done: the Secutor keeps himself between the net and its owner

While all this has been going on the relentless Italian sun has been beating down and the bareheaded boy from Ecbatana is having the better of it as Jugurtha boils in his heavy gear passing the point of no return on the fatigue track.  This causes him the big man from Bescera to see red and (having no respites or laurels) he elects to push forward and try to land as many attacks as he can. His fresher opponent attempts to weather the storm and grind him down. The Secutor was getting in what felt like three attacks to every riposte but just couldn’t quite pierce the Retiarius’ defences. Things were getting desperate and he was close to collapse from exhaustion but finally managed to draw in his opponent with a feint, taking the last available parry token, and followed it up with a ‘normal’ attack that got through  and inflicted a slow kill on the lead leg again.

“The netman doesn’t have a leg to stand on”, jokes the garum importer next to the Editor and there’s the raised finger seeking Missio. The crowed enjoyed the fight and have no hesitation in sending the Parthian back to the sheds for some treatment and another chance in the arena.

Post-game admin saw Jugurtha progress quite well with a win and two favour tokens while the Ecbatana Entangler gets a point for showing up and, more importantly, the right treatment for him to get the leg healed up quicker than expected. Scar-free too but better than most alternatives.

Post-match thoughts: The bout played out well and with the different options at no stage did either of us feel like there was nothing we could do. The ability to do a two-for-one swap for a manoeuvrer die kept the bout going and the heat wave munus event really influenced the way it played out. Overall, a very enjoyable game that could have gone either way.

2.   Provocator vs Thracian
A bit of a fruity one as this ‘no matched pairs’ event had spiky poles set out in the arena to make life difficult for the protagonists. There wasn’t a lot of thought in pairing up the fighters – just using the other class on the print out. In my case, the Thracian and my opponent unpacked his Provocator. Both of them Were Britons recently captured and maybe even from rival tribes (I’m just making this bit up now as I write, like all good sports journalists). In contrast to the last bout, neither of use was able to modify dice at all so it was a case of using what the Gods deliver. We were both fierce so didn’t manage to unnerve each other but the size of the heavily armoured Brigante gave my Thracian Trinovante some pause. Still, the bigger they come and all that.

Above: Heavy vs medium - the match begins

The match commenced with a bit of a furry of blows from the big man, hard going for the nimble small shield fighter to deal with but he stayed with it and was hooking around with the best of them landing several strikes behind the Scutum of the Provocator but none telling as wherever he hits seems to be very well armoured. By contrast the Big Brigante is stabbing and slapping with his shield using the very handy shield barge special attack as a standard ‘go to’ which works perfectly with his Large physique. Initially, this doesn’t hurt too much but does draw out the parry tokens and sets up the follow-up stab very nicely. One gets through and brushes the torso but even with all his strength behind it a wound roll of 2 isn’t enough to worry the Thracian.

Above: Barbed posts add to the challenges

The match progresses with Togidumnus the Trinovante steadily giving ground and managing one or two attacks a turn but the combination of dice aren’t really letting him exploit his manoeuvrability or replenish his parries so on several turns attack die are unspent as they just can’t be used. Things are a bit more favourable for the Provocator as he managed to get the combinations he needs to keep up the fight – landing a grazing blow through the helmet - but is getting closer to becoming fatigued.

Togidumnus tried to keep the pressure on and push his burly opponent over the fatigue line and is close to doing so when after the regular shield barge is avoided the follow-up heavy strike is not and by a huge margin so it’s +2 on the damage table, along with +1 for the strike and another +2 for being Large. The dice determine that the blow is on the torso and the raw damage roll of 11 (modified up to 16) means that Togidumnus is dead before he hits the sand as the Brigante’s gladius punches through his ribcage and skewers his heart.

Above: The crowd go berserk - the Thracian goes down

There is no after match warm-down for the Thracian but The Provocator does pretty well out of the crowd as he won, with a couple of favour tokens and got his victory with a killing blow – fans will remember him as one to watch in the future.

Post-match thoughts: This played very differently as the mutual inability to alter the action dice meant that it really was a case of playing what we were given. The Thracian is, and remains, one of my favourite classes and has some huge advantages with his hook around attack and Dominant trait so he’s always going to be a tricky proposition but a Provocator with the Large trait is and remains something of a tank. An opponent needs to get lucky to land a telling blow and avoid their shield barge which had me spending a manoeuvre die on trying to avoid the trip on the Collision Table – gotta do it otherwise with a Scutum it’s a 50/50 chance of something bad – or very bad indeed –happening. We took it that for those times without a manoeuvrer die, the target of a shield barge could convert two dice to get one – was that right?

Final thoughts on both matches. Not much more to say than what I have already written. Both bouts played well, but were very different so definitely avoided being ‘samey’. No huge or even small dramas apparent here.  Really, I’d suggest that the rules are pretty much ready to go.

