Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:24:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193409 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW Armatura Sheet 21/8/13**
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2013, 10:47:11 AM »
The houses of Medicus Mortem, Biblius the Flos and Malamutius Calvus will be meeting tonight to spill much needed blood and spend coin.

Hopefully some pictures will follow ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2013, 11:11:24 AM »

Great!! Reserving a ring side seat in anticipation. Could do with a snack though...

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar. Tuscany fried bats."
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2013, 11:26:49 AM »
Great!! Reserving a ring side seat in anticipation. Could do with a snack though...

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar. Tuscany fried bats."

lol

We'll be having Pizza.  :D

Its traditional at our games nights and being Italian it fits the theme lol

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2013, 12:49:24 PM »
We'll be having Pizza.  :D

What would gaming be without pizza? Now make sure you kill someone this game Nick - cheat if you have to!  ;)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. So this sheet will be used with overlays of individual armor and weapons to demonstrate the gladiators ponopoly for each type? Sort of like a paper doll? Will these arms/armor be in the graphic itself or cut-outs that you add to the doll yourself as your equipment varies?

Steve

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. So this sheet will be used with overlays of individual armor and weapons to demonstrate the gladiators ponopoly for each type? Sort of like a paper doll? Will these arms/armor be in the graphic itself or cut-outs that you add to the doll yourself as your equipment varies?

Steve

The updated mosaic 'armatura sheet' is a smallish 3.5" x 5" template with armor stats specific to each class of gladiator. My current plan is to depict each gladiator with his generally accepted historical weapon and armor load out. This little sheet is laid on top of the main 'playsheet'. Counters are then placed on top of both, since they fluctuate. Your playsheet has an area off to the side where you place an actual weapon counter- since it is possible to be disarmed it is designed to be removable.

If you take a look at page 1, you'll see a generic playsheet with a white 'armature' sheet laid on top of it, labelled 'Murmillo'.

I hope that helps.

For those questioning the amount of colored ink used- when I printed the playtest files I had three armatura on one page (I think 12 at most, so four pages) a playsheet, and two pages of counters (not full pages), a QRF, and lastly a 'gladiator record sheet'. I don't think I'm missing anything. To be honest I'm not sure this HAS to be printed in color at all.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:23:29 PM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2013, 05:45:19 PM »
I suppose it's time to have the 'which hand holds the net' discussion since that's what I'm working on next  lol

I placed the net in the left hand, the arm with the manica and galerus.

I went that route because of these images:

But, there's about an equal amount of counter evidence so I really don't know. I know I'd want the trident in my best hand, AND I'd ALSO want the net in my best hand especially if I want to wing it off a nice distance. I think it stands to reason that a retiarius would want his galerus facing the opponent as much as possible, and that a long hafted weapon would be easier to manipulate if it was on the other, right hand side. I think it would be easier to get the trident into the positions in the above mosaics if it is held in the right (unarmored) hand.

I suspect that not all retiarius fought the same way, but who knows? It was probably pretty fluid. If I recall correctly the Romans didn't care what your dominant hand was, you were training the same way. But, there are historical records of gladiators that switched it up and fought with the left hand dominant.

Maybe, for armatura purposes it doesn't matter, and the player can pick which hand he puts the actual counters on, and can switch them after a net cast. I don't know if that's reflected in the rules? Is disarming a weapon held in two hands the same as any other disarm?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:49:04 PM by Dr Mathias »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »
Most miniatures portray it that way anyway, and as you said the tokens can be placed in either hand.  Just go with what you've chosen, not a big deal!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2013, 09:41:17 PM »
The houses of Medicus Mortem, Biblius the Flos and Malamutius Calvus will be meeting tonight to spill much needed blood and spend coin.

Live from the ring side we have the first bout of Kneadsa Wrest, a Mermillo from Graecia and Pernix the Thraex from Gaul.

The initial set up (good coffe table game this  :) )

A lot of cut and thrust and was fairly fair even though Pernix was a level higher than Kneadsa.

The tide started to turn though with Pernix having the advantage in arena dice and the fact that Kneadsa kept dropping his bloody weapons...

Kneadsa finally had to ask for missio as I didn't want to loose another member of the Ludus so quick  lol

The second match is progressing as I type and I'm sure that a short report will be forth coming  :D

cheers

James
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:02:59 PM by jimbibbly »
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2013, 09:56:21 PM »
Live from the ring side we have the first bout of Kneadsa Wrest, a Mermillo from Graecia and Pernix the Thraex from Gaul.

A live report - awesome!!  :o  :o  :o

The arena looks great guys - poor clumsy Kneadsa  :(, but happy days Pernix  :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW AAR 23/8/13**
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2013, 10:05:54 PM »
Awesome stuff...I expect photos of the second match to become more blurred, less organized table as the beer bottles stack up... :D

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »

A "paper doll" was actually one of my original concepts for the game, but was not practical (although very cool). As Dr Mathias has kindly explained, each armatura (style of gladiator) will have its own small sheet. There are only nine such types, but should each player be fighting with the same type of gladiator, you may need two of the same sheet.

For those questioning the amount of colored ink used- when I printed the playtest files I had three armatura on one page (I think 12 at most, so four pages) a playsheet, and two pages of counters (not full pages), a QRF, and lastly a 'gladiator record sheet'. I don't think I'm missing anything. To be honest I'm not sure this HAS to be printed in color at all.

I am unsure at the moment exactly what format the finished product will take. The sheets may be provided, printed on light card stock, cost permitting.

Maybe, for armatura purposes it doesn't matter, and the player can pick which hand he puts the actual counters on, and can switch them after a net cast. I don't know if that's reflected in the rules? Is disarming a weapon held in two hands the same as any other disarm?

I guess it doesn't really matter ruleswise, but I would like to get the hands right. I've always thought the opposite, left hand trident, right hand net, but I'm far from an expert. Now I'm starting to seriously  doubt my line of thinking... :?
The trident and spear do both receive a small bonus to resist being disarmed, regardless of hands etc.
If think I will have another chat to some "experts" on more gladiator focused forum, and see if we can't come up with a definitive answer.

Awesome stuff...I expect photos of the second match to become more blurred, less organized table as the beer bottles stack up... :D

lol  lol  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2013, 10:19:05 PM »
Breaking news!

Nisus the Retiarius from Hispania defeats Engle the unpopular, (Secutor) with a fine display of skill and dexterity in a match that lasted approximately 6 rounds.

Nisus used his trident to its full potential making savage thrusts to Engle's legs leaving one disabled and the other seriously damaged. Engle fell to the floor on several occasions. Nisus retiring each time to recover his stamina. Engle eventually lost the use of his Gladius arm with another trident thrust and asked for Missio....

Engle will return again under his new name Engle the Bearable.

Photos soon.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:20:39 PM by Malamute »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »
Gits!

You mean that you are playing Gladiators AND drinking beer while some of us are at work?
 >:( >:( >:(

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2013, 10:25:32 PM »
Gits!

You mean that you are playing Gladiators AND drinking beer while some of us are at work?
 >:( >:( >:(

lol

Yes indeedy :D