Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:54:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690886
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193308 times)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **(Updated 26/5)**
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
Looking forward to it, I will be triumphant over Bibbles the Giant in the arena. :D

It is settled then...

Wobbly Bibbles Maximus vs Malamutius Calvus - may the best man win.  ;)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2013, 01:21:59 PM »
Maximus Bibbilous please  :D

I though you said they were OG  ???

Never mind eh  o_o

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2013, 01:55:28 AM »
Sorry if answered already, but who does the Livia figure?
This is my boomstick!

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »
Well, I've been beavering away cutting out counters ready for tomorrow - I've decided it would be an acceptable use of lesson time to get my A-level Classics students to give Blood on the Sands a go as a playtest for Furt. There have to be some perks to being a teacher, eh?  lol lol

If that doesn't work out I should be able to get a solo playtest in at some point over the next few days.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2013, 10:24:25 PM »
Painting my gladiators in the next couple of days, then on holiday for a week where I intend to read the rules thoroughly whilst casually sipping my martini at the beach. :)

"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2013, 01:00:45 AM »
Painting my gladiators in the next couple of days, then on holiday for a week where I intend to read the rules thoroughly whilst casually sipping my martini at the beach. :)

In Devon  ???

cheers

James

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2013, 01:14:52 AM »
I hope to get in a game over the holiday, and I've even recruited a semi-willing opponent!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2013, 01:38:32 AM »
The rules have not yet been released yet, correct?

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2013, 04:51:03 AM »
Well, I've been beavering away cutting out counters ready for tomorrow - I've decided it would be an acceptable use of lesson time to get my A-level Classics students to give Blood on the Sands a go as a playtest for Furt. There have to be some perks to being a teacher, eh?  lol lol

Looking forward to hearing how the rules fare amongst a bloodthirsty crowd of students!!

In Devon  ???

lol - at least he's going on a holiday.

The rules have not yet been released yet, correct?

No not as of yet. The combat rules are being playtested at the moment, with the campaign rules to follow.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
In Devon  ???

cheers

James

You haven't seen the weather forecast for next week. A tropical heatwave is due for the south West of England :D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »
You haven't seen the weather forecast for next week. A tropical heatwave is due for the south West of England :D

I can guarantee that it won't be as hot as it has been here  ;D

cheers

James

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2013, 06:52:18 PM »
I've had a quick playtest of these rules now, although a quick re-read since I got home suggests I didn't quite get bleeding/fatigue right or remember favour/disfavour each time. It was an absolute blast - recommended highly - and I can't wait to play more.

LAF review
blog post

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »
Awesome Mister Rabs - a good read.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2013, 09:45:39 PM »
Glad you liked the write-up, we certainly enjoyed playing  :D

(Of course, having got myself down to a single painting project, I'm now searching for more gladiator miniatures to supplement the prepainted ones I have  ::))

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
For the benefit of the playtesters (and anyone else interested) I will endeavor to post here an example of combat for Blood on the Sands. Firstly I’ll introduce our two combatants and show in detail the relevant placement of counters on their play sheets.

The match will be fought between a murmillo, Marcus, and a thraex, Titus.

Marcus is more experienced (Prowess of 4) than his opponent and both stronger and sturdier (Strength and Stamina of 4). His attributes are marked with appropriately coloured counters. An armatura sheet representing the armour of a murmillo is placed in the box provided. This sheet lists the difficulty to wound particular areas of Marcus’ body and will also be the place where any wounds will be recorded. The heavy scutum a murmillo wields increases the difficulty of his Speed tests to 5+ and a counter is placed here to remind the players.

Along with the scutum, Marcus wields a gladius in his main hand. Weapon counters are placed in the appropriate hand boxes. Although a solid defence, his scutum will cause him to tire after time. A fatiguing shield counter and two hourglass counters are placed in his fatigue box to represent this. An hourglass counter will be removed each turn, after which he will start to feel the load of his shield weighing on him. Let’s hope he has dispatched his opponent by then. Fresh from a recent victory Marcus has accumulated a fame counter, which is placed in his crowd favour box. The crowd begin on Marcus’ side and he may use their cheers to spur him on. Lastly, Marcus considers himself spurned by the goddess Fortuna, and considering he is a gladiator, he may just have a point. He has the “Unlucky” trait and a counter is placed to remind both players of this. His opponent may force Marcus to reroll any dice roll once during the match.

Titus is making his debut in the arena and as gladiators go he is of fairly average ability and skill.  He does have the “Nimble” trait although and exhibits a natural quickness (Speed 4). A trait counter is placed by his Speed score to remind the player that Titus will always have at least 1 success during a Speed test. A thraex armatura sheet is placed in the appropriate box. The armament of a thraex differs from a murmillo in a few ways. Titus’ shield is smaller and lighter than his opponent’s and both of his legs are armoured to compensate. Any wounds Titus suffers will be placed on this sheet.

Titus is armed with a sica and a square parma (shield).  The curved sica sword is a weapon unique to a thraex and is designed to reach around an opponent’s shield. Should one of Titus’ attacks be reduced to exactly 0 successes, his curved sica will still allow his blow to strike, when it usually would be defended. Weapon counters are placed in the hand boxes. His shield is less effective than a scutum, but weighs much less and will not fatigue him. He does not place any of the fatigue counters that Marcus has. Titus has no further fatigue, favour or trait counters to place. He gulps nervously and steps forward into the bright sunlight…

A turn by turn example of combat to follow soon(ish).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:26:50 AM by Furt »