Speaking of rules, here are my observation/ questions on this latest draft:

•   Love the concept of Apathy tokens. They didn’t come into play but are a very effective disincentive for
        players not to stuff around (or throw too much sand).

•   The parries and ‘one off’ tokens worked nicely. Like ‘em.

•   The traits work pretty well. Some are a bit better than others but none are terrible and, as with other
         things in life, a lot of the time it’s not what you have - it’s what you do with it that counts.

•   The new Pursuing attack works well for the Sector – allows them to keep up the pressure but it’s not overpowered in the face of
        the Retiarius’ ability to retreat without disfavour.

•   The turn sequence is very logical and progresses the game nicely.

•   The negative effect of being against the arena wall is interesting, while we didn’t use it, it did figure into my decision making –
        simply to avoid the threat and to also keep it in mind for some of the special attacks which limit or remove an opponent’s ability to
        choose their retreat path.

•   Neither of us tried provoking and only rarely had the leisure to play to the crowd (usually unsuccessfully) as we were too busy with
        other competing priorities.

•   The double 1/double 6 on attack and defence rolls are pretty much bang-on. They add a bit of uncertainty to it all.

•   Of all the new attacks, I really like the feint. It does what it should in drawing out a parry that may be unnecessary and give the
        attacker an edge for later attacks. A simple and superb mechanic that really hits the mark.

•   The new post-match divided crowd outcome looks good. We didn’t use it ourselves but looks quite sensible.

I hope this is helpful. You’re onto a winner here.

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #934 on: September 05, 2022, 07:05:41 PM »

Ludi of Franck and Julia

Year I / Munus IV :  Saturnalia

Munus event : Blood soaked arena

Game I - Opening : Torentius (Retiarius) vs Tigris (Secutor)

Match event : ignore match pairing (ignored by the Lanistae).

Torentius is an Arabian condemned criminal (tier o – traits : Fierce/Large) versus Tigris, another condemned criminal from Egypt (Tier 1 – trait : Fierce/Cunning/Relentless).

Torentius, facing a tier 1 Gladiator in the opening fights of the Saturnalia is a little impressed (1 forfeited die).

Round 1
Tigris (+2 initiative bonus) is the first fighter in action. His attempt in a circling attack is well parried by the trident of Torentius (double 6 rolled) but he manages to keep his balance. He moves again to close the distance but his attack is parried again.
The Retiarius moves then strikes in the wild with the trident. An extended lunge then hits violently the helmet. Tigris shouts and starts to bleed (deep wound to the head).

Round 2
Tigris comes to his senses (respite) then moves to try another circling attack, but defended by Torentius. The next move and attack are parried again.
Torentius who doesn’t want to get closer tries another extended lunge without effect and moves away. He manages to provoke his opponent (1 forfeited die).

Round 3
For the first time, the Retiarius catches the initiative then immediatly moves to cast his net. It’s a hit, but the net does not completely impede his opponent (1 forfeited die).
Tigris uses a fervour token previously exchanded with a laurel die to recover his 2 forfeited dice (Relentless trait). Then he respites and moves to do an inefective attack.

Round 4
Tigris takes the initiative back. He moves and attacks but Torentius dodges the gladius.
Torentius keeps his opponent at a distance with an extended lunge then manages to cross a pool of blood to close his net (+2 moves towards the net).

Round 5
Tigris is now fatigued and gives the initiative to Torentius.
The Retiarius immediately moves to recover his net and throws it again...but misses the target.
Tigris who took the risk of letting Torentius approach now tries a circling attack to stay close. He hits the lead arm of his opponent inflicting him a deep wound. He’s next relentless attack is a fail.

Round 6
Tigris pushes the Retiarius towards a pool of blood but the Arabian criminal avoids slipping. Another ferocious attack is parried by the trident. Then Tigris moves backward to catch his breath.
Torentius manages to recover his net and he too takes the time to breathe (1 disfavour).

Round 7
Torentius manages to hold the initiative. Wanting to throw his net, he fails to cross another pool of blood to close the Secutor. He drops his net but succeds to immediately recover it and throwing it...but he misses again the target. As his arm bleed, it’s time to respite.
Tigris bleeds too and want to finish the fight. He runs and hits the head of Torentius with a driven attack, only inflicting a fatigue with the hit, but another fatigue by pushing the Retiarius in a pool of blood for a new slide… Time to respite for the Chaser

Torentius is now fatigued.

Round 8
Tigris takes some times to breathe (respite x2) then moves for a driven attack. The Retiarius makes a great defense (double 6 rolled) but the Secutor remains solid on his legs.
Torentius tries to fatigue is adversary but fails in his attack. Then he takes some time to breathe and to get his net back.

Round 9
Tigris tries to line different attacks but Torentius escapes every time. Tigris is near exhausted and blows loudly (respite x2).
Torentius doesn't feel good either. After some breaths he moves and strikes with the trident but with no effect.

Round 10
Tigris puts his last forces in two wild attacks, a relentless one easily parried but the next one is just terrific and hits the head of Torentius for a bad wound (slow kill).

Torentius immediately forfeits the match.

Appeal to the crowd= 6 : divided.
Appeal to the Editor = 11 : mitte.
Injury table = unheald
Fame + 2 (+1 missio, +1 Saturnalia)

Victory for Tigris (Ludus of Julia)
Fame +5 (+3 win, +1 two favour tokens, +1 Saturnalia).
+1 crown

Year I / Munus IV :  Saturnalia

Munus event : Blood soaked arena

Game II – Main event : Funestus (Thraex) vs Crixus (Murmillo)

Match event : no match event

The main event of this Munus opposes Funestus the Thraex and best gladiator of the Ludus of Julia (Tier 2 / Traits : Quick/Left hander/Strong/Aggressive + Signature move : Driven Hook around) with Crixus a tier 0 Murmillo but the best fighter that the Ludus of Franck has to offer (Traits : Vigorous/Son of Pluto).

Round 1
Funestus (+2 initiative bonus) is not the best gladiator for nothing ! On his first attempt with his signature move (the terrible Driven Hook around) he directly inflicts a flesh wound to the lead arm of the Murmillo. His next attack is parried and he fails to play with the crowd….as he is the favorite he as to show more.
Crixus not impressed goes to the assault but his eagerness betrays him (double 1 rolled). He manages to stay upright. His next attack is a fail but he provokes his opponent (1 forfeited die).

Round 2
Funestus recovers his forfeited die then advances to do his signature move who strikes the scutum.
The challenger wants to prove his worth. He moves and does an impetus attack but well parried by the Thraex. His next strike is another fail. He then catches his breath.

Round 3
Crixus takes the initiative! He moves (with two discarded dice) and attacks without success. Time to respite.
Funestus rushes and hits the head of the Murmillo with his sica striking the helmet in a glancing blow. His signature move is really painful for Crixus. A second strike hits the helmet again for the same result…Fortunate Murmillo.

Round 4
A new Driven Hook around is well defended by Crixus. Then the Thraex moves backward to catch his breath.
Crixus breaks the distance with a move and a rush attack. He is almost surprised when his gladius hits Funestus to his rear leg, inflicting him a flesh wound as the crowd roars with pleasure. As he plays with the crowd, the crowd rewards him with another favour token. The the Murmillo succeeds to provoke the ferocious Thraex (1 forfeited die).

Round 5
Funestus keeps the initiative and recovers his forfeited die. Then his next attack hits the lead arm of the Murmillo in a glancing blow. Now is the time for another signature move, and a terrible one. The head of Crixus is hit again and the blow put an end to the fight (slow kill).

Crixus has to forfeits the match.

Appeal to the crowd = 11 (Mitte).
Injury tabe = unheald
Fame +4 (+1 missio, +1 two favour tokens, +1 if opponent’s tier is 2 or more higher than yours, +1 Saturnalia)
Crixus is now tier 1.

Victory for Funestus (Ludus of Julia)
Fame +4 (+3 winning the match, +1 two favour tokens, -1 if opponent’s tier is 2 or more lower than yours, +1 Saturnalia).
+1 crown

Funestus becomes the new Champion.

The results after one year of fightings :

Ludus of Franck     
Crixus (Murmillo – tier 1) : fame 9 (1 win / 1 missio)         
Belliger (Provocator – tier 0) : fame 4 (1 win)
Torentius (Retiarius – tier 0) : fame 2 (1 missio)
Atrox (Murmillo – tier 1) : put to death by the Editor
Ajax (Secutor – tier 1) : put to death by the crowd
Tetraites (Hoplomachus – tier 1) : KIA
Ermanamer (Thraex – tier 1) : KIA
Eithriall (Secutor – tier 0)
Felix (Hoplomachus – tier 0)
Thor (Thraex – tier 0)

Total fame : 15 :'(

Ludus of Julia
Funestus The Champion (Thraex – tier 2) : fame 21 (5 wins / 1 missio / 1 kill)
Tigris (Secutor – tier 1) : fame 13 (3 wins / 1 missio)
Vegetus (Murmillo – tier 1) : fame 13 (3 wins / 1 missio / 1kill)
Hyperion (Provocator – tier 1) : fame 9 (2 wins / 2 missio)
Asprinus (Retiarius – tier 0)  : fame 5 (1 win)
Iniuriosus (Hoplomachus – tier 0) : fame 1 (1 missio)

Total fame : 62 + 5 bonus Champion : 67  :o
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 07:45:54 PM by Eithriall »

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #935 on: September 05, 2022, 09:47:45 PM »
Great reports as usual Franck and an exciting conclusion to the campaign.

I really thought for a moment that Crixus might pull off a surprise win. At least he survived the bout and continues to be the hope of Ludus Franck.

Julia really steamrolled you, but the fact that she had not lost a single gladiator and you lost four made the big difference.

Again thank you for the entertaining accounts. I'll PM you.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #936 on: September 05, 2022, 09:52:10 PM »
These have been very interesting and suspenseful reads - where have the latest rule updates been published?

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #937 on: September 05, 2022, 10:16:40 PM »
Last weekend my opponent and I managed to find the time to give v.1.4 a run on the Table of Honour. We managed two bouts before time was called. We played them as ‘standalone’ games but did roll for (different) Munus events and Match events just to get a bit more breadth of experience in our playtesting.

Almost missed your report there Muzfish crammed between Franck's epics!!

Excellent reports and observations. Your slight Aussie spin on proceedings had me chuckling. So glad you could give it another go.

I'm glad you like the feint attack. It works nicely in my opinion too and is very effective if performed at the right time. Drawing out a Parry token now for a later better Special Attack is text book Gladiator 101.

As it stands a gladiator with no available MANEUOVRE Dice may elect to spend any two ACTION Dice to make a single hex space move only. So unfortunately you should not have used them to avoid the Shield Barge. Have you any thoughts on the new Shield Barge table Muzfish?

Again thanks so much for putting BotS through her paces - it is appreciated.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #938 on: September 05, 2022, 10:19:38 PM »
These have been very interesting and suspenseful reads - where have the latest rule updates been published?

I am still in the process of looking for a publisher WuZhuiQiu. But any support, comments, and interest, shown here on this thread could help that along.

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #939 on: September 08, 2022, 08:47:29 AM »
Why not self publish as pdf?  I for one would snap up a copy of these.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #940 on: September 08, 2022, 11:51:53 AM »
Almost missed your report there Muzfish crammed between Franck's epics!!

Excellent reports and observations. Your slight Aussie spin on proceedings had me chuckling. So glad you could give it another go.

I'm glad you like the feint attack. It works nicely in my opinion too and is very effective if performed at the right time. Drawing out a Parry token now for a later better Special Attack is text book Gladiator 101.

As it stands a gladiator with no available MANEUOVRE Dice may elect to spend any two ACTION Dice to make a single hex space move only. So unfortunately you should not have used them to avoid the Shield Barge. Have you any thoughts on the new Shield Barge table Muzfish?

Again thanks so much for putting BotS through her paces - it is appreciated.

Thanks, Furt. Glad my thoughts were useful and thanks for the correction on the shield barge table. I think the table itself works well but really does favour, as you'd expect, the Strong and the Large - the meanies!  :)

I like the disincentive in that if it goes wrong a die is temporarily forfeited which makes is a  bit of a gamble and the -1 for a Scutum-equipped foe as it stops some match-ups becoming pushing matches. That said, a successful barge goes from bad to horrendous and can ruin one's day very quickly so it's a high risk high return sort of thing.

Just wondering about publishing - will it be for a book only or will there be bespoke action dice? I'd be in for a set or two if they were going.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #941 on: September 09, 2022, 05:03:15 AM »
Why not self publish as pdf?  I for one would snap up a copy of these.

Thanks for the support wkeyser. Yes this time around self publishing is certainly a possibility but only after I've exhausted any professional publishing opportunities.

Just wondering about publishing - will it be for a book only or will there be bespoke action dice? I'd be in for a set or two if they were going.

That would firstly be dependent on if I find a publisher and if they deem it necessary. Although rolling standard d6 is perfectly serviceable, rolling dedicated action dice is much more thematic and intuitive.  I have a little experience dealing with manufactures in China so If I was to self publish I would certainly get custom dice made.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #942 on: September 17, 2022, 04:55:55 AM »
I have finally finished my arena for Blood on the Sands and I'm happy to say that playing on it has been very easy and not at all restrictive. It has many 3d printed spectators from the excellent Iain Lovecraft Gladiator range along with some from March to Hell Rome series. Both are highly recommended and mix well enough together. The paint job on them will definitely not win any awards but the overall effect is what I had hoped for. It was quite a bit of work finishing the seventy odd figures, especially considering they are little more than a glorified backdrop to what ever is going on down on the arena floor.

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #943 on: September 17, 2022, 12:38:17 PM »
That arena is great, I love all the animated spectators.  Nice work!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #944 on: September 17, 2022, 04:02:02 PM »
Really lovely terrain piece and given what it is wargame table  lol